Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has recently become more intersted in possibly joining the ranks of the "riders of motorcycles", as I think she has gotten a taste of the fun that can be had by just riding on the back of a motorcycle. She expressed a curiousity that she may want to learn how to ride and ride along side, rather on the back, one day. So, this brings me to trying to find someone who has a 50-100cc dirtbike I could buy for her to learn on, at the expense of my back lawn. I'd like to find a very physically small bike that would normally fit a pre-teenager so that she is not intimidated by "being on a big motorcycle", etc. Something she could all but stand up and hop off of if she felt she needed to, versus running into my nice vinyl siding. ;)

Does anyone have one they're looking to get rid of?

Ultimately, once she gains a basic understanding of how to operate a motorcycle I intend on having her take a local MSF course from Drake Univ. or some such. I'm anticipating her slipping into a Honda Rebel 250 or a Yamaha Virago 250 as a first bike. If she sees it through and actually learns to ride, she'll likely be a cruiser-bike chick over a sportbike chick. Just not her style. She doesn't prefer the riding position of sportbikes and has said she'd like something she can sit comfortably on and...well...cruise.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
a 50 may be to small of a frame for an adult. But an 80/90 may be ok. Ive seen them for sale in the paper for around 800-1000 for a 2-5 year old one. Just bought an 80 cc atv last month and that rips around at almost 35 mph with me on it... So the dirtbike should do at least that.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Just looking for something that has all the working components of a street bike so the learning of how to use the clutch, etc. can be done on grass at slow speeds.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Well consider this: I almost got a 50cc dirtbike for my 4 year old (he learned how to ride a bike w/o training wheels and they have throttle limiters on the 50cc bikes) The 50 fit him. Your g/f is a petite woman but she'd not a dwarf. :)

Seriously just look at the paper every morning b/c when I called on them in the afternoons they were usually already sold. The Suzukis and Yamaha always seemed a couple hundred cheaper than the Hondas. Also, the 80s seem to be raced more and many times had high perf parts (which I didnt need for a 4 year old). I'll keep an eye out for your.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts