Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '01 ZX-6R. I am 6'0", 175 lbs... No matter what I try, I cant get the bike to Power up in 1st. The front tire gets light, but never comes up. Tried chopping the thottle, then cranking it on again, standing up, everything.. I tried clutching it, crusing about 15 mph in 1st, rev it almost to redline, and dump the clutch.. The front tire comes up about 4", and back down.. Is there a loss of power on this, or am I doing something wrong...

·
Registered
304 Posts
You've got to be doing something wrong. I had a '98 ZX6R, bone stock, and I could clutch it up in 1st EASY. See if you can get rolling along about 6k RPM in 1st, then pull in the clutch, roll the throttle on to about 10k RPM, and then release the clutch in a smooth, but quick motion. This should all happen in about 1/2 second, and it should come right up.

Disclaimer: WHEELIES ARE DANGEROUS AND SHOULD ONLY BE ATTEMPTED BY TRAINED PROFESSIONALS ON A CLOSED COURSE. IF YOU LOOP IT, I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE.

Does the bike feel sluggish otherwise?

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know if it is sluggish or not.. My last bike was a '92 CBR, and this seems just as fast, but it should probably be faster.. So you only rev it up 4k before letting the clutch out? Is this standing or sitting.. Because I literally rev it up about 8k, and I only get a couple inches up on it.

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
I'm no wheelie king but I know that bike comes up fine in first. Get it over 8000 RPM, let off the throttle and then get on the gas hard and tug on the bars. Mine comes up in first like that. Sitting back on the seat helps too.

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
Sitting back on the seat helps too.
Definitley. I think most people who struggle w/ wheelies aren't using their body, they're just whacking it open and hoping it'll come up-- and on a 600, that ain't gonna work.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You might want to get the bike checked out. I'm about the same size as you(6'3" 180lbs) and my '02 powers the front wheel in first realy easy. If I'm at WOT by 10k the front just comes shooting up. And yeah, this bike should be a hell of alot faster than your '92 CBR. Get a tune-up and you should see an improvement.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I was just being a wuss. I wasnt twisting the throttle completely, only about 80%.. Rode my first one out last night once I figured out I wasnt giving it all she had... Came up easy, rode it for about 3 sec and set it down.. I was just being :gay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts