Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I have it narrowed down.

Its going to have 2 wheels....Annnnd thats as far as I've made it. I really want to get another big bore bike. My 600 has been an amazing little bike, I love it dearly. But I miss the 'low end' grunt

I've sat on a Concourse 14. I liked it. But it is rather big. And a buddy of mine said "Look out man...thats one step away from a Goldwing". So I've pretty much written this one off.

Then, I was doing some research on touring on the 2nd gen hayabusa. Turns out they're pretty good at it. I used to hate them. I would look the other way when I saw one coming. But they have grown on me. Now, I look at them like a beautiful work of art.

Last week I stopped at the stealership and I was talking to a sales guy who showed me the new V-Strom 1000 and Z1000. Of these two, I think I would be happier with the V-Strom. Better all around bike vs the Z1K, pretty much a hooligan bike.

With all that being said, i really like the idea of an adventure bike. But I don't go on too many adventures. And, I've also fallen in love the with the hayabusa and its abilities to do more than just go fast.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:drool

That thing looks amazing!

EDIT: Both of those bikes look great. I love the sound of that Yamaha thought.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
I have the FJR and bike sat my buddies 2012 Connie. The Connie did feel taller and heavier.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
What's your price range? My vote goes to Ninja 1000, FZ1, a Multistrada 1200, or a Triumph Tiger 1050 (I think they call it Tiger Sport now.). The Ninja seems like a great all around motorcycle, you can ride it like a sport bike, and tour on it. The Multi and Tiger 1050 have crazy power, handle well, and have a super comfy seating position and bags.

The FZ09 looks fun, but you won't be doing any long trips on it if that's your goal. The gas tank is tiny and there's no room for luggage.

I recently switched to a Tiger 800, and while I'm happy with it, and love being able to ride all day with no soreness, you really can't ride these adventure bikes like sport bikes. They require a riding style all their own, and you won't do big lean angles unless you put proper sport touring tires on it, but then you lose what little off road ability you have. However that little bit of off road ability, made better with good tires, has opened up a ton of new riding in my area to me. I've been exploring all sorts of dirt fire roads through state forests that I never knew were there. It's really broadened my motorcycle horizons.

The Multi and Tiger 1050 are more like tall sport bikes, but have no off road ability. They might be a better bet for the sport rider looking to do long rides.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Also, VFR1200s are being blown out at low prices because nobody wants them. They're great bikes with a weird seating position. You can ride then like a sport bike and they should eat big miles without a problem. Shaft drive rocks.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
If I had the cash I'd have a Z1000 in my garage right now. Only about 50 lbs more than the fully tweaked race bike, with all the power. sign me up.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
The Z does not have the power of a tweaked out race bike, unless you're referring to the 600's. It's nowhere near any modern 1000CC sport bike for power.

Got gobs of torque though and looks amazing. I had the 3rd gen and it's awesome bike!! Would love a 4th gen but have no practical use for it at this time in my life.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's your price range? My vote goes to Ninja 1000, FZ1, a Multistrada 1200, or a Triumph Tiger 1050 (I think they call it Tiger Sport now.). The Ninja seems like a great all around motorcycle, you can ride it like a sport bike, and tour on it. The Multi and Tiger 1050 have crazy power, handle well, and have a super comfy seating position and bags.

The FZ09 looks fun, but you won't be doing any long trips on it if that's your goal. The gas tank is tiny and there's no room for luggage.

I recently switched to a Tiger 800, and while I'm happy with it, and love being able to ride all day with no soreness, you really can't ride these adventure bikes like sport bikes. They require a riding style all their own, and you won't do big lean angles unless you put proper sport touring tires on it, but then you lose what little off road ability you have. However that little bit of off road ability, made better with good tires, has opened up a ton of new riding in my area to me. I've been exploring all sorts of dirt fire roads through state forests that I never knew were there. It's really broadened my motorcycle horizons.

The Multi and Tiger 1050 are more like tall sport bikes, but have no off road ability. They might be a better bet for the sport rider looking to do long rides.

Budget is around 8K, 10K max.

I'm really perplexed as to what I want to get next. I've been on sport bikes since my interdiction in motorcycling. I'd been on a few standards here and there, but I've only owned sportbikes. But I have always liked the adventure bikes. I love the rush you get from a simple twice of the throttle, and I love rolling into the corners.

Since Tejas mentioned the FZ-09 I've been doing some digging on that one and I really like it. They do say the suspension needs work, but other than that, its a great bike. My grain of salt with that is, i'm not going to push it as hard as the journalist when they're doing their reviews.

That being said, the power these current adventure bikes are putting out easily matches what my bike has. Even if they have less, they're still more than capable of putting a smile on my face. Hell, my buddies ninja 300 was a hoot to ride.

PS
I LOVE the new VFR1200! But I think its a little out of my price point.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Get a used low mileage Suzuki B-King and put a wind screen on it.
Upright riding position, all day comfortable, freight train torque, bullet proof Hayabusa engine and trans, great brakes, great gas mileage, usability and range for all that power, and you can easily fit luggage on the back. I miss the hell out of mine. I might sell both my bikes and get another. We did frequent thousand mile plus weekend trips with it and I was ready to go the next day. I don't care what people say about the looks, one ride and you won't care either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts