Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may have read elsewhere:
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1856107#post1856107

... I have just finished a day tour on the FZ6. I occasionally stretched my legs by propping them up on the frame sliders. While slider's placement is perfect for this, there short geometry makes for dangerous risk of the boot slipping off.

I would like to find and make a highway peg for this bike. I am hoping that someone can either link me to a supplier, or a shade-tree mechanic to custom fab such a beast.

I can concieve of a peg, as being either:

1) Merely a curved plate connected under the rubber slider of the frame slider (I have the Yamaha slider)
- This is simplest, but will not be universal to other sliders.
- This is rigid peg, so won't fold up under steep lean angles.

2) A continuous bent bar extending in front of the cylinder block (and hoses) but bracketed onto the two spare forward mounts.
- This is complex (but easy), and will be universal to other sliders.
- This fits on existing spare engine mounts (intended for crash bars).
- This is flexible peg, so will fold up under steep lean angles.
- This requires custom frame to be matted with stock peg (foldable).

Ideally, the pegs should be spring-foldable (as conventional pegs are) to permit proper collapse under steep lean angles. I prefer scheme #2.

If anyone on this forum can fab this, I can do the engineering and drawings.

What do you guys think ???
a) Know any such existing stock product?
b) Know any fab shop that could make custom piece?
c) Any forum member with fab'ing equipment to work with me on this?
d) Any other (better) ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Interesting that you are looking to get your feet out in front of you. I rode about 7 hours yesterday (yes, my monkey butt is feeling better now, but its time for a Corbin!) and kept thinking I'd be more comfortable with rear-sets. I find I'm most comfortable with just the balls of my feet on the stock pegs. Problem is that you can't use the rear brake or shifter like that.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
On long rides without a passenger, I put my feet up on the passenger pegs to ease my ankle joints. It takes practice to get your feet up there, but with practice it's easily done.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I actually put my legs up on the sliders if I'm going on a highway or something like that. I rotate between legs on sliders, feet on slider, feet on normal pegs, and feet on back pegs. i do this to keep my legs from cramping.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
skeleton-

I'd actually been eyeballing that same bracket as an attachment for a freeway peg. I was thinking that since the peg is not structural, I could sort of mock one up in pipe, solder it up and bolt it on, and see how it works before asking someone to make one that looks good. The idea was abandoned because I didn't know if putting pegs on the engine was a good idea. Maybe your design could reach up to the nearby frame attachment if that's an issue.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gtfazer6 said:
I actually put my legs up on the sliders if I'm going on a highway or something like that. I rotate between legs on sliders, feet on slider, feet on normal pegs, and feet on back pegs. i do this to keep my legs from cramping.
I did the same sequence of postures on my 500km ride. I also would kick back onto to rearset as Segue00 suggested.

I found that being on the rearset, while fun and a nice stretch, I was poorly braced (little tripod force on those pegs). I would only occasionally ride that way at speed, and only on straights.

With my feet or calves up on the frame sliders, it was exactly like a cruiser posture. It instantly "calmed" me down, and I was actually compelled to go slow - this is a good thing for me. It also helped open up the view to the scenery. This was theraputic for me to use when going thru small towns. (I would never buy a cruiser, but I can appreciate their more laid back appeal.)

From this recent experience, the FZ6 would be a unique "transformer bike", with three sets of pegs. Center for standard rides, Rearset for dragging/slipstream, and Highway for lazy rides.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
karst said:
skeleton-

I'd actually been eyeballing that same bracket as an attachment for a freeway peg. I was thinking that since the peg is not structural, I could sort of mock one up in pipe, solder it up and bolt it on, and see how it works before asking someone to make one that looks good. The idea was abandoned because I didn't know if putting pegs on the engine was a good idea. Maybe your design could reach up to the nearby frame attachment if that's an issue.
Oops, you make a good criticism. I know those small engine mounts could take the load, but generally it is not adviseable. I'll have to think more about that one. Nonetheless, I think this is the best pickup point.

Another problem with those mounts is the pegs are picking up the vibration more directly from the engine. They might have an annoying tickle. More to think about.

Here is a third scheme, an amalgamation of the previous two.

Which to you think works best (fabbing, strength, appearance, function)?

I have included other pixs, showing Yamaha engine guard (this precludes the use of engine sliders as they share the same attachment point). Also is some aftermarket hiway pegs and appearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is a third scheme, an amalgamation of the previous two.

Which to you think works best (fabbing, strength, appearance, function)?

I really like this scheme and would sell my LSLs to make it happen.

On another topic, beware of the Corbin solution as a silver bullet. Their cruiser saddles are a lot better than their sport bike seats.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a 4th scheme. I checked the bike and thi seems to be the best:
- Universal, as clamp is above any type of existing frame slider.
- Strong cuz it primarily clamps to frame.
- Secondary brace extends to engine tab for stability.
- Vertical rod allows for adjustability for hiway peg placement.
- Simple fabrication

Parts list:
- 1" diam bent round bar
- 1" flat bar for engine tab
- 1.5" flat bar bent and welded for frame clamp
- 3 nut & bolts
- Highway pegs by Kuryakyn

Estimated cost:
- Highway pegs $125/pair (Pacific Yamaha - Kuryakyn)
- Custom bracket $150/pair (Luke's machining Ltd)
- Powder coat paint $25
- Miscelaneous $50 (hardware bolts, rubber collar, etc)
- Total = $350

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
skeleton said:
Here is a 4th scheme. I checked the bike and thi seems to be the best:
Nice idea but it might be asthetic challenge to make it look integrated.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
RebelFZ6,

The sketch looks ugly - with heavy and colored lines for clarity.

I am rather convinced on the lower engine tab. I am not committed to the upper frame clamp (bulky and awkward to fab). Still working on it in my sub-conscience...

Whatever the final product is, it will be powder-coat finished with matching white/silver to match the engine. As such I think it will blend in, with little awareness from the casual onlooker.

Once I finalize the design, I'll do a proper rendering to confirm its invisibility.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rdy2rd,

I hope you are up for the challenge ...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, I think I have the final design - #5.

- Very simple to fab.
- Least cost, probably $250.
- Attaches only to engine tabs.
- No interference with existing frame sliders.
- More compact appearance.
- Hiway pegs fold back during low side crash.
- Hiway pegs fold back when not in use, for streamline appearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
would it look better to use a set of rear pegs from the FZ6? i'm not sure or not, thats why I'm asking, and they may be cheaper than the other set.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gtfazer6,

I had picked conventional hiway pegs cuz they come fitted with a pipe clamp for attachment. I can also make their placement adjustable.

Rearsets would require a corresponding bracket for reception, and would not be adjustable. However, they would be cheaper. Nonetheless, I'll look further into your suggestion - thanks.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
:lol @ the legs drawing, that's very disorienting. I may well want one of these, once you tell us how the engine vibes feel with that setup.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think i understand what you are trying to do, im gonna tinker around and see if I might be able to fabricate something. i'll take pics if I ever get there.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts