Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I was the one who loved my LSL low handlebars and I still do love the riding position, but they scared the crap out of me today so I removed them. As I stated they were great but they did hit the faring on full turn lock, which i did not worry much about as you never go full riding. Well i was wrong, today I got to my office and went to do a full 180 to park the bike, well, the bars did not go full lock but they went enough to hit my hand against the faring, which engaged the front brake unwanted, and bike went down... not really boom on the ground, but it went far enough that I could not hold it and I set it down, no damage.
Anyway, I know I am not the best rider, not bad but not the best, and I do not suggest this mod anymore.....
On the same note, I put my factory bars back and leaned them a bit, but the throttle touches the tank while the other side does not. My bike did fall to that side a few months ago and thought nothing of it as there was no real damage, just a mirror and some scrapes to the faring. Now I wonder if my bar got bent. Please someone check if your turning is the same to both sides...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I swapped my bars for a set of generic drag bars. I went riding for five minutes and came back and swapped them back to the stock bars. With very little pullback I had much less control over the bike. Also, they hit the tank like you mentioned above at full lock. I still want a lower handlebar though. How much pullback do your LSL bars have? I may bite the bullet and order the FZ1 titanium bars, even though they cost three times what the generic bar did.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine had 110mm of pullback, they do have some other options with more pullback, but they all have some rise, I might go with another set in the future. for now the stock ones will work. Would you check the full lock on your stock handlebars and see if the clearance from the tank is the same on both sides, I feel my bars might be bent from when I dropped the bike

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's the same on both sides, or at least very close. I can measure it tomorrow in the light to be certain. Is it possible that you could have tightened either the top or the bottom of the braces that hold the bars in more than the other? You could eyeball that by seeing if the gap between the brace and the stem looks the same.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, I think i must have slightly bent the bars when the bike fell over, I know the bar hit as the end was scratched, but the bend on the bars is not visable unless you do full lock, I'll order another set.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Being ruler challenged in the dark without one I have two fingers space at the first knuckle under the left grip hard over and one finger space under the grip on the right but I have never dropped mine so what you are seeing might be the design. I did raise mine at the grips slightly when I first got mine home since they were really close to the tank then. I guess the days of standing with the front tire between my legs facing the number plate and grabbing both grips to check them and fight with them after a crash are over. Speaking of bars, has anyone priced Yamahas replacement part yet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
charlieoneseven said:
Speaking of bars, has anyone priced Yamahas replacement part yet.
I picked up a brand new set on ebay for $3.25 they retail for $30 on bike bandit.com 5VX-26111-00-00

Skippy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Which Yamaha replacement bars are you refering to? There are still no replacement bars on their website.

I got to thinking that I'll wait and see what Yamaha will provide, if they eventually do.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Thanks for the warning Cavi. I was SO close to ordering me a set of those bars and still might, but at least I can think more about it before doing so.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you do order a set, do not get the ones I got, LSL has a few other models, that have some rise, and still less pullback than the stock but more pullback than the ones I got so that the problem might not exist

1 - 10 of 10 Posts