Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever there is a discussion or arguement regarding 600 vs 1000, this one topic always comes up. People always say that the 1000 has more low end power. I am definetly not argueing against that. My question is this, is the low end power provided by todays modern age 600's not enough?

I have an 03 R6 and with 7-8 months of riding seat time it has close to 19k miles. The bike has been turned into a full time track bike now. I just now did a 520 conversion and have yet to ride it, so all those 19k miles have been on stock gearing.

I have also ridden R1's, 954s, SV650s, SV1000s, Honda Nighthawk 750s. With that being said, all of those had more "low end" power than my R6. However, my R6 has damn well enough low end power for anything I need it for. My bike has been through hell and back, all kinds of terrain, surfaces, traffic, weather, tracks, etc.

I have yet to experience a time when I thought to myself, holy shit, I could have used more low end power! I also here the arguement that well, you need to take the (insert 600) to the redline and be at the power band, stay in low gears, blah blah blah. On the track? Yea, I'll buy some of that. You def. want to be in the power band. However, on the street? I hear people saying they cruise around in 3rd and 4th gear to always have power... Power for what? Only time im in those low gears if im just taking off then I go right up to 6th for that ever so sweet mileage. Ya, if I'm hitting the twisties, obviously I'll be in the proper gear for those situations, but for going out cruising, highway, around town? I'm not keeping the bike in 3rd or 4th gear because I'll need the "extra low end power", all it does is waste gas, and create unwanted attention.

I have had people cut me off, merge into my lane, tail gate me, slam on their brakes infront of me, throw stuff at me, you name it. Not once have I not had enough power to accerlate out, or enough stopping power, or not be able to swerve out of the way of something.

I could list a whole page of examples and other thoughts on this, but I leave it open for discussion. Perhaps I am not looking at it the right way.

Again, I want to say I am not argueing that liter bikes have more low end power, or twins, etc. I damn well know they do. I also know about the "fun" factor, etc. I'm simply stating that from my experience, a modern day 600, an 03 R6 in my case, has more than enough low end power. Look at other countries around the world who have piss poor road conditions, piss poor traction, and they ride around on 250s, 400s, 500s, and a slew of scooters and other bikes with a lot lower low end, not to mention high end grunt...

So, is it more of an excuse to justify the want of a 1000? One day I'll have a 1000, and a V-twin. However, it won't be because I need more low end power. . .

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
I hated staying in the upper RPMS for power

I hated the constant shifting

I hated the racket

I went to liter bikes because I'm lazy and didn't wanna shift to get power nor hear all that noise. Noone NEEDS anything more than a 600......I learned "cornerspeed" on a 600 and was damn fast on a 600..but just the simple fact of wanting power at my fingertips pushed me into getting a literbike

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Todays 600's are more bike than anyone would ever need...But if you (or anyone) is worried about low end power, go up 2 teeth in the back and down one in the front...Problem solved...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think 600s have plenty of power. I'm likely in the minority but I ride quite a bit and tend to keep bikes awhile. I ride a ZX9R instead of a ZX6R because I know it'll last longer. Internal stresses (and therefore wear) in an engine increase with the square of speed so running at 6000 RPM does 4 times more wear than running at 3000 RPM. Since I'd like to get as many miles as possible, I got a bike that's "happy" at 3000 RPM. Being a rather large person, ultra light weight was not a high priority but comfort was, hence the porky but comfy 9R.

·
Registered
533 Posts
you cruise around in 6th?? i like to atleast be at ~6k rpm

i love riding the r6, i rode an r1 and although it is more of a beast, i couldnt justify getting it considering it weighs a little more, higher insurance costs, more bike to handle, more power to manage, maybe sometime down the road i will consider literbikes

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
i agree with castor( :eek: )...im lazy. riding my roomates gixxer6 around is boring. when i take it in the twisties its fine but around town is really boring. 6's are pretty gutless below 7-9k rpm, or at least they seem like it going from my 954 to one. i can pass cars like they are standing still, in 6th gear, with my g/f on the back. Also, who wants to work for their wheelies???? liter bikes do the work for ya :lol :twofinger

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
chesus said:
you cruise around in 6th?? i like to atleast be at ~6k rpm

i love riding the r6, i rode an r1 and although it is more of a beast, i couldnt justify getting it considering it weighs a little more, higher insurance costs, more bike to handle, more power to manage, maybe sometime down the road i will consider literbikes
once you go to the r1, i bet you dont go back to a 600.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I ride a 1000cc bike because of the low end power. There is no question that 600cc bikes are fast. The top end speed difference between the two doesn't mean squat to me. I ride a 1000cc bike so that I don't need to shift the shit out of it to stay in the power band. I've ridden many 600's and to ride around at 9000 rpms and higher for everyday riding isn't realistic for me. The FZR1000 is a five speed and I find that because of the additional torque over a 600cc I can stay in third gear for almost all riding. Constant shifting to me is a pain in the arsh. Like a few have said in the past... once you go 1000cc you may never ride a 600cc again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
need, we need food water and shelter, the rest is a want and thats awhole other story
no doubt the 600's have power, obviusly enough for you, others want more and a different delivery of that power, btw what do you weigh, i ride with guys that are 150, im 220 and one of my buds is 280, if any bdy needs a 1000 its him
i think its a lame discussion

·
Registered
304 Posts
The low end power on today's 600ss is not enough. I mean, I NEED to go 0-60 quicker than three and a half seconds.

It's a rationalization.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's also the fact that, on a literbike, the power in the low end is smoother than the kind of power a 600 makes at 14 000 rpm.

They are just 2 different styles of riding. I'll take some corner just a gear lower so it's easy to get on the gas early and not fear the back wheel slipping.

I thought could'nt get near the 600's at Deal's Gap but one of my buddies on a Blackbird and myself on the 929 were as fast as them just because of the power we had coming out of corners.

·
Registered
569 Posts
snigg said:
once you go to the r1, i bet you dont go back to a 600.
I'd buy an R6 before I bought an R1.

·
Banned
730 Posts
CasterTroy said:
I was gonna post something witty to that effect, but couldn't word it the way I wanted to prevent coming off as an ass......
I'm slowly getting better at getting my point across w/o pissing people off. Well, that's my plan anyhoo. I'm sure some "pissing off" is still gonna happen, but at least I'm making an effort. :lol I can't count the number of times I just close out a reply page because it was getting ugly and I've finally figured out, "what's the point" and instead go read my daughter a book. She's not quite two and has probably read more books cover to cover than her daddy. I'm COMPLETELY kicking her ass when it comes to magazine reading though. NO CONTEST!! :twofinger I'm so un-learned.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree 100% with the comment about the smoothness of a 1000cc. It's not about whether it takes you 2.4 seconds to 60mph or 3.0 seconds... it's not about speed. Why would I ride a buzzy bike at 14,000 rpms for power when I could ride a smooth liter bike at 5000 rpm and have power? It's all about personal taste. If you want to ride a bike that screams at 14,000 rpms buy a 600cc... if you want low end smooth power and lower rpms buy a 1000cc bike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So far I keep hearing about more power, power, and power. Ok I see the trend, I suppose my question then is, power for what? Of course for the fun factor, I can see.

However, as for cruising around in 6th, yep. I do, and I have absolutely no problems while in 6th gear accerlerating away from a car.

To answer another question, I was 206lbs in street clothes, in full leathers, hmm 220ish? Not sure what the leathers, boots, helmet, etc weigh in at.

Also for going 1 down in the front will also give more acceleration.

I too hate having my bike at 9k rpms in lower gears to ride around with, which is why I cruise around in 6th and have more than enough power. When I'm driving around I don't need to whip out a 6inch wheelie from accerlating away from cars or something.

When I say enough, I'm talking about driving around needs. I'm not saying I couldn't want more. I'm not saying I would not enjoy more power or more acceleration. I am talking about the "need" for everyday driving. Is there really a "need" to have that much umph. Is a modern day 600 handicapped in its everyday riding with the lack of so called low end?

Everyone has different opinions, and find different things fun, and what not. Of course there are people who want more power, that is a given.

On another note, for those of you with 1000's do you still find yourself cruising around in 3rd and 4th gears? Even if I had a 1000, or twin, in everyday street riding, I'd still gear up to 6th and drive at that gear...

Great discussion btw!

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
DreddR6 said:
So far I keep hearing about more power, power, and power. Ok I see the trend, I suppose my question then is, power for what? Of course for the fun factor, I can see.

Why in the hell would ANYONE want to extract more power from a Z06?

yet how many vette owners and enthusiests do you see with mods?

Hell, do you not have some kind of aftermarket pipe?

Why? My GOSH, who in their right mind would need more power?

Age old problem my man...why? BECAUSE YOU CAN

Why put a turbo on a busa...holy COW is a busa not a loaded weapon already? BECAUSE YOU CAN

Why a 50 shot of N2O into the fire breathing mouth of a ZX12? BECAUSE YOU CAN

Why buy a CBR1000RR when a 600RR costs less and basically will get you there in almost the same time? BECAUSE YOU CAN

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I hate lazy people.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts