Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a couple styles of bikes and was woundering if you could tell me how the 1200 bandit compares to the fz1 with the r1 motor in it? Also how well does it stack up against other big bore sport bikes in a strait line? I know it not a race bike, but I'm looking for a good all around bike. Do you know if anyone makes any aftermarket parts for them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Bandit is a little more comfortable than a FZ1 in my opinion. The Bandit has lots more usable power down low and runs all the way to red line. Torque is king on a Bandit! I currently own a 2007 1250 Bandit and have done the normal mods exhaust, programmer and such, I have no problems keeping up with the race replica bikes until they get into the higher RPM bands. The Bandits weight is a different story as they are a pig, approx. 520lb full of liquids. Still handles pretty decent though just not as flickable.

I let some of my friends ride her and they are actually amazed how well the engine pulled after a few mods. One of them is a R1 owner the other a ZX10 rider.
As for the straight line power, mine will have my 240lb ass looking at the sky if you get carried away in 1st and 2nd.

The stock handlebars suck they kill your wrist must change the bars. The seat was uncomfortable until I trimmed it down.

For the money they are extremely capable bikes and can be set-up to any application.

On the other hand the FZ1 is a great bike also a little more race oriented than the Bandit. FZ1's have more HP and are better handling. I really like them both but after riding both the Bandit just felt more streetable with the way it makes power.

Aftermarket parts tons of them out there for the older 1200's and the newer 1250's. The Bandit has its own cult following just like the Vmax's, KZ's, Hayabusa's and GSXR's.

Checkout Holeshot Performance Products, Inc.

There are also plenty of Bandit oriented forums on the net.
www.maxsuzuki.com
Suzuki Bandits - TWT Forums
www.banditalley.net

I hope this helps.:D

·
Vampire
594 Posts
I test rode a friend's 2008 FZ-1 for approx. 90 miles. Compared to the 2003 air/oil cooled Bandit 1200S that I had, it seems more high-strung, torque/power do not come as easily as the Bandit. <7000 rpm, FZ-1 seems whimpy compared to Bandit.

Bandit handles little slower, not as prescise when leaned over. USD forks on the FZ-1 may contribute much of that.

In straight line acceleration, Bandit takes win over FZ-1, no doubt.

If you're on a budget, used Bandits can be found rather inexpensive, used FZ-1 are somewhat pricey in comparison. Bandit is a great all-around bike, and cheap, too..

·
Hard rockin' all the way!
523 Posts
Well, I've owned an '01 B12 (Bandit 1200) for exactly 1 week now (06/13/09).
I think it's a great all-around bike. I wasn't looking for a racer. This bike is comfortable and has just enough power.

I couldn't ask for more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts