Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place)

I just sold my ninja 250 last sunday and am looking to pick up a 06 636. The problem is that im 5'3 with a 30" inseam and I'm on my tip toes when sitting on one

My friend said I'll have to lower it for sure, and I'd feel alot more comfortable with more foot on the ground. Is there anything I can do to avoid lowering it and messing up the handling? It needs to be dropped about 3 inches.

Thanks! :]

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
the seat can be shaved. pull the cover off, order seat foam from HT-Moto or a similar vender. glue the thinner foam to the seat pan and replace the cover. you may also want to shave the sides of the foam where your thighs will be so your legs won't be so splayed.

HT moto has seat foam from 5.5mm all the way to 18mm i believe. check their website.

HT MOTO - Custom Upholstery & Foam Traction for Motorcycles, ATV, Buggies & More!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Learn to tip toe it? Or slide over onto one foot during stops? Other than shaving the seat, if you really want to avoid lowering you dont have many other options

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If you are fairly light you can get away with a bit of lowering there are various lowering kits available for the rears to aid drag racing just remember whatever you do to the rear you will need to do to the front. Dropping the forks through the clamps will help a bit although you have to be careful not to set the front wheel up with not enough clearance on the radiator.

You may also gain a bit by setting the static sags for your weight which usually involves less preload.

Best bet is if you have a good suspension shop nearby go see them.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Hi everyone!

I just sold my ninja 250 last sunday and am looking to pick up a 06 636. The problem is that im 5'3 with a 30" inseam and I'm on my tip toes when sitting on one

My friend said I'll have to lower it for sure, and I'd feel alot more comfortable with more foot on the ground. Is there anything I can do to avoid lowering it and messing up the handling? It needs to be dropped about 3 inches.

So tip toe, I know a gal that is 5'3" and rides stock height 675 Daytonas, its the tallest bike in the class.

·
CCS# 616
915 Posts
Hi everyone!

Have you considered other bikes? A gsxr600 for instance will have an inch lower seat height stock.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Lowering the bike is a last resort, it throws off the geometry and reduces ground clearance causing more dangerous situations when cornering. Shave the seat, and get used to tip-toeing. Also depends a lot on your area and type of riding you do. If you are stoplight to stoplight then lower the bike for comfort.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Around here is alot of stop and go traffic. I looked at the gsxr but I'm not a huge fan of how it looks. Thank you for all the advice!

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You may also gain a bit by setting the static sags for your weight which usually involves less preload.

Best bet is if you have a good suspension shop nearby go see them.
I heard that setting the sag doesn't affect the seat height.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Maybe 115, asian.
You're talking about Umicheng? :) Yes, and she can handle herself well on it.

What I do, when I am about to stop, I shift to one side, and flat foot that one side. I only have to do it on new tires, though.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It will depend on exactly how the bike is set up already, however as far as I know the only large scale manufacturer to offer independent ride height adjustment is Ducati the rest it is a function of the preload.

So if the bike is already set up for a heavier rider backing off the preload will sit the bike down a bit, when the rider initially sits on the bike the suspension will also be working in a softer part of the spring travel. So the loaded seat height will be lower. Will it give you a lot not really but say 10-15mm out of a preload setting and another 5-10mm out of the seat and you've got almost a inch with very little outlay and you still haven't touched the overall suspension action/setup

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
It does but not really by a meaning full a amount, you are talking 30mm for track use and 35mm street static sag with a normal 120mm travel USD fork. Now if you set it for 40mm you are getting into the lower part of the travel, I wouldn't recommend 45 (if you can even get it there) you are really tempting fate with fork bottoming which is plain out dangerous.

It IS a difference in height, but you are talking 25mm to an inch. You get a better result by shaving the seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now when exactly does lowering the bike start messing with the handling? After sitting on a friend's 06 636 last night I don't think I would have to lower it all that much. Maybe I could get away with shaving the seat and lowering about 1/2 to 1" with links.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Now when exactly does lowering the bike start messing with the handling? After sitting on a friend's 06 636 last night I don't think I would have to lower it all that much. Maybe I could get away with shaving the seat and lowering about 1/2 to 1" with links.

I can feel the difference between moving my fork's up and down 5mm in the triple tree......or playing with the preload.

1 inch is a lot, these bikes are tuned within an inch of their life. The second you start lowering the body in relation to the ground you are adversely affecting the handling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can feel the difference between moving my fork's up and down 5mm in the triple tree......or playing with the preload.

1 inch is a lot, these bikes are tuned within an inch of their life. The second you start lowering the body in relation to the ground you are adversely affecting the handling.
That's a really small change jeez.. -.- guess ill shave the seat and live with the height after that. Does weight play a big role in the ride height? Im about 100 lbs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 44 Posts