Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I am going to be looking at a couple of bikes.. but wanted to run it by yall, to see wha tyou think.

one is a 2001 purple and green ninja 500r with about 600 miles that has been dropped once and is missing the lower fairing. asking 2800$ for it.

The other is a 1998 red and black ninja 500r never been dropped about 2600 miles for 2500$

What is the cost of a lower fairing?

What do you think??? good prices/ beginner bikes?

also what should i be looking at when i am going to look at the bikes. this would be mine and my wifes very first bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
NADA for the 2001 EX500 Ninja is $2915. Keep in mind that this price is for FULL RETAIL value on a reconditioned, clean, undamaged and well maintained bike. Sounds like he's pretty close, but a little high considering the missing fairing and drop history. I don't know how much the lower fairing runs, but I'd find out and bring this figure to the bargaining table. Ask what side the bike was dropped on. I would take a close look at the bike and see if anything else was scuffed/scatched/bent, such as mirrors, pegs, tail fairing, canopy fairing, engine cases, bar ends, forks, swingarm.

With only 600 miles on the bike, I'd bring a flashlight and look in the gas tank for rust. If the bike has sat for quite a while with gasoline in it I'd be concerned about the fuel system. If you're serious about this bike, I'd have it checked out by a mechanic.

Brake pads should be OK with this little mileage. Look at the brake fluid - if it's clear to light amber that's OK. If it's dark, it needs to be replaced, and will indicate that the bike probably hasn't been regularly serviced.

The chain should be rust-free and the tires should have no cracks or bulges. Batteries typically only last 2-3 seasons in motorcycles - I'd ask how old the current one is and if it has been maintained on a Battery Tender or similar charger.

NADA for the 1998 EX500 Ninja is $2060. Also pretty close, but needs to come down a bit. 2600 miles is still awfully low - I'd be a little worried about service intervals and maintenance. I'd ask for maintenance records on either bike.

Keep in mind that a brand new example of this bike is $4799, and you could probably get a good finance package on a new one.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wouldn't buy a new bike as a new rider. Buy a good used bike with low miles to start on. The Ninja EX500 is a great example and a nice choice for you. I would also recommend that you check out used Suzuki Katanas. I started on a Katana 600 and it was a nice compromise between a 500 and a current 600cc sportbike. Maybe a little more power than a 500 Ninja, but not a current 600cc bike with fuel injection that might get you into trouble.

But then again... maybe you shouldn't read a post from a guy who rides a 1000cc bike with about 2,000 miles under his belt???

Be safe!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd get the '01 because you might have to clean out the carbs on the '98 and you'll also have to give the bike a general tune up because of it's age in respect to the low miles that are in. 500 miles a year isn't anything so you might have some gummed up gasoline.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
again I am looking at both bikes because Both myself and My wife will be needing a bike. I will definitely be taking all the information with me when i go look at them both.

Thanks in advance for everything..

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
go with a used bike especially if it is your first as there is a good chance that the bike will hit the pavement. The ex500 is a good starter bike and I would probably go with the second of the two that you had listed depending on condition.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Both bikes are high priced for what they are....98 should go about 2k and the crashed 01...well I wouldn't pay more than $2200 for it.....it needs parts.

Both will probably need a good carb cleaning as well...so figure THAT in to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New news on the home front. the 98 hasn't been run in a couple years but has recently had an acid bath done on the carb and runs great. I will be going to look at both of them this weekend and if i like what I see I, after having an inspection done, will probably get them both. I will definitely let everyone know what I find out tomorrow. If anyone has any other recommendations please let me know.. I will keep looking in cycletrader and motofinder to see if there are any others in my area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
21 natas said:
go with a used bike especially if it is your first as there is a good chance that the bike will hit the pavement. The ex500 is a good starter bike and I would probably go with the second of the two that you had listed depending on condition.
+1

As for a katana being a good starter bike, I don't think so. My first bike was a katana and if I could do it over I'd go with either the 500 or 250 ninja. The katana weighs in like a prized pig- about a 100 lbs more than the 500 and 180 over the 250! Thats quite a bit of extra mass for a begining rider to manage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
synopsis of weekend

i would easily drop 2500 on the 1998 red. bike has one owner and been garaged. bike hadn't been used in a couple years but was just taken in to a shop and has been completely gone through to make it street quality again including acid washing the carb. I mean this machine is beautiful. So i am definitely going to get this one.

The 2001 purple\silver is asking 2800 but has some rust.. looks kinda weatherd.. whole upper fairing and front fender has to be replaced.. anyone know the price on something like that?? I might be going to look at another couple tomorrow night\tuesday night.

So now i am down to searching for one bike instead of 2.. my wife found hers. I am off to the bank tomorrow ;-)

·
Registered
981 Posts
id go for the 98. though, u should be able to talk him down on price. i got my 98 with 11k for $2k.

as for it sitting for a few years, its not that hard to fix. flush the tank, pull the carbs and petcock, and just clean everything and ull be good to go.

damn, seems like every1 is getting an ex500 lately. this is like the 4th post in a matter of a few days! go 500's!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 98 actually only has 2800 miles on it.. was hardly ever ridden.. this is the original owner. It is the one that my wife wants so.. It is my civic duty to make sure she stays happy ;-) hey you know what they say " happy wife, happy life" actually i am not sure it completely pertains to us.. we are always happy together .. heheh anyway..

I found a dealer near me that has a 2001 with minor plastic damage for about 2500.. and a 1997 with 11k miles and a small corner of the front fairing on the left hand side (when sitting on the bike) is missing and they are asking 1900 for it.. I am going to go look at one of those tonight or tomorrow and see if one of those will be good.

HHere i am 2 bikes i have looked at for me have been purple 2001's and here I have red and black gear :lol .. oh well who said you have to match

Thanks so much for all the feedback and please keep it coming.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts