Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are stories of helmets coming off (in the instance of a collision) starting to surface? I'm wondering if this is just user-error, or just plain ignorance. OR, perhaps a defect in the design of the restraint system itself? Lid not on the head correctly? Is this only on "inferior" helmet brands; all brands?

I don't want to exactly personally battle-test my helmet for my own edification. What's the scoop on this stuff?

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WISPER said:
The only ones i've seen were from not fastening the helmet at all.
Kinda like putting the seat belt over your shoulder but not pushing it into the buckle, maybe?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about the helmets coming off and was guessing that it's because their straps weren't fastened (a la Kellen Winslow Jr.).

Or maybe they wore the chin strap way too loose?

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
just plain stupid people doing stupid shit....
and paying the price for being stupid...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It could be people riding with brain buckets ( 1/2 shells ) They are real popular with people in my area but not for me, fuck that. Those damn things don't do shit if you go down.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mj31 said:
It could people riding with brain buckets ( 1/2 shells ) They are real popular with people in my area but not for me, fuck that. Those damn things don't do shit if you go down.
Easier for the paramedics to collect the bits and pieces of what used to be your cranium. Do you think they litterally fly-off during an accident though?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
mikem317 said:
Easier for the paramedics to collect the bits and pieces of what used to be your cranium. Do you think they litterally fly-off during an accident though?
My uncle got hit head on by a van a few years ago and his helmet flew in the back of the van wen he hit. I don't know how or if the helmet was on right. I was not there. I guess only he will ever know.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
badgixxer said:
just plain stupid people doing stupid shit....
and paying teh price for being stupid...
bingo!

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
i think another issue (other than retarded fucking people not knowing how to put on a helmet correctly) is that people buy helmets that are too big. A helmet should be tight, almost uncomfortably tight. A correctly fitted helmet will reduce fatigue and be much safer in a crash. In my experience (and opinion) most people wear helmets that are a size larger than they should.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've only heard of one guy losing his helmet in a crash. He liked to take his helmet off to talk and never bothered fastening it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My friend that crashed and died in an accident almost 2 weeks ago (I was with him along with 2 other riders) his helmet came off also. We could not find his helmet initially because the helmet went over a 30 foot drop off and into the jungle. The police recently found the helmet and the strap was actually pulled out of the fiberglass where it connects into the helmet. There was massive damage to the front and right side of the helmet. He hit the vertical guardrail post head-on. He had it fastened and it was not too big for him. The force of the impact was so great that it just tore the strap from the fiberglass where it is attached to the helmet It was an ARAI helmet.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
BLKBRD said:
My friend that crashed and died in an accident almost 2 weeks ago (I was with him along with 2 other riders) his helmet came off also. We could not find his helmet initially because the helmet went over a 30 foot drop off and into the jungle. The police recently found the helmet and the strap was actually pulled out of the fiberglass where it connects into the helmet. There was massive damage to the front and right side of the helmet. He hit the vertical guardrail post head-on. He had it fastened and it was not too big for him. The force of the impact was so great that it just tore the strap from the fiberglass where it is attached to the helmet It was an ARAI helmet.
Sorry to hear about your friend. I would imagine in this case that the impact was so great that it damaged the helmet (probably in many ways). Also sounds like the impact was great enough that no helmet would have made much difference.

I recently watched a neighbor kid (11 I think) on his skateboard. He rides with the helmet on his head but not strapped as is common with kids on boards and bicycles. He took a spill on the sidewalk and his head hit the ground before his helmet hit the ground about 10 feet away. Fortunately he wasn't hurt although he was shaking the cobwebs from his head for a few seconds. I talked to him about fastening the strap, but I'm not sure it took.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think it is a combination of not buckling straps, wearing them too loosely, or having a helmet way too big. When I see people riding down the highway and just flip their helmet onto their head as they ride because it was in their lap I wonder if the helmet fits them properly or not...

·
Registered
50 Posts
RayOSV said:
Sorry to hear about your friend. I would imagine in this case that the impact was so great that it damaged the helmet (probably in many ways). Also sounds like the impact was great enough that no helmet would have made much difference.
Thanks. I think your right, no helmet could have saved him in that situation. The force of the impact was too great.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
mikem317 said:
absolutely do. It goes hand and hand, most riders who choose that type of helmet usually don't tighten there chin strap as tight as they should. With the strap somewhat loose, the "helmet" can kinda hang off the back of your head a little bit. It's kind of a look some riders go for around my way.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BLKBRD said:
RIP. He's in a better place. You can ride everyday if you want up there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts