Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my heart set on a AGV 2 pc Trident, and a local guy convinced me that this was not the way to go. He said the jacket portion is shorter and that I would probably not wear it by it self. I've never seen a 2pc suit myself... is this really the case?

What he did recommend is, get a leather jacket that can zip up to pants for the 3-4 track days that I'm going to be doing this year.

I know the Alpinestars jackets have the 360 zipper; what other jacket brands make a daily wearable leather jacket which connect with track pants w/ 360 zippers?

I want function, comfort and quality in my protection and my budget is ~$700. What would be the best bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is it normal with most 2pc suits that the jacket is shorter than normal? Does this vary by company or pretty standard? I'm looking at a 2pc Dainese and would possibly wear the jacket by itself as a spare..

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
All 2pc that I have seen the jacket is shorter. It's not really shorter it's just not extended lower like some. Dainese has great jackets ... I love mine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket blaster II jacket. It has the 360 degree zipper and is not at all too short to wear by itself. In fact, when worn by itself it seems to be the perfect length.
Having a tailor put a zipper in is a very workable idea though. It would avoid the problem that I do have which is that I have a 34" pant and a 48" jacket so the zippers are different lengths by 6". This isn't a problem, just an annoyance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jiffy said:
All 2pc that I have seen the jacket is shorter. It's not really shorter it's just not extended lower like some. Dainese has great jackets ... I love mine.
That said, is it 'long enough' to be worth getting the 2pc?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I have to ask this. Can someone explain the thought process that leads to the conclusion that the skin below your waist isn't as valuable as the skin above?

Is it purely the convenience factor of being willing to wear a leather jacket but not pants as well?

I believe that accident statistics show that lower body injuries are second only to hand injuries even in "low speed" get-offs. Wearing pants only for track days or "riding hard" makes about as much sense to me as only wearing seat belts on the freeway.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RayOSV said:
I have to ask this. Can someone explain the thought process that leads to the conclusion that the skin below your waist isn't as valuable as the skin above?

Is it purely the convenience factor of being willing to wear a leather jacket but not pants as well?

I believe that accident statistics show that lower body injuries are second only to hand injuries even in "low speed" get-offs. Wearing pants only for track days or "riding hard" makes about as much sense to me as only wearing seat belts on the freeway.
I do wear pants when in public. I think I would be arrested if I didn't, as I tend to free ball it from time to time.

:egrin

·
Registered
55 Posts
RayOSV said:

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be wearing leather pants when I ride to class. I'll never get on the bike in anything less than jeans but I don't feel like walking into class with full race gear on.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Nick P said:
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be wearing leather pants when I ride to class. I'll never get on the bike in anything less than jeans but I don't feel like walking into class with full race gear on.
Why is it race gear? Is the jacket race gear? How about an over-pant that you can take easily off with full-length zippers?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nig said:
No, neither is common sense :)
Hehe, apparently not. :)

I found a local leathers repair shop that'll do it for pretty cheap and it opens up my options quite a bit. I'll go out to the shops on Monday with my back protector and do a final 'fitting'.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Well eventually you have to take some chances. I don't go to class in leather pants. I wear my jacket, helmet, gloves, and boots. The leather pants just stand out too much....and no I can't take them off. Where am I going to put them? My bag is full to the brim already. I carry my jacket and helmet, and that makes all my arms full. I almost drop those carrying them around. I'm still trying to find a good place to haul all of that stuff around. And, no I'm not gonna leave it on the bike, because the only way to do that is to lock it up with a cable lock and I wouldn't even trust that with my Dainese jacket. So until I get side bags with locks no leather pants. Will I regret it if I crash and get roadrash on my legs.....of course.

Now to keep on topic Dorao, my jacket goes down to my waist. Some jackets protrude lower with a flap. My jacket is setup to take pants with a 360 degree zipper. It protects my back yes....would a jacket that protrudes lower help, probably so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts