Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cursed.....errr blessed with pretty short legs....lol I am not exactly comfortable with my feet touching the ground on my 05' R6, I would like to lower the bike anywhere from a 1/2"- 1" is this possible/safe???? what would I need to have done or what parts are needed? Im a noobie here, so please dont flame me too much :popcorn

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
You might want to look at modifying the seat. I know of a few people that have shaved their seat, to get that lowered stance. Achieve the lowered look without modifying the machine's suspension, esp. on an SS where you probably don't want to do that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
two of my friends had there seats shaved, looks factory. Where are you at in PA, like New Oxford? If so I can get you in contact with who they went through

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whack said:
two of my friends had there seats shaved, looks factory. Where are you at in PA, like New Oxford? If so I can get you in contact with who they went through
nah, the Oxford I live in is 45mi SW of Philly. Id appreciate it if you can provide me an idea of a place to do the seat, a 1/2" would prolly do the trick.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I work at a Yamaha dealership and I know that we have lowered an 05 r6 for an inseam challenged. It will drop the bike 1 1\2 to 2" that may be more than you need though. If you need 1' or less have the sides of the seat shaved, this will remove width width from the seat and make it easier for you to touch the ground.
Good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Being a short shit at 5'3 and 110lbs... I was going through the same dilemma when I got my 05...

I can barely touch the ground either...But I find that the more you feel comfortable with the bike--- the less you care about completely flat footing.

I would suggest finding an adequate pair of boots that allow you enough versatility to ride and shift...but give you a bit of height from the sole to the point where you feel comfortable with your feet on the ground. Even if you can flat foot with one....and get the ball of your other on the ground... you'll be way ahead of me!

Here's a pic of my feet barely touching the ground...haha

(the ball of my left foot is barely on the ground- and the tip of my right...)

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GYT-R6 I have been thinking about what you mentioned about the boots, Im not too bad as far as my feet touching but Id like a little more foot on the ground, Im also gonna look into shaving my seat

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think if you shaved the seat and found some decent boots you'd probably be set...

If you do in fact shave your seat....let me know how it goes...Do you plan on doing it or having a professional do it?

Either way let me know how it turns out... if it's a fairly cheap...easy method I may consider it....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Everyone Im new here but this topic is something that intrests me as well.
I might be getting an R6 next week but I have not been able to sit on one to see how it feels as far as seat hight. Im am 5'6-5'7 and 190. Do any of you think I will have much trouble reaching the ground on an 05 R6? The seat hight is at 32.3" and the inseam I wear on my pants is a 32.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Warp_Speed said:
Hey Everyone Im new here but this topic is something that intrests me as well.
I might be getting an R6 next week but I have not been able to sit on one to see how it feels as far as seat hight. Im am 5'6-5'7 and 190. Do any of you think I will have much trouble reaching the ground on an 05 R6? The seat hight is at 32.3" and the inseam I wear on my pants is a 32.
youll be fine, Im 5'7"-5'8" but I have really short legs.............we're talking a 30" inseam, so Id say youll be fine :banana

·
Registered
136 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
youll be fine, Im 5'7"-5'8" but I have really short legs.............we're talking a 30" inseam, so Id say youll be fine :banana

awesome sounds good b/c I might be getting the bike unseen or unable to sit on it. One of the Yamaha Dealers is going to try and track one down for me on tues, if he can get one ( which he thinks he can but no promises) then I'll be going to pick it up shortly after that. I know the R6 is what I want though Ive done alot of reading on it and seems to be the best all around bike plus the looks on it are just killer.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warp_Speed said:
awesome sounds good b/c I might be getting the bike unseen or unable to sit on it. One of the Yamaha Dealers is going to try and track one down for me on tues, if he can get one ( which he thinks he can but no promises) then I'll be going to pick it up shortly after that. I know the R6 is what I want though Ive done alot of reading on it and seems to be the best all around bike plus the looks on it are just killer.
I ran into the same problem, I wanted a blue R6 and the dealer just couldnt find one, hell I even checked other dealers and nothing, they finally found me a blue one and yeah I feel the R6 is the best all around SS bike going right now, the looks take a back seat to NO ONE, alot of people rave about the Honda 600RR but that bike does nothing for me, your making a good choice with the 6, do you have a previous bike experience?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
I ran into the same problem, I wanted a blue R6 and the dealer just couldnt find one, hell I even checked other dealers and nothing, they finally found me a blue one and yeah I feel the R6 is the best all around SS bike going right now, the looks take a back seat to NO ONE, alot of people rave about the Honda 600RR but that bike does nothing for me, your making a good choice with the 6, do you have a previous bike experience?

Im hoping to get a blue one but if he can just find an R6 Im not going to be to picky on the color.

No I dont have any riding experience. Its 50/50 on what people have said as far as saying getting an R6 is fine for a first bike and other have said start smaller but I dont want smaller, I want something that looks nice and that I drool over when I open the garage door. I cant stand paying for something that I dont find awe inspiring when I look at it. The experiece I do have is w/ my 400 HP Mustang 5.0 which has tought me alot of discpine when it comes to speed/power.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Warp_Speed said:
Im hoping to get a blue one but if he can just find an R6 Im not going to be to picky on the color.

No I dont have any riding experience. Its 50/50 on what people have said as far as saying getting an R6 is fine for a first bike and other have said start smaller but I dont want smaller, I want something that looks nice and that I drool over when I open the garage door. I cant stand paying for something that I dont find awe inspiring when I look at it. The experiece I do have is w/ my 400 HP Mustang 5.0 which has tought me alot of discpine when it comes to speed/power.
well damn, I also have a Mustang, a Vortech supercharged 500+rwhp 89' Saleen Mustang :cheers that really helps alot, but the bike is quite different and can be overwhelming, just becareful. my car is every bit as fast as the R6 but it just feels different. your age will help you a litte too, your not so young that youll feel invincable and able to do anything on the bike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
well damn, I also have a Mustang, a Vortech supercharged 500+rwhp 89' Saleen Mustang :cheers that really helps alot, but the bike is quite different and can be overwhelming, just becareful. my car is every bit as fast as the R6 but it just feels different. your age will help you a litte too, your not so young that youll feel invincable and able to do anything on the bike.

Oh I know the whole Powerful car thing VS sportbikes is a whole other leauge. Yes it does help but Im well aware that just b/c I have blown Mustang does not mean I can handle a bike w/ no probs. Like you said Im not some young kid who has never driven anything more powerful then mom and dads 89 civic hatch and is now going out on a power trip for a sportbike.

BTW Mine's Paxton Novi 2000 Supercharged. Prob going to get sold once/ if I get an R6. I dont see myself being able to ballance both and I dont imagine that Id put the R6 up in the garage on a nice day to drive the stang either. Once I get a bike Im going to want to be on it all the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats on the bike if you do get it... I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't get it as a first bike...but sit on some bikes before you just buy it...to see if you really like it... Even if it's to sit on one and say "ugh I hate it"...and then like the R6 that much more... Just so you know why you DONT like the other bikes...

So when you get the call that he found one... go sit on it for a little while... stand it up...and just kinda... "feel it"

I'm sure you wont be disappointed, and you'll have a shit eating grin on your face from then on... but dont just look at it, sit on it and then buy it!

It's a beautiful machine- I know you'll love it... how can you resist it? It's so friggin sexy!

·
Registered
136 Posts
GYT-R6 said:
Congrats on the bike if you do get it... I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't get it as a first bike...but sit on some bikes before you just buy it...to see if you really like it... Even if it's to sit on one and say "ugh I hate it"...and then like the R6 that much more... Just so you know why you DONT like the other bikes...

So when you get the call that he found one... go sit on it for a little while... stand it up...and just kinda... "feel it"

I'm sure you wont be disappointed, and you'll have a shit eating grin on your face from then on... but dont just look at it, sit on it and then buy it!

It's a beautiful machine- I know you'll love it... how can you resist it? It's so friggin sexy!

I sat on an R6 today and Im seeing how a 04 CBR 600 RR feels tomorrow. I have to call the bank back tomorrow to see if I got the loan for the R6. One place turned me down but I hope my bank was/is more understanding. I had credit probs about 4 yrs ago and its comming back to bite me in the ass now. My current credit score is a 636, not perfect but not in the shitter either but the past is whats screwing me now. I could always try the yamaha card but how hard/easy is it to get approved for that even if its not for the 4.9 % that they advertise?

BTW after sitting on the R6 I wanted to go to the batroom and clean off my pants. I can get the balls of my feet down but not flat footed but enough so I dont think it would be a big issue. It felt really nice I just have to wait and see tomorrow if I can get into one. There is also a used 04 over in N.H that I might call on as well.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Warp_Speed said:
I sat on an R6 today and Im seeing how a 04 CBR 600 RR feels tomorrow. I have to call the bank back tomorrow to see if I got the loan for the R6. One place turned me down but I hope my bank was/is more understanding. I had credit probs about 4 yrs ago and its comming back to bite me in the ass now. My current credit score is a 636, not perfect but not in the shitter either but the past is whats screwing me now. I could always try the yamaha card but how hard/easy is it to get approved for that even if its not for the 4.9 % that they advertise?

BTW after sitting on the R6 I wanted to go to the batroom and clean off my pants. I can get the balls of my feet down but not flat footed but enough so I dont think it would be a big issue. It felt really nice I just have to wait and see tomorrow if I can get into one. There is also a used 04 over in N.H that I might call on as well.
go to a credit union, with a score of 636 it really shouldnt be problem, I say if your set on a 600 SS bike Id say go for the R6, the 600RR just does NOTHING for me, your not gonna notice a performance difference, a pro will see a difference, but you wont. I said it before and Ill say it again, the R6 is easily the sexiest 600 out there

·
Registered
136 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
I said it before and Ill say it again, the R6 is easily the sexiest 600 out there

I know I agree 100% and thats why Its my first choice. I tried a personal loan through our state employes credit union b/c Im employed through the state. They turned me down for $5,500 but that was a personal loan, it may be diffrent If I try to finiance it as well. I can also try the company that financed the loan for my truck that I got in OCT.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i just bought an r6, and i love it!!! its a great bike, i was lucky to get one too, b/c the dealers are having a very hard time keeping them in stock, they sell quick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts