Sport Bikes banner

201 - 202 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It's ok. It's a little expensive for a first bike in my opinion. A Ninja 500 will perform better and will be cheaper. But the CBR500F itself is a great first bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I post my question here as well, since it is a bit related.

Well, I'm looking for a sort of beginner-non-beginner bike, a first sportbike for a non-sportbike rider. I am a currently riding a Honda NX650 Dominator, a bike I'm very fond of and that I intend to keep. But I'm also in the market for a second bike, and I'd like a sportbike for canyons, twisty roads and possibly some track days.

For the time being I'm looking at sportbikes with 60-80 hp output. I don't care about the type of engine. Being used to a big, nervous mono, I do not fear a twin. And having taken my licence on a Kawa ZR-7, a fairly heavy bike with a grunty I4, I don't panic when I see a four-cylinder. What I know is that I don't need more than I can handle, I do not need a newer racing replica. But I'd like something that handles well, and has a tight feeling on the road. Something fun, and not too costly. As much as I can love my Honda, it's still a bit too bouncy on tarmac - and I wouldn't definitely take it to a track.
Cost needs to be low as well, not exceeding 2500-3000$, so nothing really new. And I kind of like the funky look of old bikes from the nineties and the early '00s.

I've seen a Yamaha TRX850 (half faired, TDM engine, 80hp), and I liked it. It's quite cheap (2000$) and has only 20k. Its problem is that it is as rare as it gets, and that could be a setback if I need parts. I am also fond of the Yamaha SRX600 and SZR660 (classic looks, XT engine, 45hp), but I don't think I should get a second mono. My friends are split. Two say "go get an SV650", but I'm a bit cold on it. I saw a 2.gen (didn’t try it though, it was not insured) and I found it lacking personality, and it has the opposite problem of the TRiXi: it’s just very common and average. And there are not many 2. and 3. generation for sale currently, just funky 1.generation bikes. I reckon it is an amazing ride, but it just didn’t click on me. Another friend says "go get a VFR750", but I fear it'd be too heavy and bulky for my use. In the next days I’ll go check on a 1993 CBR 600 f2, an all-stock bike with a big advantage: it ticks all the boxes, it’s cheap (1800$), has only 20K on the odometer and is registered as a historic vehicle, meaning that insurance costs are about 200$ /year, whereas the others fare well above 600.
Finally, I live in Italy, the reign of Ducatis. I could easily pick up a 748 (still THE most charming bike around, imho) in good condition for 3000€ (3500$), but I'm afraid of running and insurance costs and its pointy power delivery. A Monster? I wouldn't recognize mine in the parking lot, as many as there are here in town.

Any good idea on a cheap, fun, not too powerful first sportbike with personality, one that can be thrown into twisty roads and track days? TRX? SV? CBR f2?

Thank you a lot for your advice!
Raffaele

201 - 202 of 202 Posts