Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working through the repair of my low-sided bike (2004 ZZR600). One of my fork stops on the lower tree is sheered off. How much did I need that fork stop anyway? Also, there's a little fork twist that I was able to take out by loosening up the clamps on the forks and triple clamp. Any way other to make sure I'm in precise alignment (other than visual, that is...)? Thanks...

·
Registered
9 Posts
You need to insure that the fork tubes are parallel and are both in the same plane. Expose as much of the fork tubes as possible. Take a sheet of glass that will fit into that area and place it flat on the upper part of both tubes. If the tubes are in the same plane the glass with touch at 4 places, 2 upper and 2 lower. If only three places touch you have something out of alignment. This assumes that you can get the glass (a poor man's precision plane) into the area you need to check. I'm not familiar with your bike, but the idea is the same for all. You want to make sure that the tubes are in the same plane.

The fork stop is a good thing. Get it fixed.

Make sure you check for bent rotors also. It is common for them to get bent in a lowside. Get the front wheel up on a stand and spin it. If you can see any wobble, it is too much. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts