Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden a lot of street and track for quite awhile. But I would still say I'm not completely comfortable with my bikes. Even just standing still, I'm concerned about losing them on a wet patch, not having the sidestand fold up coming off a rear stand, etc.

There was a video of a German riding instructor I saw some time ago, where he rides up on a BMW something (not an S1000RR), hops off the bike as it rolls to a stop, balances it by grasping the mirror with one hand, and then casually walks around the balanced bike, pointing out minor details of a pre-ride inspection. Then he climbs back on the bike (from the right side), shifts into first, does a neat 180 doughnut, and rides back out of the shot.

It's not any of the particular actions/stunts that he does that are impressive - it's the level of comfort and confidence with the bike in all positions and orientations. It shows mastery, and I want it. I used to ride up and down all the exterior staircases at my college, but that's as far as I ever got - and I was still uncomfortable doing little rear-wheel slides into parking spaces and the like. Need practice.

But I want it without smashing up my nice new K1300S. ;) That's always been my reason for not pursuing this kind of experimentation; I hate crashed, rashed up bikes. So I want to get something I can beat the crap out of while practicing.

The stunters all seem to use 600SS bikes, which seem to me to be a horrible choice - they have expensive plastics and parts. I would think that a dirt bike would be better, but I need something that can be registered for the street. Would a dual-sport absorb more drops/low-speed crashes better, or something like a DRZ-400SM or the Yamaha 250 super-moto? Are there specific bikes that "crash well", without breaking ignition/battery parts or engine case covers?

KeS

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Just buy a 600SS that has already had the fairings smashed. Otherwise grab a pre-08 ninja 250/500, a used Buell, a hyosung, whatever - if the purpose of the bike is to learn and not give a shit about the bike itself, just grab something that's cheap and mechanically sound.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ok. Any specific dual-sport models to look at? I don't know that market at all.

KeS
DRZ400 and WR250 are the lightest outside of off-road conversions if thats what you are looking for. The WR being more modern and more nimble, but also less powerful and more high strung. Also the DRZ has been around longer so its easier to find a beater. I would probably lean towards the DRZ unless you found a great deal on the WR250 or something like a converted WR450. None of the above have the explosive power for burnout antics if thats what you are after though.

I've found my WRX on its side in parking lots twice, and laid it over in dirt once myself. No damage except to my sliders, pegs, and bars.

·
Registered
357 Posts
600ss bikes are light, quick, and great handling. Just install all the proper frame/axle sliders sticky tires etc. But really, crashes/slides always have the risk of permanent bodily injury and not worth the risk of pushing the limits IMO, unless one is a professional racer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Stunters love to start people on an older CBR600F4i. Main reason is because that thing is TANK. You can drop it anyhow, pick it up and keep riding.
With that said, it will be best to still to install a crash cage. Also a round bar if you plan on doing some sweet wheelies.

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
A Japanses built Supermoto in my opinion would be the best. They are bullet proof bikes, cheap, reliable, cheap for insurance...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Get a cheap dirt bike (ttr 230) for 1k ride the piss out of it. Crash it, jump and crash it, loop a wheelie, wheelie and crash it, hit a tree, case the frame. Then sell it. I bought mine for 1k and sold it for 1k. When I got on my sm my riding skill increased a lot.

If your tall in would recommend a older Dr 650. There tough as nails and run till literally the motor splits. Drz400sm is gona be the most fun to own and most reliable.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Came here to post that, leaving satisfied.

Any naked bike will be "cheap" to wreck, if you look into SV series, make sure you have frame sliders, otherwise a tip over can end up with a trashed radiator and/or gas tank.

Not all supermoto or enduros are cheap to wreck, if you care about resale value. If you do, look into the BMW F650/700/800GS series with crash guards, I've seen those bikes wreck like a boss with no damage to the bike, just scratches on the crash guards. On the other hand, the more street biased the bike is, the heavier and top heavier it will be.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts