Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy an enclosed trailer for two bikes. I'll probably be going with a 6x12, but in regards to brands I should be looking for I have NO idea. I'm looking to spend no more than 3200, can I pick up a quality trailer for this price? I don't mind buying used.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy an enclosed trailer for two bikes. I'll probably be going with a 6x12, but in regards to brands I should be looking for I have NO idea. I'm looking to spend no more than 3200, can I pick up a quality trailer for this price? I don't mind buying used.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
My advice, go as big as you can and look for a used aluminum trailer. Rance and CargoPro (also sold as Thule) are two of the better ones I'm aware of. I had a steel 1998 Haulmark 6x10 that I just sold last year. Someone fucked up the wiring harness trying to steal it or just trying to be an asshole. I had no issues with it, except it's way smaller than my current trailer and being steal, weighs more. Plus, I started painting the frame rails every fall to avoid rust.

For reference, I paid $3,600 for my 6.5 x 12, plus 3' V 2008 Cargo Pro Aluminum trailer, with deep cycle battery, wheeled landing gear, flooring, lighting and some more stuff.

It also had an autographed OCC poster inside, so figure $3,650 without it. :)

The other side to it, you can buy a new Haulmark for 3,300 and sell it 13 years later for a little over $1,000.

Trailer Corner

·
Registered
39 Posts
have you checked out the used adds for the small horse trailers? they have been selling cheep due to horses not worth much these days people getting out of owning them.. look on some horse forums in your area.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
My question is what are you towing with and how far do you intend to go. While big as you can is good for loading stuff it will chew fuel and be a dog to tow. I had mine custom made it fits two road bikes runs proper suspension and has a 75mm drop axel and a tilt up roof so it sits pretty low. It will take two road bikes and there is some room for gear in the front. Most importantly it tows quiet happily behind a sedan. Although the horse float is not a bad idea might be worth getting one and using it as a base for your own bodywork.

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill be towing with a ford explorer, not really sure how far I'll go. It'll vary from 3 hour trips, to a couple day trips. Just looking for a decent brand and a place to find them. I havent had much luck with craigs.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
check craigslist. that is where i found my gem. $3500.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Gatormade. My best friend sells trailers as a career. Here are his prices (new). He rides an R1, I think his name on here is srmkyr1.

enclosed 6x12 V nose 1 axle $2,695
enclosed 6x12 V nose 2 axles $3,495

Manufacturer of Gooseneck Trailers and Equipment Trailers | Enclosed Cargo Trailer 6 x 12 "V" Nose 3k GVW
A friend of mine has a similar trailer. I don't think it's the same brand but it worked great. He put three tracks in it (two on the side and one down the middle) and fit two bikes perfectly, with plenty of room for other misc. items. He also put some non-slip coating on the rear door to make it easier to help with loading the bikes. The wood is probably fine, but the extra coating doesn't hurt and isn't that expensive. He first used it to haul our bikes from the DC area down to the Deal's Gap area.

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill take a look at gatormade. Are there certain things I should be looking for in a trailer? I see a wide variety of prices and I'm unable to tell if I'm simply paying for the name, or build quality. I'm sorry but im completely clueless as to what to look for in a trailer, first time I've bought one so I'm a little out of the loop in regards to what to look for.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
size of wheels, gross vehicle weight, accessories.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Prices vary more for the following reasons:

Axles, suspension, e-brake/no brakes, Al vs steel, wood quality (thickness and level of water-proofing), wheels and state of manufacture (for example, Indiana-built trailers are usually better made than Georgia trailers, even from the same manufacturer).

There's a lot less trailer manufacturers than there trailer names.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts