Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a used cheaper sportsbike, here is what Im thinking about:

1996-99 yamaha trx 850
1996-03 kawasaki zx7r
1996-00 honda cbr 900
1996-99 Suzuki gsxr 750
1999-02 yamaha R6

Thoughts about any of these bikes?

I know the trx is a little out of place in this group, not being a racer, but I think it looks interesting and I at least have to test ride it.

Cant wait for the snow to disapear so I can go and test ride these bikes. Never tried any of them so Im excited to know how they are to ride and which one I like the best.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Watch out for 2nd gear on the R6 in that time frame.. They have a factory defect and tend to fail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much riding experience do you have? What do you plan to use the bike for?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I ride almost every day and have done that for 7 years (never on a racebike). The bikes I have used these 7 years are: harley streetgilide, yamaha warrior, BMW 1150 gs adventure, ktm 990 adventure, BMW k75, bmw k1100, BMW k1200gt and now a yamaha fjr 1300.

The bike Im looking for is for fun riding on the smaller roads and mayby a little trackriding.

Im 6' and about 205 pounds so dont know if my size has anything to say.

As I said no experience with race bikes, but now I want one :goody

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
Consider a SV650? You can get a fairly new one for $3-4k. They have 70hp at the rear, lots of toqure (V-TWIN!) and top speed is about 140.

It's always fun passing the guys on 600, 750, and 1000cc bikes on a little SV650. I race a SV650 and take it to track days. At least once a track day I have someone come over and ask what I am riding...

Last September I was at a track day in Heartland Park Topeka (Topeka, KS). A guy on a pretty new CBR1000RR and I were going back and forth, untill any kind of straight came up. Then he'd pass me. After a few sessions of this, he came over to my pits and asked what I was riding. He was shocked when he could out it was just a little SV! :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Consider a SV650? You can get a fairly new one for $3-4k. They have 70hp at the rear, lots of toqure (V-TWIN!) and top speed is about 140.

It's always fun passing the guys on 600, 750, and 1000cc bikes on a little SV650. I race a SV650 and take it to track days. At least once a track day I have someone come over and ask what I am riding...

Last September I was at a track day in Heartland Park Topeka (Topeka, KS). A guy on a pretty new CBR1000RR and I were going back and forth, untill any kind of straight came up. Then I'd pass him. After a few sessions of this, he came over to my pits and asked what I was riding. He was shocked when he could out it was just a little SV! :)
what? you passed him on the straights? what was he doing? leaving it in 1st gear? there isn't much skill in going straight.... all about HP. he should have left you without too much effort.

now, i don't doubt that an SV is a great lil track bike. have seen a few instructors abuse us Novices with SVs until ya get to the straight and pass em (if it's allowed ). Don't know of too many 1000s that CAN'T go over 140mph.

for the OP, yes, look at SVs damn near indestructible, parts are numerous, upgrades are easy peasy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the sv is a nice bike. I have a friend who has a 650 and another who has the 1000. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the sv's they just dont do it for me. Its just my personal taste.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Ok thanks. Always good to know about defects
it wasn't a defect. they just had 3 dogs on the gears. which would tend to round off. under heavy accel in 2nd it would momentarily pop out.
the rest of the gears were fine. and not everyone had this issue. but a lot did.

they fixed the issue in 03 by using 5 dogs on the gears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it wasn't a defect. they just had 3 dogs on the gears. which would tend to round off. under heavy accel in 2nd it would momentarily pop out.
the rest of the gears were fine. and not everyone had this issue. but a lot did.

they fixed the issue in 03 by using 5 dogs on the gears.
Ahh ok thanks for explaining that to me :)

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
what? you passed him on the straights? what was he doing? leaving it in 1st gear? there isn't much skill in going straight.... all about HP. he should have left you without too much effort.

:fixed

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree with the SV being a great sports bike to be had at great prices. My only thing is that I need a bike with clip-ons, so I would do the S version.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts