Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to pick up the yamaha lowered seat, but 400 bones is too much for a non-gel seat. So, i pulled out the low-grit sandpaper and staple gun. I used 80 grit sandpaper and sanding block to shape about 3/4 of inch off the seat, as well as rounding off the edges. The seat came out great, and looks stock, just lower. I can now just flat foot the bike with my 29" inseam. The seat feels a slightly more comfortable, but the true test will be my next road trip.

Overall it took me about two hours, although it will probably take me another two to clean up the foam dunes, which resulted when i opened my garage to take this picture.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

here is a stock seat

here is my seat

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nicely done. It appears you lowered just the middle portion of the seat and left the nose at about stock height? Did it change the comfort any (for better or worse)?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lowered both the middle and the nose. I actually went in and lowered the nose a tad more after taking this picture. I also contoured the sides, which helped getting my feet to the floor. I didn't want to lower the nose too much for fear of sliding forward.

Overall it feels like my butt is more evenly distribute across the seat, and hopefully will be more comfortable on long runs. The stock seat gave me two hot spots, and I could ride for about 3 hours before going numb.

·
Registered
60 Posts
looks really nice, I thought about doing the same thing, but there was a thread on here about a week ago in the mods section about a website that was selling the yamaha comfort seat shipped to you for $160, I ordered one, anxiously to get it... if you dont get the comfort you are looking for, you may want to look into that. I also think that one is about an inch lower, or at least different contour that makes touching the ground easier. Jim

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks really nice, I thought about doing the same thing, but there was a thread on here about a week ago in the mods section about a website that was selling the yamaha comfort seat shipped to you for $160, I ordered one, anxiously to get it... if you dont get the comfort you are looking for, you may want to look into that. I also think that one is about an inch lower, or at least different contour that makes touching the ground easier. Jim
from my understanding the comfort seat is physically taller but better contoured. For me this was a no-brainer, since modding my stock seat was free.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That is a really good job. And that is my stock seat you have posted.

For those who don`t know, this is what the Yamaha lowered seat looks like.

Did you take photos of the whole process because I would love to see that.
How does the new seat ride?
I think you were right to do this because 400 dollars is a nuts price for the seat, even though it is great. I paid about 125 US dollars for mine.

Geat job. Post a "How to" because lots of people are interested in this.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice job, I was the one who paid what ended up being $330 for the same lowered seat that Steve has. I think it does have a gel insert, but i can't verify. It is lower and feel very comfortable too. Good job on your seat - looks awesome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts