Sport Bikes banner

141 - 160 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Well the latest 650 has a friendlier riding position than the sportier 600s, but the FZ6 definitely has a nice upright position too. Any of these bikes are just fine, it just depends on how you like the looks and how much ya wanna spend. The Kawasaki Versys is another excellent all round bike. As long as you find a bike with a suitable riding position for you, I just can't see how you could go wrong. Lota great bikes to choose from!
I agree, the 650cc twin class is enjoying a good bit of attention from the manufacturers right now. Used or new, 650s aren't hard to find and are great bikes for the beginner as well as the intermediate and advanced riders.

But Steve-o, think about it like the turbo SS vs the 2.4L SS. The 2.4L is b***** but has less power (more of a focus on torque). The 2.0L turbo is smaller but it was designed for significantly higher performance. The 2.0L is more powerful, but for a 16 year old's first car the 2.4L SS would be safer and still feel pretty fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree, the 650cc twin class is enjoying a good bit of attention from the manufacturers right now. Used or new, 650s aren't hard to find and are great bikes for the beginner as well as the intermediate and advanced riders.

But Steve-o, think about it like the turbo SS vs the 2.4L SS. The 2.4L is b***** but has less power (more of a focus on torque). The 2.0L turbo is smaller but it was designed for significantly higher performance. The 2.0L is more powerful, but for a 16 year old's first car the 2.4L SS would be safer and still feel pretty fast.
Ah i see what u mean. So ninja 650r ftw then? lol

·
Registered
906 Posts
Ah i see what u mean. So ninja 650r ftw then? lol
A 650 is a great bike for any skill level of rider. But don't limit yourself to just the Ninja 650R, another big advantage of the 650 class is that there is a much larger variety of bikes you can buy.

Kawasaki Ninja 650R:
Known for having a bit of a low seat, so you might want to sit on one. Still, an excellent motorcycle that is renowned as one of the best do-it-all motorcycles on the market.

Ducati Moster 696:
SEXY! SEXY! SEXY! And then you hear that beautifully crafted exhaust note that could only come from Ducati! If you gave me unlimited funds to go buy any 650-class bike, the hardest decision I would make would be between the red, black, or white Monster 696. It also does a great job of not getting lost amongst the hoards of bright plastic Japanese sportbikes.

Suzuki SV650:
The SV650 isn't just one of the best bikes in the 650cc market, it basically IS the 650cc market. It's tough as nails, cheap as dirt, old as the stone age, and fun as hell. They can be had naked or half-fared and newer models even have optional ABS.

Triumph Bonneville/Thruxton:
A remake of an old school bike that has quite a reputation. It's technically an 865cc twin but its performance is more on par with the 650cc crowd. I just mention them because they are very nice motorcycles, despite being in more of a niche cafe racer market (but if retro bikes are your thing, you will love a Triumph). It's a very nice blend of retro styling and modern technology. You will definitely stand out in a crowd riding one of these.

Yamaha FZ6:
This is actually a 4-cylinder 600cc motorcycle, but it is Yamaha's down-tuned naked version of their R6. The powerband will be noticeably more peaky than the twin bikes, but most people on this forum would agree that this is still a suitable first bike. Where the FZ6 shines is that it works amazingly at being both a canyon carver and a daily rider to and from work.

Suzuki DR650SE:
If you're doing 75%+ of your riding in the city, seriously consider one of these dual-sports. As a dual-sport motorcycle intended for on/off-road use, the very long travel of the suspension makes a joke out of what are otherwise dangerous hazards to a motorcycle (such as speed bumps, potholes, and train tracks). The high seat is great for a taller rider. The really light weight and slim design make it one of the most maneuverable bikes you can buy. The single cylinder will save gas and the dual-sport classification can literally save you hundreds or even thousands in insurance. If a normal 650cc motorcycle is a good do-it-all motorcycle that would be comparable to a BMW M3, then this bike would be the Mini Cooper S. Not quite as potent in a straight line, but will keep you smiling all day as you thrash it through the corners like a go-kart.

And these are not all of you choices, there's still other motorcycles such as the Kawasaki ER-6n, Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki Gladius, Suzuki V-strom, Honda 599, the Hyosung GT650. The 650 class can refer to quite a few motorcycles, the most important thing is for you to take an MSF course, find the kind of riding you like to do the most, then pick a bike based on that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, first off thanx for the picture show lol also I am gonna take the MSF course it's all scheduled and paid for. I really like the 650r's styling and the FZ6 looks good too and there's no way i can afford a damn ducati lol. But, overall i think it will def lead up to just when i sit on any of them and which feels the most comfortable.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Well, first off thanx for the picture show lol also I am gonna take the MSF course it's all scheduled and paid for. I really like the 650r's styling and the FZ6 looks good too and there's no way i can afford a damn ducati lol. But, overall i think it will def lead up to just when i sit on any of them and which feels the most comfortable.
Actually, you might be able to afford a used 696. I have one near me: '09 Monster 696, 1034 miles, service records, Rizoma bars, $7300 and the seller sounds like he will go lower to get it gone. Maintenance is similar to the Japanese bikes in price and frequency. I would personally take a slightly used Ducati over a brand new 650R/FZ6/SV650 any day, but it's ultimately your bike that you're going to be learning to ride on. The single most important thing to picking your first motorcycle is find one that is comfortable for you.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I wasn't comparing the FZ6 to the SV650, that's a whole nudder ballgame. Having ridden both, I'd give the nod to the SV then. Seems like the later models of SVs have so much lower bars though, that it makes the riding position uncomfortable, at least for me. Then again, maybe it was the SV1000 that I thought was way too racy a position. Again, ya just can't go wrong with any of these bikes. Get what ya want, we just spend so much time overanalyzing em all. Truth is we'd enjoy every minute on most any of em.

·
Registered
14 Posts
okay guys when it comes to the fz6 i'm assuming you guys are saying the fz6r is better than the fz6 cuz the fz6r seems to be the more noob friendlier bike.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Not necessarily. I say they're both quite newbie friendly but the FZ6R although dressed up, updated, whatever you call it, is down a little in horsepower compared to the FZ6. Not that you'd notice until you really got it into the upper rev range. I just don't understand why they gave it less power, it wasn't like FZ6 owners were complaining it had too much. Get which one you like the looks of best and you'll be happy as pie. By the way, Enzo, great post man. Love the pics. The FZ6 I have is exactly the one you posted! The Thruxton oozes cool, it's slicker than cum on a gold tooth.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Get what ya want, we just spend so much time overanalyzing em all. Truth is we'd enjoy every minute on most any of em.
Very true! I normally ride a Harley but I would still rock the hell out of a Ninja 250! In a perfect world I would have a bobber Harley ironhead, a Thruxton, a Ducati 696, and an Aprilia SXV550. In an imperfect world, I would ride just about anything with two wheels and a clutch.

The Thruxton oozes cool, it's slicker than cum on a gold tooth.
I think I jerked off to a picture of a Thruxton once when I was drunk.:lao

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great bike, very adjustable to the rider. I sat on one and I really liked it, but I never got to ride it.
I've decided, the FZ6R is the bike i want. I love the specs, the reviews are great and it looks awesome. I can only see my problem would be finding a used one since the 6r was introduced in 2009 model year and since it's not like a bike people would get easily tired of it may be hard to find used. Sure I could afford new, but i dont wanna mess up a new bike if i drop the thing which i will probably surely do if not more than once. So, pending a sit down on the bike i think i've made my choice. Thanks guys, btw chad stop suckin so much in COD lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
so took my MSF course this past weekend and i passed the written test with a 90 and got the 2nd highest score on the driving. Figure 8's were probably the biggest bitch to figure out but i nailed it on the exam :) so i just need to take the DMV's written test and the license is mine. Also i ordered my first helmet today and goin bike shopping in april.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have been hovering here for awhile and i decided to register and make my first post. i think anyone who would go get one of these insanly fast bikes for their first bike is misinformed. also any dirt experience does not mean squat on the street. asphalt is way different from dirt. not to mention all the cars and other distractions.

ok so i want to recomend a good bike thats been very good to me as my first bike. especially for those of us that are crossing over from the dirt world. the kawasaki klx 250s or klx 250sf depending on whether you will be doing more street or dirt riding. its definatly on the slow end of the spectrum. my one ton dually truck does a quicker quarter mile but its so fun on the twisty backroads you wont care your doing the speed limit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found myself an FZ6R used for $6k but I think i can get them down to 5.5

Actually I stumbled apon it at a honda dealer while snooping around since they have a good selection of gear

·
Registered
17 Posts
This thread is pretty much what I was looking for. Despite all the arguing in my head screaming "just get a 600 and be careful!" I've honestly decided that I would rather not take the chance and start out on something a little more respectable for me. I'm gonna take the MSF course before too long, and I guess that'll give me a chance to see what I like in terms of styling and seat position, but as of right now, that GS500 is looking like something I would have in mind.

Thanks for the great thread.

141 - 160 of 202 Posts