Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! To anyone with kids of any age, here's some advice.

Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life peoples actually
have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

·
Registered
924 Posts
good post

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
He is right about all of them...especially #1...you will have to take care of yourself. No one else will, they are busy with their own lives

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
AWESOME post 1+ to the above

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Interesting that none of that bears any relationship to his privilidged upbringing and exclusive education. He's where he is today in part because his private school had a computer way ahead of everyone else. Coming of age with a big trust fund didn't hurt either. It freed him to take any risk. (See Hard Drive, and the Making of the Microsoft Empire)

Thanks for helping out Bill. You're certainly right, but you forgot the most important one: family money is the mother of opportunity.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
sounds to me like you are jealous...yes, he came from a upper middle class family, his father a lawyer and mother a teacher. However, he took the resources he was given and multiplied them so many times he became the richest man in the world. Donald trump started with more, where is he??? Henry Ford, Busch III, Etc. this list goes on of people who started with so much more and have less. It doesn't matter what you start with, it is what you do with it and how you use it. My Father and his family were immigrants through Ellis Island. He earned his citizenship and education through the US Military. He gave me education because he had no money and I was able to succeed and retire to be a full time Dad to my children before age 44. sounds like your grapes are a little sour there, Jim.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

and Geeks "for one day the geek shall inherit the earth!"

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
bumblebee said:
sounds like your grapes are a little sour there, Jim.
Read the book (which is wholly complimentary, BTW) and make an informed conclusion. Then we'll talk.

I merely pointed out that he left out the most important lesson about becoming successful. Why would that bother you? I'm now wondering if the idea that the priviledged have a prepunched ticket bothers you?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about those that have a pre-punched ticket and DO NOT suceed?

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Onetrick said:
What about those that have a pre-punched ticket and DO NOT suceed?
Proves nothing. What about those with a prepunched ticket who don't work hard and do succeed?

You can parse this all day. By Sundown the primary factor that contributes to success will be hard work. But the close second will be familial prosperity.
Familial prosperity is the primary reason a lazy ass can be successful. Why is this so hard to accept? Haven't you already accepted that life is not fair?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was just pointing out that it is not everyone with a pre-punched ticket. I know life is not fair and have family prosperity would be nice... but then again, that was not laid out for me in my life. Working hard and for a long period of my life is what I was set out to do...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Read the book (which is wholly complimentary, BTW) and make an informed conclusion. Then we'll talk.

I merely pointed out that he left out the most important lesson about becoming successful. Why would that bother you? I'm now wondering if the idea that the priviledged have a prepunched ticket bothers you?
Actually, most of the "prepunched" disgusts me for squandering what they have. When I attended the private university my father worked 2 jobs to send me through, I watched many of those priviledged people squander and throw away more in wealth and opportunities than my father ever had. I relished my conversations with him as I waxed those people both in the class room and out. My Freshman year I was made fun of and ridiculed because I was a country hick from a poor family until the grades and class rankings came out and I was in the top 10. Then, when this country hick walked on their golf team and became #3 man on the Varsity as a freshman, the whispering changed again. They never did accept me, because I was not one of them. But, they had to deal with me because I beat them. And I have continued that my whole life. I judge each person by their work and not familial, political or other associations.

As for your book, I don't need to read it. When I worked at WWU in Bellingham, I was fortunate to serve on some state educational committees with Mr. Gates, Bill's father, so I have some first hand experience with the family. trying to point out a privileged upbringing as the reason success came so easily will not fly with Bill Gates

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Did senior mention the $1 million trust fund his Mom set up for Jr? Didn't think so. In fact, I'd bet you didn't even know that senior's mom had an extra mill lying around, did you.

You won't get me to argue that Gates hasn't had stellar success. It just wasn't simply a result of playing by those rules. And I'd suggest you check in on your alumnus. You might be surprised what they've become. Well, nevermind. I wouldn't want to know either.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts