Sport Bikes banner

81 - 100 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was wondering if the the buell lightning xb12scg would be ok for a starter since it doesnt have the powerband of a inline 4. That is the only bike that i have sat on that i feel very comfortable on. i am a very large guy about 280lbs. so i dont think that a 250cc will be a good bike for me. i dont like crusiers. I have a short inseam and for most bikes i am tipitoeing. I know it is a stretch but I wanted to get some other input from other riders. Is it better to get a bike you are more comfortable and powerful with and tread lightly, or get something that is uncomfortable and might not want to ride.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
^^ it is important to be comfortable on your ride, but that's far from a justification for a 1200cc bike. If you care about your safety and well being, then it would be prudent to do some research on the wide range of motorcycles there are out there.

Google can bring up 693,000 hits on just the search string "beginner motorcycles". See how easy it is? Make your own decisions, justify your own means, and ride with knowledge behind it.

:cheers

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I was wondering if the the buell lightning xb12scg would be ok for a starter since it doesnt have the powerband of a inline 4. That is the only bike that i have sat on that i feel very comfortable on. i am a very large guy about 280lbs. so i dont think that a 250cc will be a good bike for me. i dont like crusiers. I have a short inseam and for most bikes i am tipitoeing. I know it is a stretch but I wanted to get some other input from other riders. Is it better to get a bike you are more comfortable and powerful with and tread lightly, or get something that is uncomfortable and might not want to ride.
Ninja 650R - I'm b***** than you and it's comfortable for me. It's not an FJR or anything, but it's liveable until I'm ready for one. They offer a lower seat for it and if you're really short legged - I'm a 32" inseam and flat foot it - there are lowering blocks available.

Oh, and comfortable on the showroom floor and comfortable riding aren't the same thing. Once you start riding the bike, you'll find the compactness of the Ninja more reassuring

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I will probably get a buell blast for my first bike. The only problem is where do I go from there? My inseam is like 28 inches. I dont fit on any "sportbike" without tiptoeing. So with that said the only sporty bike I have found that is the low buell. Would it be ok to jump from a 500cc to a 1200cc? Guess my only options are to lower a sportbike or ride cruisers which i really dont want to do. I really hate the idea of lowering a bike, especially to the point where I will have to. Either way I am screwed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
^^ it is important to be comfortable on your ride, but that's far from a justification for a 1200cc bike. If you care about your safety and well being, then it would be prudent to do some research on the wide range of motorcycles there are out there.

Google can bring up 693,000 hits on just the search string "beginner motorcycles". See how easy it is? Make your own decisions, justify your own means, and ride with knowledge behind it.

:cheers
I have done tons of research... that is why i dont have a bike yet. I cannot find one that like and am comfortable on. I have sat on just about every major brand sportbike in the past 5 years. They keep getting taller for whatever reason.I know it is not a justification to go to a 1200cc. I guess I am just looking for an option that is not there.

·
sacrilicious
752 Posts
what about going on something non current? Like, you are very concerned for your size, and I can understand that, but what size do you want, and what sportbikes have you looked at? you've said everything, but what are you looking for? just a 600cc sportbike?

then I'll ask why are you looking at a sportbike rather than a cruiser?

Then I'm going to recommend an SV650.

lower it an inch, then chop the stuffing out of the seat, that should put it at your height.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am looking for a sportbike that is very agressive looking but isnt going to put me to where I can barely touch the ground. I like naked sports and SS bikes. I know i definately dont want o start on a SS bike with 130+ hp. That is insane! The way i see it I will have to lower anything i ride, but i dont want to mess up the suspension geometry. Cruisers really arent my style.

As far as engine size goes I really dont care. I dont want to to fly down the road like most squids on a sport bike but, i do want to have enough power to pass a car easily on the freeway if i need to. I also want something that will handle with the best of them. Like I have said before I like late model Buells I just wish they made one that was low other than the Blast and the XB12Scg something in between that would be perfect. Ok parameters are: Something with a seat height less than 30 inches, about 45-75 hp, good looking, and good gas mileage between 50-60mpg. I know this bike can be built it just doesnt exist, That i know of.

I wish that there a was a 500cc sportbike that looked good, the ninja is 20 years old and looks it and the suzuki is an acquired taste(fugly) IMO, and both of those I would still have to lower. If Kawasaki would update the 500 the way that they did the 250 and keep the seat height the same , I would not have a problem with lowering it since it would look great. The SV650SF is a good looking bike but I would have to lower it about 3 inches.

At this point I am about ready to just go get a Harley 883 Iron and give up on trying to get a sportbike, but those bikes are very heavy. I love the ninja 250, but I dont think that it will have enough power for me and I will have to lower it. The reason I believe it will not have enough power is cause I want to be able to use my bike as a commuter when possible and anywhere I go pretty much involves freeway riding (60mph +).

Sorry for the long post. There is just no bike that is made that is good for a beginner and someone of my stature in the sportbike segment. As far as I know and was just making shure that there wasnt something that i have overlooked.

·
Registered
338 Posts
hehe no way you could translate the whole thing eh? I'm from saskatchewan. Canadians FTW.

it's 90% car 10% driver ... on a bike it's 90% rider 10% bike. Sure, you'll never get a 250 to hit 160 and a 8 sec quarter, but that 650 can stand up with the best of 'em if you know what you are doing.
Gonna disagree. going faster in a high powered, RWD car around a track is just as hard as doing it on a bike. People think drag racing is revving it, and shifting. it's not.

Track days are even worse. try driving a C6 Zo6 or 911 GT3. Now try it fast. I can guarantee, it's not 90% car.
Having done both I can say that it is still a lot more difficult to ride a bike fast in the turns than it is driving a car fast around a track. The closest you can get to the difficulty of riding a bike fast in a car is rally racing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
hehe no way you could translate the whole thing eh? I'm from saskatchewan. Canadians FTW.

it's 90% car 10% driver ... on a bike it's 90% rider 10% bike. Sure, you'll never get a 250 to hit 160 and a 8 sec quarter, but that 650 can stand up with the best of 'em if you know what you are doing.
Gonna disagree. going faster in a high powered, RWD car around a track is just as hard as doing it on a bike. People think drag racing is revving it, and shifting. it's not.

Track days are even worse. try driving a C6 Zo6 or 911 GT3. Now try it fast. I can guarantee, it's not 90% car.
Having done both I can say that it is still a lot more difficult to ride a bike fast in the turns than it is driving a car fast around a track. The closest you can get to the difficulty of riding a bike fast in a car is rally racing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am looking for a sportbike that is very agressive looking but isnt going to put me to where I can barely touch the ground. I like naked sports and SS bikes. I know i definately dont want o start on a SS bike with 130+ hp. That is insane! The way i see it I will have to lower anything i ride, but i dont want to mess up the suspension geometry. Cruisers really arent my style.

As far as engine size goes I really dont care. I dont want to to fly down the road like most squids on a sport bike but, i do want to have enough power to pass a car easily on the freeway if i need to. I also want something that will handle with the best of them. Like I have said before I like late model Buells I just wish they made one that was low other than the Blast and the XB12Scg something in between that would be perfect. Ok parameters are: Something with a seat height less than 30 inches, about 45-75 hp, good looking, and good gas mileage between 50-60mpg. I know this bike can be built it just doesnt exist, That i know of.

I wish that there a was a 500cc sportbike that looked good, the ninja is 20 years old and looks it and the suzuki is an acquired taste(fugly) IMO, and both of those I would still have to lower. If Kawasaki would update the 500 the way that they did the 250 and keep the seat height the same , I would not have a problem with lowering it since it would look great. The SV650SF is a good looking bike but I would have to lower it about 3 inches.

At this point I am about ready to just go get a Harley 883 Iron and give up on trying to get a sportbike, but those bikes are very heavy. I love the ninja 250, but I dont think that it will have enough power for me and I will have to lower it. The reason I believe it will not have enough power is cause I want to be able to use my bike as a commuter when possible and anywhere I go pretty much involves freeway riding (60mph +).

Sorry for the long post. There is just no bike that is made that is good for a beginner and someone of my stature in the sportbike segment. As far as I know and was just making shure that there wasnt something that i have overlooked.
The ninja should be pretty good for what you are describing. I rode a 250 earlier today (6'4 240 pounds) and it cruised down I'4 at 80mph without really breaking a sweat. It accellerated decently and with the aftermarket pipe on it it sounded like my yz450 (which has a killer sound in my opinion). I think you will be happy on it and you can always add a little performance to the bike if it does not have enough power for you. This bike had exhaust and some engine tuning for the pipe. Nothing fancy but it certainly was fun to ride.

·
sacrilicious
752 Posts
you said your inseam is what, like 28 inches? the Ninja 650 (from the first page) was test rode by a couple of female riders when it first came out, one of them had a 28" inseam and the other was 27 i think. Either way, they were both short and were able to ride the 650 with little to no trouble. Perhaps that's something you want to look at?

Also with lowering, if you do it RIGHT, and lower the front and back the EXACT same ammount, and don't go crazy (like 3 inches), lower it like an inch or 1.5 at the most, then chop the seat, you should be pretty good.

I rode my friends bike that was lowered 2" and the steering wasn't much different except the pegs were just getting shaved off when I rode it, but another friend lowered his 3" and it was all kinds of different.

DON'T GO HARLEY JUST YET, we can find something. I'm confident. Go try on the ninja, and tell me what you think. Don't worry about the fairing just yet. there is crash protection out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first "street bike" was a 2007 ZZR 600. I like it because it's light. I am saving up for a CRF or KXF 450 so i can put street tires and signals on it. I want to do some of that fun "hooligan" riding. lol

·
Registered
906 Posts
Maybe we can add these to the list as well?

Yamaha WR250X

Not really your average 250. Most 250s in North America are kind of put together to be cheap, get good gas mileage, and a few look cool. The WR250X is pushing the envelope of a "performance 250" so to speak. This bike's motor has more in common with a 250 motocross bike than a Ninja 250. It's still not going to win many drag races, but it will take most, if not all, other 250s and with a good rider can certainly handle with the big boys. Speaking of handling, that would seem to be the strongest suit of this bike, the handling is very much supermoto in nature (and so is the weight, coming in at 299lbs wet). Packed full of technology such as fuel injection, it is a 250 that does not feel put together from the leftover parts bin and can be loads of fun! The high eat position, claimed 71mpg highway, light weight, and high maneuverability should put this bike near the top of the list for city commuters and those not looking to do too much highway (the 6-speed transmission has the capability, but the seat is not designed for touring). Many regard it as the most fun commuter bike on the market. It is also available in a more dirt-oriented R model for those looking to some dual-sporting.

Pros:
Not another bargain bin 250
10,000RPM redline, and the motor loves to be revved
Putting the fun back into the commute
Wringing the throttle through the corners, blaring the RPMs, having the biggest grin on your face, and then realizing your only do 5 over the limit
Packed full of technology (6-speed, fuel injection, adjustable suspension)
Carves corners like no other 250
The look of "dirtbike, WTF?" from cagers
Waving to SS riders as you pass them on the outside of a tight corner
Very good gas mileage
LOW insurance rates
Being unable to stop smiling on it
26K mile valve checks

Cons:
High seat of 35.2" (although I am 5'5" and I am capable of riding it just fine, also the suspension can drop it a bit as well as some cheap or free modifications)
Not for long highway rides (seat not great, small tank)
High price for a 250 (strong light metals and brand new high-performance motors aren't cheap)
Stock mirrors and rear fender a little goofy looking
Can take from upstanding MSF graduate to hooligan with a suspended license in a month flat:twofinger

Suzuki DRZ400SM
Ol' reliable. Cheap used, cheapish new, cheap maintenance, reliable as dirt, overall a great bike. Lacks in some of the areas of the WR250X (suspension and transmission) but has an extra 150ccs for a bit more torque (only a couple more overall hp, but lower redline) and a slightly larger front brake. Another great city commuter, it weighs only 321lbs wet and also has excellent handling in the twisties and smooth maneuverability for city riding. The aftermarket is huge and guys have claimed 60hp motors with great reliability. One of the most popular supermoto bikes. The seat puts you up high and the bike instills confidence in the rider.

Pros:
Great handling
Can be had used for excellent prices
Great gas mileage (stock bikes report somewhere in the 55-60mpg range, which still makes fun of Prius owners)
Low insurance rates
Smiles galore!
Feels very light compared to sport bikes (even the 250s and 500s)
A true corner carver, a good rider can embarrass sportbikes
Excellent commuter ride, puts the fun back into going to work
Gain 3hp and it feels like a different bike
MASSIVE aftermarket, the sky (and your pocket) is the limit with this thing

Cons:
A bit expensive for a beginner bike brand new
High seat of 35"
Lacking the technology of many newer bikes
The 5-speed can be lacking on the highway
Very choked up from the factory, but uncorking it will change the feel entirely

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Yeah, I need to update the list, as I haven't really looked at it for a while. In the next week or two I'll try to clean everything up and update any pictures/info/new bikes as necessary.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Definitely. If you have any other recommendations, be sure to let me know. I should be able to spend some time this weekend cleaning/updating the thread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, I need to update the list, as I haven't really looked at it for a while. In the next week or two I'll try to clean everything up and update any pictures/info/new bikes as necessary.
If you do an update be sure to include Yamaha's new for 09' FZ-6R, it's similar to the sv650 but imo looks a more like a supersport. It's the type of bike that might catch the eye of someone who's so worried about looks he's ready to risk his bacon on a 600ss instead of starting small. :)

81 - 100 of 202 Posts