Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had about 4 "oh shit" moments in today's track day. I was pretty much sliding quite a bit and it freaked me out. Had a few front tire slides and one rear tire slide and I thought I was gonna highside but I just kept steady throttle and the bike stabilzed. I noticed that those incidents happend about after 15 minutes of riding and the temps were in the mid 90's. Maybe my tires got too hot? I have about 6 track days on these tires but they still have quite some tread left. Maybe too many heat cycles and the rubber is deteriorating? Anyone recommend better tires? After those incidents I was riding 3-5 sec slower lap times, I totally lost my confidence. :(

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mstingray said:
try GPA front ;)

they all come in multiple compounds unless you buy the US mfr A's
They are medium compound and the rear says made in great brittain. The rear slid on me too exiting a second gear corner I thought I was gonna highside. Didn't know that my bike has enough power to spin the rear tire. Man that was scary!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah man I think that the tire compound is all used up. I think that 6 track days on and set of tires is too much. On top of that have you been doing any street rideing on the same tires? My mechanic who used to be a club racer and he said that he went through a set of tires almost ever weekend. So I know you are probably not rideing that hard at a track day, but six of them seem to me like quite a strecth for tires.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Were the tires shredding or anything? More than usual I mean. If so did you try bumping up the pressure? I'm kind of leaning towards the heat cycle explanation too though, I don't think those tires are meant to last very long.

·
Registered
331 Posts
6 track days on one set of tires?
Holy Crap , get some new tires before you get hurt.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Yes they also have about 2000 street riding miles on them on top of the track days. I just thought they would hold up a bit more, totally got me by surprise but it was good experience because it was my first time having a "controlled" slide. I'll get me a set of GP-A's but damn they're so expensive!! If I was able to slide on these tires, do you think it will be worse if I get me some street tires like M1's or diablo corsas?

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you are serious , and have 6 track days plus 2000 miles on that set of tires , you are lucky you haven't wrecked , seriously.

Everyone has thier opinion on tires , but if you ride both street and track , and can get that much use out of a set of tires with money being a factor, I would look at the Pilot Powers or Diablo Corsas as options.

The Powers will last longer than the Diablo Corsas , but I like the DCs better overall and as a track tire.
I never thought I would say it but maybe try the BT014's , they suprised me recently at VIR. :cheers

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
208 GPs have VERY few heat cycles in them

They may LOOK fine, but they suck ass after about 12 cycles....meaning, you get 6 sessions on the track on saturday, 6 sunday, and you chuck em....even if they have decent enough tread to try to wring some life out of them on the road for a few weeks.

You'll end up getting hurt

Track day=money

ALWAYS facter a new set of tires in for every 2 days at a track. If you don't, you're really asking for trouble. Yeah I know, thats allot of damn money, but if you wanna play, you're gonna play. This is one of the many reasons when people get addicted to the track, they quit riding street. Cause you drop the insurance to make up for the hike in your tire budget :lol

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
I agree with the heat cycles as well, way too many from a true race tire. The 1st time you heat up a race tire it will have awesome traction, so will the next few times as well. But each time the tire goes from hot to cold it will require a few more degrees of heat to get back to the original amount of traction. So after 5 heat cycles or so the tires will no longer be capable of getting hot enough to give you the grip they once had. A trick some racers do is to use tires when it's cooler temperatures outside for an event, then later in the season when it's hot outside they remount those tires and run them again when temperatures are higher so as to get them hotter than when they were used before. Every time you go out on the track for a session and return to the pits it's another heat cycle on those tires, even after a full track day of spirited riding session your already losing traction with every use.

I have 2 suggestions for you, I would consider buying a 2nd set of wheels (used) and possibly invest in some good tire warmers. The 2nd set of wheels will allow you to keep your track tires for track use only, just make sure and get them with all the hardware as well (rotors, bearings, cush drive with sprocket, and spacers would be nice as extra's). Your track time will destroy sprockets sooner than your street riding so i suggest having sprockets for track use, just remember that a worn sprocket or chain will wear the other components as well (this will be an issue when using the same chain for both street and track sessions). Tire warmers need to be put on as soon as you come in from a session, this will help to keep your whole day more or less like it was 1 long heat cycle. The only caution here is that I wouldn't just leave them cooking all day long when not on the track, if your going to not be running for a couple hours then I would unplug them but leave the warmers on, but if your sessions are every 1/2 hour or so just leave them under heat.

Controlled slides are cool, also confidence inspiring when you get use to them. The nice thing about the Dunlop race tires is their controlled loss of traction, they usually just don't suddenly fall off and launch you unless they are wornout or have too many heat cycles as yours do, but even then they don't lose traction near as quickly as some other brands. As far as going from a 208 backward to something more street/track oriented you should be very careful, if your able to find the limit of a 208 you'll find the limit of a lesser tire much sooner and probably more suddenly. I personally would go the spare wheels route and stick with the 208's or get some 209's (they last longer). Good luck! :)

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Wow, they actually have a right hand turn in the track now? :lol

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
999Duc said:
If you are serious , and have 6 track days plus 2000 miles on that set of tires , you are lucky you haven't wrecked , seriously.

Everyone has thier opinion on tires , but if you ride both street and track , and can get that much use out of a set of tires with money being a factor, I would look at the Pilot Powers or Diablo Corsas as options.

The Powers will last longer than the Diablo Corsas , but I like the DCs better overall and as a track tire.
I never thought I would say it but maybe try the BT014's , they suprised me recently at VIR. :cheers

Surprisingly, they do still have quite some tread left in the middle. Maybe 3/32's til it hits the wear bar. I never expected to get this many miles out of these tires. I was thinking of the corsas, are they as sticky as the GP's? BT014's? I had BT010's and the front was cupping badly but they felt like they were a bit sticky. Thanks for your input!!

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CasterTroy said:
208 GPs have VERY few heat cycles in them

They may LOOK fine, but they suck ass after about 12 cycles....meaning, you get 6 sessions on the track on saturday, 6 sunday, and you chuck em....even if they have decent enough tread to try to wring some life out of them on the road for a few weeks.

You'll end up getting hurt

Track day=money

ALWAYS facter a new set of tires in for every 2 days at a track. If you don't, you're really asking for trouble. Yeah I know, thats allot of damn money, but if you wanna play, you're gonna play. This is one of the many reasons when people get addicted to the track, they quit riding street. Cause you drop the insurance to make up for the hike in your tire budget :lol
Wow didn't know they don't last that long! Well I'm gonna buy me a set of GPA's and a set of M1's for the street. Install the GPA's when it's time to hit the track!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts