Sport Bikes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay im 6'1, 145-150LBS(pretty small guy) and im looking to buy a bike for the first time soon. Im looking to spend 2-4k, preferably more so around 2k. I am very big on reliability, thats why I own a 92 civic and maintain it well. Im not looking for anything extremely fast..I think a 250cc would be fine for me. I wont be doing alot of highway driving, because I dont want to die. Gas Milage is always great to have as well. I also would like something comfortable(which is why before I buy I will definately test ride etc) I also want something that looks fierce, nothing boring looking.

I was looking into the Ninja 250r, whats a good price for those guys? What other bikes would you recommend me to look into? I saw the sticky at the top of the page....good information.

I want the best reliability for the price.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but the search feature is your friend. This gets beat to death hourly. You will have no probs with the ninja 250. If you get one of the new styles,,08 or 09 it will be very hard to find a good deal on them. They are extremly popular and every dealer near me is out or back ordered until Jan 09. With the older styles you should have no problem finding a good one from $2000-$2600. I have an 07 that I recently did 1929 miles in 3 days with. I have put on 10500 miles since last november and I'm 6'2'' at 220lbs. Gonna post the RR about it when I have time, got a shitload of pics.

Good luck in your search. If you can stay away from the dealers with this bike. It's a cheap bike but when they start adding fees and all the other junk, it can actuall add up to or over the value of the bike. Mine was $2600 sticked with 1500 miles on it. When I went into the sales office to sign papers the bike was at $4500. They had added an extended warranty,GAP, and some other stuff for almost $2000 worth of crap I never was even advised about. I took everything off except the Warranty and only took that because I was told that I couldn't extend it through Kawi, which was a lie, I could have done it for $150 cheaper.

However if you do go to the dealer, Fight,scream,and cry if you don't like what the final OTD is. Make sure you have read and understand everything on that bill. It is usually easier and better to get ur own financing, try ur local credit union and tell them that the minute you walk in the door. That puts more control in your side of the boat and just might make them work harder to get you a better deal.

When I was at my dealer last week I had been in the day before and asked about a bike and was told there were no specials. I went in the next day as I dropped my bike off for a service and walked up to look at the new bike again and got the same salesman. I told him I had financing through my CU and told him which one. He replies welll if you go through ours then we'll shave an extra 2% off the bike. Woulda only been $200 but that would have been even before any negotiating on our part.

The Ninja 250 also had a rabid cult following and is very easy to work on.
Here is probably the best site for it. Ninja250 Riders Club :: Index
They had a FAQ that has everything from oil changes to engine rebuilds and the majority have pics or links to pics.

Jesus, I started off with a rant and went into a story. Anyway use the damn search feature!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kidding,, hope this helped

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Look for the best deal you can find on a Kawasaki 250, 500, or a Suzuki gs500. All would make a good first street bike. The Suzuki may fit your height a little better especially if you have long legs. Bikes in decent shape can be found for 2500.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did search, Im just a dumbass who still likes to post....he

I think the 250 is a very good choice. I dont think I will end up with a newer one, they are just too expensive for what I need..although they new ones look SO much better.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Technology and reliability on the older 250's is about the same as newer ones. The styling upgrade done in '07 (I think) made them extremely popular. Nothing wrong with one old enough to be in your price range as long as it's been maintained well.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
try craigs list or the popular online ads in your area. Or another city close by. You short be able to get a smokin deal with the season ending soon. Good luck and make sure to let us know if you when you get it.

AND POST SOME PICS OF IT!!!!

Take care bud

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
try craigs list or the popular online ads in your area. Or another city close by. You short be able to get a smokin deal with the season ending soon. Good luck and make sure to let us know if you when you get it.

AND POST SOME PICS OF IT!!!!

Take care bud
thanks, are their really good deals at the end of the season?

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
With winter coming prices will fall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts