Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I posted another topic about the wreck I was in a couple weeks ago. Called: "I ate it today"

I found the bike I want to get. The 250 is not rideable right now and it's too expensive to drive the truck.

Here's the bike I wanna get. Any opinions are welcome.

2003 Suzuki GSXR-600

It's not spam.

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Shit yea get it! You put in time on the 250. Now reward yourself! As long as You know in your heart YOU can handle it get it. The local dealership has a 1st gen FZ1 that i want but me thinks im still not ready for that. Maybe in 2 more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yea I know what you mean about bein able to handle it.
I am gonna stick to 600. I had a gsxr 1000 I traded my. Car for earlier this year and I sold it. But I still wouldn't feel ready to ride it. The throttle on that 1000 was so touchy, I only rode it down the driveway while I had it. Haha.
I will admit I was big time intimidated by it! Haha

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
A 600cc sportsbike is the best second bike to get . Its the only thing that ever knocks the "owning a 600cc sportbike is going to amaze me so much I will grow a longer cock " problem out of new riders .

·
Registered
917 Posts
Not sure what the reason is for your truck being too expensive to drive, but keep in mind buying a motorcycle like that will make your insurance skyrocket most likely, even for minimal coverage. Something to consider if money is tight right now. Also, driving your truck and fixing your 250, considering the light damage to it, may be cheaper than buying another motorcycle (and then paying the higher insurance and registration fees).

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha

I really love that orange 636, I have wanted it since they came out in 03...I was in high school

The light kit is ok I guess, I want him to take that and the power commander off. But idk, he may have sold it yesterday.

I like the green one too, just not sure of the bonded title.

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
If you want to save money in the long run. Spend the money on a normal car that gets 30mpg.... You'll save more money then buying that bike. But if you really want to get it, ok. But you'll spend more money in the long run.

boston cars & trucks - by owner classifieds - craigslist

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you explain how it cost more in the long run please?

I'm just wondering. I'm not trying to be rude, just curious.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Anything that has "sports" in the title always costs in one way or another . Boats are expensive Sports boats are more expensive . Sports car , sports drink ..sport bike. You are looking right at the expensive to run end of the market .

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
Can you explain how it cost more in the long run please?

I'm just wondering. I'm not trying to be rude, just curious.

Thanks
I'm going to say you'll drive 15,000 miles a year. I do not know how many actual miles you'll drive, but this is a little over the average for a four wheel cage in the USA.

A good rear tyre - $150 3/year = $450
A good front tyre - $120 2.5/year = $300

Plus mount and balance = $220/year (At $40/wheel if you bring the whole bike in vs. bringing in just the wheels and you putting them back on at home, that'll cost $20/wheel). Make sure your wheels are clean, some shops will charge extra if your wheels are dirty and they have to clean them.

If you bring in the whole bike - $970/year
If you bring in just the wheels - $870/year

A chain and sprockets last 20,000 miles. So a new chain and sprockets every 1.25 years. $150/1.25 years

Oil every 5,000 miles - $10/quart (good motorcycle oil) plus $8 for oil filter.

$48 every 5,000 miles. At 15,000 miles a year, that's $144/year in oil.

It's a good idea to flush the brake fluid every year - DIY $10-15.

Brakes - $140/year

At 15,000 miles a year, it'll cost around $1,500. This does not include tax, gas, depreciation value, costs of gear (boots, jacket, helmet, gloves...) maintiance costs (if you take it to a shop that's around $75/hr), insurance, registration and whatever else I have forgotten.

I have a 2006 Ford Ranger, it has 145,000 miles on it.

I'm on my second set of tyres (first set was factory, the current tyres will last till end of next year). I am on my second set of front brake pads (rear drums still have 15,000 miles), oil change every 5,000 miles ($25 I do it)...

Without doing the math, you can tell it's already cheaper to run the truck. It's also a 2.3L, 5-speed, 2WD. I get 26-30mpg.

Of course all the prices are just estimates, they could be more expensive (tyres I believe will be) or less expensive..

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's cool, but I would rather the bike.

A good set of tires is about $750 for a car.

If you get your oil changed at a lube shop, you are looking at $40-60 every 3-4000 miles.

Not counting of something breaks.

My dad bought new tires for his truck this year. Plus the roadside policy and everything.

I'm not trying to be rude or argue, these are just real world numbers.

Either way, I'd rather had a bike.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The bonded title is not a problem. It just means that the owner could not provide sufficient documentation to get a title done in a normal way. So he paid extra for "title insurance" in the case that it had come up stolen or its ownership in some other way was not crystal-clear.

Once you buy it from him it's a regular title that you get from the state.

So - yes a cheap car costs less to commute with than does a bike, once maintenance and tires are all figured. You had that as one of your points. But you really just want to commute on a bike, and the money argument was just chaff. Did I get that one ?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So - yes a cheap car costs less to commute with than does a bike, once maintenance and tires are all figured. You had that as one of your points. But you really just want to commute on a bike, and the money argument was just chaff. Did I get that one ?
Not exactly, it's cheaper to operate my bike than my truck. It's too expensive for fuel in the truck. My point is just that I'd rather a bike over the truck. And I stead of buying a car I'd rather a bike. My money argument was regarding my truck. And with diesel at $3.69 it's expensive to drive.
I've saved quite a bit of money on fuel by commuting on the bike compared to the truck. And the oil change cost about $18 compared to $40

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. These are just numbers compared to a diesel truck and bike.

That's all.

Thanks for the title info. So once I transfer it, I will receive a regular title? Will it cost anymore ? To transfer the title on my bike it was $330

The truck has sentimental value to me, that's why I haven't sold it.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts