Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fired up my F4i w/6500 miles on it yesterday. It started like a dream like normal, then developed a loud ticking noise and it sounded like it was ready to die on me. I cut the engine, saw it was a little low (1/2qt) on oil, added it, then fired it back up. The noise was still there but went away after about 2-3 mins.

What do you think this was? Could my CCT have let the chain get so slack that i'm getting a problem? I'm running castrol 10w 40 in it and i just did my 3rd oil change.

Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i had the same problem with a car,it was a hydrolic cam lifter.they fill with oil when your start your bike,if you have a sticking one(lifter) it will tick untill its full of oil.

·
Registered
169 Posts
kwak zzr said:
i had the same problem with a car,it was a hydrolic cam lifter.they fill with oil when your start your bike,if you have a sticking one(lifter) it will tick untill its full of oil.
It should be "Shim Under Bucket" valvetrain actuation. They ARE NOT lifters

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
If it's just loose cam chain, it should make noise at a certain area of the motor. Check to see if the noise is coming from the top or bottom end, left or right side of the motor. Holding a screwdriver to your case with the plastic part on your ear is a good way to do it. Also, loose cam chains will stop ticking when you rev them up unless they are Paris Hilton loose and used up. There are no lifters in any japanese bikes I dont think, they use DOHC configuration. Harley, I believe is the only manufacturer that still uses a pushrod/hydraulic lifter combo in their Twin Cam 88. However, DOHC style valve trains will still make noise if the valve lash is too great. Check your valve lash and make sure to see if it's in spec. Worst case scenario you have a bad bearing on the crank or con rod and thats ticking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts