Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower my SV when I move on to my next bike so that my wife can ride the SV. The thing is my wife is only 4'9" and can't get anywhere near the ground with her feet. I know you can lower bikes, but how? I know you can get lowering links, but isn't that just for the back? I REALLY want to do this right the first time. If it makes a difference I'm thinking she will need 2 to 4 inches.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Well, so far as her getting her feet down, I would think the back is where it matters, because the shock is right under the seat. It will steer like a bit of a boat (or cruiser) if you lower the back and not the front, I don't know if it will bother her. You can lower the front a bit by raising the forks. Besides the links you can replace the seat foam with a thinner higher density foam. If you want more details on this stuff, search or ask on www.svrider.com/phpbb/ I'm not too sure as I've never needed to lower a bike.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
try shaving the seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This will be her first bike so I really want the handling to be the best it can be. Sorry for sounding stupid, but what do you mean by 'raising the forks'. I'm still kind of new to the whole motorcycle tech stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
lowering an 03 R1

I'm pretty vertically challenged myself (5'5"), and the height on my bike is a problem for me as well. I'd like to lower it probably 1"-1 1/2" and get a thinner seat but wanted to see if anyone has any advice/experience on the subject.

First, does anyone have experience lowering an R1 w/ lowering links, how did it work out for you & did you do anything else to it? Any advice on a better option? Second, anyone know where I can find a thinner seat? I don't wanna lower the bike too much, so I figured lowering it a little and then getting a thinner seat should do the trick. Anyone got any helpful hints?

Thanks! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts