Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post to the website, and I thank you in advance for any help. First, I would like to give a little history of my riding experience, and ask a few questions from there about a potential next purchase.

I have ridden dirt since I was very young, around 5 or so, and got my first street bike when I was 16, 7 years ago. It was an old beat up 1986 Honda Interceptor 500cc. I rode that bike for around 2 to 2.5 years, until I finished my first year in college. With my fist summer internship I bought a 2002 Yamaha R6, and absolutely loved this bike. To be honest, some of the reason was probably from attention that I was getting from girls wanting a ride....... That's another topic I suppose....... I kept this bike for around two years or so, and decided that I wanted a fuel injected bike. I then purchased a 2003 Kawasaki 636 and rode it for around a year. Unfortunately, I had to sell this bike to pay for school and a wedding. Since that time, it has been about a year since I have ridden, but I have the bug to ride again bad.

I'm hearing rumors of a road coarse track opening here in Bowling Green, KY. I would like to have something that I could ride to work, but also take to the track if I ever wanted to, though I don't know that this will ever happen for sure yet. I'm not too concerned about riding ergonomics as the longest ride I've ever made has been around 2 hours, and can grab my uncles cruiser if I ever want to ride farther. What I'm wondering is this. I've been looking into buying a newer R6 (2005 or newer), and adding a few race components, or buying an older style cb750 (something like that) and making a cafe racer style bike. I can do all mods myself, and know a lot more research is required on the cafe style bike. Although, I would like some input from people who have ridden/raced both, and maybe their thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

·
Registered
848 Posts
R6 is an excellent choice, but who says ya can't be comfy on the R6 for longer stints? i've put 350 miles on the 750 in a day without too much trouble and would have rode longer if i didn't have family to do things with too. :)

i'd probably stay away from the cafe racer thing for a bit. you might come up with some other better ideas as you ride more and try out different things. ya never know. i didn't think i would ever own an SS because of the terrible ergos, but alas, they are (for me) a million times better than any cruiser. heck, the other day, took the 750 to Independence in the afternoon (38 degrees out and sunny - about an hour 1-way - mostly highway) and thoroughly enjoyed myself. can't wait to get out and ride some more. WOOOOOOOOT!!!

good luck on whatever you do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello lasermax and shamrock, that would be the rumor I am referring to. Very exicted about the potential for this happening.

Man I love the Daytona's, but haven't found much of a selection in this area. I remember when this bike got bike of the year back in 2006 (I believe this was the year) and since then have loved these. I also wonder about the avalability of performance parts?

My only concern about an R6 is it being too much bike for a first track bike? I'm not scared of the power on the street as I ride with some sence, but still do not classify myself as an expert rider by any means. I just don't want to get in over my head, and don't know what I don't know about track riding. That was part of the reasoning behind the cafe racer as it would be slower possibly..... What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the post 750again...... Seems everyone is pushing towards the r6 instead of the cafe racer. Any particular issues to worry about on these newer bikes when buying?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have owned an 82 GS750E and an 83 Seca 750 shafty ive also owned a handfull of 600's and larger SS...For all practicality those older UJM's are hard to beat for a daily ride. They usually have plush suspension big fat comfortable seats and bullet proof air cooled 4 cylinder engines..I am a fan of them for sure! But they are heavy and have poor brakes and suspension compared to today's Bikes. Seeing how you want something you can shoot to the track with once in a blue moon ide say they are not what your looking for.

Have you looked into a zzr600? that seems to be a good all around street bike with capabilities at the track. Also an sv650 might be an option i am not sure what style you like but if anything get a run of the mill 600 like an F4i or there abouts.

Reactions: tom6756

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Hello lasermax and shamrock, that would be the rumor I am referring to. Very exicted about the potential for this happening.

Man I love the Daytona's, but haven't found much of a selection in this area. I remember when this bike got bike of the year back in 2006 (I believe this was the year) and since then have loved these. I also wonder about the avalability of performance parts?

My only concern about an R6 is it being too much bike for a first track bike? I'm not scared of the power on the street as I ride with some sence, but still do not classify myself as an expert rider by any means. I just don't want to get in over my head, and don't know what I don't know about track riding. That was part of the reasoning behind the cafe racer as it would be slower possibly..... What are your thoughts?
There are plenty of performance parts for them. Just gotta know where to look. Head on over to triumph675.net. We have an entire forum section for parts.

BTW, I own one. :) Bought it at Commonwealth Cycles in Louisville.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Damn, thanks for the post. I really like those older style bikes, but what you're saying makes perfect since. Even that 86 interceptor I had was very heavy. Handling and breaking were night and day compared to the 02 R6. I have ridden a couple of the sv's and they are honestly a great bike, and if I was more concerned with long rides would buy one. I think I'm looking for something with a full fairing and a little more aggressive stance. The zzr600 is closer to what I'm looking for, I think. How does that compare to the R6s's? Same riding stance and handling characteristics? What are the biggest differences in that and the zx6r?

Shamrock, I've been looking for a Daytona since you said that, and the closest used bike I can find is in Indiana..... I just moved to KY and am looking for a good site other than craigslist. Any recommendations for a site with better selections? When I lived in Cookeville, Tn they had a website golsn.com that was awesome. I don't know if their is anything similar in this area?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts