1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
686 Posts
a guy named Skippy sold his FZ6 for one. I think he lurks on the FJR board. you might want to search for "fjr" since I think he gave a ride report.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
First an FZ, then an FJ... you are obviously a man of impeccable taste! :lol

That's really funny. I've been thinking about the same exact bike as a good step up in a couple of years. Of course, ALL riding is a pleasure, but probably only .5% of all my riding could be listed in the "pleasure" category. 99.5% is commuting and running to the store. There isn't exactly any canyon carving to be done on the flat straight roads of Florida. So, the practicality of the FJR with it's removable hard luggage (great for taking crap to work, and preventing me from having to bring in my helmet), it's comfort, and it's sporting abilities sounds like a great fit to me. :dblthumb

Oh, and it looks like she can be the hooligan if you so desire! :banana

Attachments

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the SHAFT FINAL DRIVE. I'm not one of those people that enjoys spending an hour every week getting the bike and myself filthy cleaning a chain. =)

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll be able to move to something as pricy as the FJ within a few years, as I'm looking at buying my first house in the next 12 months or so and being single means that the flow most likely will be a bit tight for a while.

Looking at that wheelie picture, I cringe to think of what happens when he forgets to straighten out the bar before he lands.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Binary Jay said:
I like the SHAFT FINAL DRIVE. I'm not one of those people that enjoys spending an hour every week getting the bike and myself filthy cleaning a chain. =)

Clean a chain every weeek?!? :2eek My chain gets cleaned every 1000 miles unless I am on a trip then it just gets sprayed with chain wax every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, I also change the oil/filter in my car every 3000 km and wash and wax it every week as well. And it's only a 99 taurus, nothing fancy. I guess I just like my stuff to be well taken care of. :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
When I got the FZ6 I told myself 5 years till I can get another bike .... only 4 more to go :lol
The way I see it, if they redesign the FZ1 and make it look a little nicer like the FZ6 (and maybe give it FI instead of carbs) I might go for the FZ1 and sell my FZ6.
If they don't so anything with the FZ1 I'm thinkin I'll go for the FJR and keep the FZ6 around for sporting around on the weekends.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Haha, I also change the oil/filter in my car every 3000 km and wash and wax it every week as well. And it's only a 99 taurus, nothing fancy. I guess I just like my stuff to be well taken care of. :)

The chain and sprockets are a "wear" item. I like to ride my bike not sit and wash it. If weekly chain cleaning was required, I would have stayed with shaft drive. But as it is, the o-ring and x-ring chains last a long time with very little maintenance needed.

As for oil/filter, I change according to the factory recommendation, every 4000 miles. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
rennsport said:
As for oil/filter, I change according to the factory recommendation, every 4000 miles. :)
In Finland, recommendation is (which one comes first):
- every 10000 kilometers (=every 6200 miles)
- once a year

Yours sincerely, Antti

·
Registered
245 Posts
Cleaning bike and car, uhhummm, let me think, I have not wash my bike since I bought it (october last year, birthday present to myself) , I rode last week, rain got on me wash out the whole bike, including myself, got home, get a clean good quality rag and wipe all off, got my plastic cleaner, got the winshield clean, cleaned my chain with some wd40, sprayed lub, cleaned whells and THAT WAS IT. I do not know if is my riding or what, but that bike does not get dirty and does not show up the dirt anyway.

By the way, how often am I supposed to clean the chain? I know everytime I ride in the rain, but I heard someone saying every 200miles, that's just a day up in the mountains, and the last thing I want to do after the ride its lube or clean a bike. One more question, Am I supposed to clean it with wd40 ALL THE TIME b4 I spray the lub?, or Can I be a little lazy and just spray lube without cleaning once in a while?

About the FJ whatever, I am a skiny dude as you seen on some pic's I posted, I really liked it but when I sat on it, I could not even move it, I could not place my flat foot on the ground, etc, etc, I have been looking for some b***** cc's like 900 or 1000 sport touring with hard luggage but I have not found anything confortable on weight. I mean, I like a bike that when I am putting the center stand does not look like I am struggling with the darn thing, thats why I luv my fz6. After a day up in the GA mountains I forget completly about looking for other bike, my fz6 is the best, I do not know if I will be looking for something else or just get the givis or the gortex saddle bags and have more fun without expending more money.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to Yamaha Canada, you're supposed to clean/lube the chain every 800 km (500 mi), or after washing or riding in the rain. More often if you ride in more damp or more dusty conditions.

Maybe I'll get less zealous and decide to clean the chain every 2 weeks, I think I cover about 800 km in 2 weeks anyway at the rate I'm going.

You're right that the bike doesn't show dirt too much. The only thing I do to keep my bike clean is to give it a sponge bath with a j-cloth in some car wash detergent and then again with just water, and wipe with a soft cloth of whatever type is lying around. I like to do this right away after rides where I kill hundreds of bugs going down the rural roads. My main wash on the weekend is exactly the same, but I also kick out the WD-40 and some paper towels and go over all of the metal parts and the rims with it. A ton of black crap comes off every week, some of it you couldn't see at all before it came off the bike. If you've never washed it, you might be surprised how much shinier it is that you totally forgot about. :)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
fz6yamaha said:
Cleaning bike and car, uhhummm, let me think, I have not wash my bike since I bought it (october last year, birthday present to myself) , I rode last week, rain got on me wash out the whole bike, including myself, got home, get a clean good quality rag and wipe all off, got my plastic cleaner, got the winshield clean, cleaned my chain with some wd40, sprayed lub, cleaned whells and THAT WAS IT. I do not know if is my riding or what, but that bike does not get dirty and does not show up the dirt anyway.

By the way, how often am I supposed to clean the chain? I know everytime I ride in the rain, but I heard someone saying every 200miles, that's just a day up in the mountains, and the last thing I want to do after the ride its lube or clean a bike. One more question, Am I supposed to clean it with wd40 ALL THE TIME b4 I spray the lub?, or Can I be a little lazy and just spray lube without cleaning once in a while?

About the FJ whatever, I am a skiny dude as you seen on some pic's I posted, I really liked it but when I sat on it, I could not even move it, I could not place my flat foot on the ground, etc, etc, I have been looking for some b***** cc's like 900 or 1000 sport touring with hard luggage but I have not found anything confortable on weight. I mean, I like a bike that when I am putting the center stand does not look like I am struggling with the darn thing, thats why I luv my fz6. After a day up in the GA mountains I forget completly about looking for other bike, my fz6 is the best, I do not know if I will be looking for something else or just get the givis or the gortex saddle bags and have more fun without expending more money.

200 miles is a crazy interval.

You don't have to clean it every tiem you lube it. Maybe once every 2 or 3 times, but others might have a different opinion.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't clean it every time, at least while using wax (I use Maxima) won't the wax just build up, maybe even all of the new wax will just fling off leaving the old wax anyway as if you didn't do anything?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I asked about the clean up 'cause the time I lube without cleaning the I have the wax fling all underneaht the bike, but the last time I cleaned it and then lube, was a lot better and did not have any fling. And I promise will not be a big I will wash my bike every month. I do clean my winshield every ride I hate the nasty bugs after the ride, and the bugs juice, thats the worse.
Thanks though, will keep in mind every 500miles, God that's about 2 rides to the mountains, not fair :).

·
Registered
457 Posts
fz6yamaha said:
Have you looked at the Kawasaki Concours? The Connie has a huge following, even though it's barely changed since 85. "It just works," is what everyone says.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Binary Jay said:
If you don't clean it every time, at least while using wax (I use Maxima) won't the wax just build up, maybe even all of the new wax will just fling off leaving the old wax anyway as if you didn't do anything?

If you spray the chain wax on the night before, it will give it time to harden and it will stay on the chain. I rode 2200 miles in the mountains three weeks ago and there is only a small amount of wax on my rear wheel. Formula 409 will take care of that with ease when the bike gets washed.

·
Registered
676 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
greatzippy said:
When I got the FZ6 I told myself 5 years till I can get another bike .... only 4 more to go :lol
The way I see it, if they redesign the FZ1 and make it look a little nicer like the FZ6 (and maybe give it FI instead of carbs) I might go for the FZ1 and sell my FZ6.
If they don't so anything with the FZ1 I'm thinkin I'll go for the FJR and keep the FZ6 around for sporting around on the weekends.
Dido. My plan also. However, I will probably keep my FZ6 (the Flying Carpet), forgo an upgraded FZ1, and add the FJR to my stable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Kawasaki Concours, uhm?, no I have not check that one, I did check zzr1200, but heavy as well and the siting position was too forward to racing style for me, I am too old to be killing my back(30). I ll check that one out(Kawasaki Concours).

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
AirForceTeacher said:
Have you looked at the Kawasaki Concours? The Connie has a huge following, even though it's barely changed since 85. "It just works," is what everyone says.
I thought about it a year ago simply because of the price. However, after seeing the looks of the FJR and the Honda ST1300 there's just no way. The Concours just LOOKS SO 1985! :lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts