Sport Bikes banner

161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am interested in purchasing my first sportbike, I've driven a friends "03" GSXR-750 and thought it fit and drove pretty well. My dilemma is that I'm 6'4" and about 200lbs. Should this play any part in my picking a bike? Is a 750 a good size for me or should i go a little b*****? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i just want to say thanks to this site overall and thanks to this thread. I'm a beginner, never really rode a motorcycle other than a small dirtbike a couple of times. I'm definately going to take a beginner's course but was wondering, with money not really being an issue...would you choose the 2010 hyosung 250R, Ninja 250R, or a Ducati Monster 696(if that's even in the running as a starter) as a good first new bike. i'm only 5'8 approx 140lbs but athletic. thanks for any info you can give.
Terry

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I am interested in purchasing my first sportbike, I've driven a friends "03" GSXR-750 and thought it fit and drove pretty well. My dilemma is that I'm 6'4" and about 200lbs. Should this play any part in my picking a bike? Is a 750 a good size for me or should i go a little b*****? Thank you in advance.
no. get a ninja 650R. it is a suitable first bike. the gixxer 750 is NOT

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i just want to say thanks to this site overall and thanks to this thread. I'm a beginner, never really rode a motorcycle other than a small dirtbike a couple of times. I'm definately going to take a beginner's course but was wondering, with money not really being an issue...would you choose the 2010 hyosung 250R, Ninja 250R, or a Ducati Monster 696(if that's even in the running as a starter) as a good first new bike. i'm only 5'8 approx 140lbs but athletic. thanks for any info you can give.
Terry
get the ninja 250

·
Registered
41 Posts
Terry
Go for the 250 ninja. im 5'10 185, and the bike gets up and goes just fine. Im fairly comfortable sitting and riding on it and its been very forgiving.

Plus, lots of people look for 250's so you can ride it for a season, and then sell it off for probably close to what you paid for it, especially if you go used then upgrade.

I found my 88 ninja 250 for 700 bucks on craigslist in good working order with new tires, so its fairly cheap to get one and insurance is 100 bucks a year =) cant go wrong with that

·
Registered
313 Posts
the suzuki SV 650 now comes with ABS available.. Def put it near the top of my list... Looking like it is gonna be between the SV650 or the Ninja 250..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hello fellow riders. Looking at a local Ninja 500 for sale. Good deal?

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500 ONLY 37 miles... pearl blue.

Only 37 miles. 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R. Bike was reposessed from the dealers customer having missed their payments by the bank and I bought this to resell. Normal title. Bike is very easy to ride. Fresh service recently this month. Normal title in hand ready for you to sign as new buyer. Normal daily expected 55-64 mpg gas mileage. Very comfortable sitting position.

$2850.oo. No trades.

KBB has the 2009 Ninja 500 listed at $3585. So this guy asking 'only' $2850 sounds like a fair deal? Or is the fact that he bought it as a reposession too shady?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hyosung is a popular newcomer in the motorcycle world. Plagued with production issues at first, they have been able to iron over most problems to produce a reliable, cheap alternative to the Japanese manufacturers. Three options are available; the naked GT650, the half-faired GT650S, and the fully faired GT650R (in picture).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hyosung is a popular newcomer in the motorcycle world. Plagued with production issues at first, they have been able to iron over most problems to produce a reliable, cheap alternative to the Japanese manufacturers. Three options are available; the naked GT650, the half-faired GT650S, and the fully faired GT650R (in picture).

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
what about the exceptions like me who started out on a liter bike and don't have plans of looking back?
Your profile says you don't even have a bike... And not that that is super relevant because really just because you started on a liter doesn't mean it was or is a good idea. And I would bet money I know riders who are newer who can out ride you on their 250s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've heard from all the bike guys in my area that the ninja 250 is going to be a good fit height wise but it's not going to be fast enough to get out of it's own way if the situation requires quick reaction. From what I've read on this thread most of you seem to feel differently so I'd like to know why.

On another note, I've got my bike license and I'm trying to figure out what bike to get for a starter. I'm about where Wickedskulls is in terms of bike height. I want something sporty yet low enough that I've got the balance I'd like. I've been looking at the sv650sf. I've heard nothing but good about it from the riders I know and even the instructor from my bike course. I really like the style and I'm wondering if maybe there's something a little shorter with the same look and handling as the sv?

161 - 180 of 202 Posts