Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
How much will lowering the rear of the bike affect handling. I have recently purchased a 2008 CBR1000RR and wanted some feed back. I can ride it where it is, but would like it better lowered.
Does anyone have any experience riding alowered sportbike, preferably a CBR?

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
Can't speak to a CBR and this is just my opinion....

Start with shaving the seat, leaving the bike as is. If I recall, you ain't got much seat to shave on a CBR. I would lower the rear and the front together, if you can. Depending on how much, you may have clearance issues or sidestand issues.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
are you lowering it for looks or are you having trouble getting your feet on the ground? you will lose performance in the corners. but if you're planning to lower and stretch it than you dont need to worry about that anyways

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was thinking about it because I am short legged. I can get used to it where it is. I don't want to mess up the handling.
Thanks.

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
It's better if you do not.
Clearance is the big issue I believe. Links and dropping the forks will not affect how the suspension behaves. But you will sooner be running hard parts on the ground.
If you can ride as is keep it that way.

But I have no experience in this department

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine has been lowered, bought it that way.

Still fricking rips through corners, still accelerates fast as all hell.

Did I mention I sit more upright so now I am more comfortable, I am also tall at 5 11.

I like it. I don't care if I lost a little corner performance.... still can go through corners over 100 easily..I'm not racing the GP on the street.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Very interested in this thread.

I'm interested in lowering the GSXR-600 because I cannot sit on it and have my feet completely flat on the ground.

I only need to lower the bike by maybe an ince at most.

I'm wondering how much this would effect the handling.

I'm no street racer.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Shaving the sides off the seat can make a big difference. It's not only height that keeps them feet up.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
if your only problem is flat footing the bike i would say just learn to ride it the way it is. save yourself some money and frustration instead of having to lower your next bike as well

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have mine lowered, u have to watch out for the corners, cause ur feet will grab. and its harder to pull up wheelies if they are lowered.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Maybe it is just the seat.....

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
If you don't want to mess with the handling, do not lower it...

Lower height = More stability
Lower height = Less maneuverabiliy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I'll check to see what I can do with the seat first and not lower the bike.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Just remove the tires. It's a free mod and you'll drop two inches instantly.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Learn to ride it as is. You think people on dual sports can flat foot them around like a cruiser? Of course not. Just put down the left foot at stops, the right stays on the brake in a proper stop anyway. Use the foot like a kickstand. Be careful of the street conditions where you stop and place a foot.

Rant not directed to OP at all: It amazes me that people can be so oblivious to their street surroundings and how to handle their machines. I was at a concert and this middle aged (like me) newb with brand new helmet and boots walks over near me to his family. He's got his helmet in this goofy bag. He then begins asking his wife if he should move his bike closer on the street and walks off. I see him ride up park nose into the curb pointing down hill right behind a van on a new BMW RT. He would never be able to move it without having the car move.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
You're right. I am going to raise my Triumph back up to stock. Now this means I can't touch either foot, but I need to learn to ride it as is. :banana

·
Registered
459 Posts
like mentioned, start by shaving the seat.

Be sure you set sag properly, and if needed change out springs to fit your weight.

it makes a night and day difference when the suspension is set to the rider.

if that still doesnt do it for ya then you can raise the forks within the clamps to shave off a little height, and adjust the rear to match.

definitely go in that order though. You wanna try to retain handling over flat footing your bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts