Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/5/79880535.htm

Thinking of going check it out and bringing the cash with me just in case. It would be my first street bike, I figure it would feel close to the same as my KDX220? I am wondering how much of a difference between the two. My KDX has full exaust on it boyseen reeds a 180 pounds suspension setup and some michelin pro's... I am pretty shure that the power shouldn't be that big of a difference at all (probally a step down) but I just want to scratch the 250R up in the corners while I learn.

Anyone let me know what you think. And if it would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I would try to talk the guy down on price due to the relatively high number of miles. In many cases though, higher mileage bikes are better taken care of than lower mileage bikes.

As far as comparing it to the 220, I have no idea since I've never rode a 220. I do have a 200 though, aftermarket expansion chamber, reeds, rod, and a brand new top end. Honestly, it is probably a decent comparison, because the 1st time I rode a Ninja 250, the first thing that popped into my mind was that it seemed like a dirtbike with a low seat. High bars, relaxed riding position, etc. Don't know about the 220, but my 200 with pull the front wheel up without the clutch through 3rd gear, and it's geared higher than stock (bad for wheelies). The 250 can't even think of doing that. Honestly, if you lined both bikes up, your 220 would probably smoke the 250 out of the hole so bad it isn't even funny. But, dirtbikes (especially 2 smokes)are made for accleration up to a certain speed, and unless you have some superduper 220 that will go 105, the Ninja will have more top end.

All in all, if you can handle the 220, the 250 should be a breeze.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i would start with something a little b***** than a 250. i started with a 250 and ended up trading it off after 3 weeks because i got tired of it so quick, but now i have my sv650s and i love it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah the 250 is a little gutless. Unless your in 11k-14k rpm going at it full throttle in the first few gears... then it has balls but really small ones.

While it does has enough power to get on the freeway it's not very good at it. It's going to be screaming it's head off at 9krpm in top gear and on windy days it gets blown around a lot. If it's really windy it can knock the 250 in the other lane or off the road....

I say you should get a ex500, sv650, or something b*****.

The 250 has it's quirks but they still are fun though, just not in a straight line.

·
Registered
809 Posts
unless you ride mostly highway stuff, the 250 will be prefect.
a good rider on a 250 will beat almost every squid on a supersport through anything twisty. it will teach you to use the powerband (it'l make you) and handle corners smooth (it'l make you).
and once you get quick on the 250, moving to a real sportbike will make you REAL quick.

no contest.
AND that shit's $3k brand fuckin new. (although I'd recomend getting one that's already broken in).

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not to bash a 250 but that bike is a little small, especialy for some one who has dirtbike experiance. I would look for an EX500 or a FZR or something along those lines. That price seems a bit much for that bike too, I wouldn't pay more then maybe $1200 for something like that, like EXTRAJ said you can buy a new one for like $3k!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If you want to learn how to really ride then I would get a 250 or a 500. The 250 is not gutless or weak. It just screams when you make it go fast. It handles the highway fine. If you want to do wheelies and run down the highway 100+ all the time and be a squid then by all means do not get a 250. That is just the honest truth. If you just want to learn to ride on a bike thats not the fastest in the world, but is lots of fun get a 250. The 250 has a huge loyal following....you can see this at ninja250.net

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
That price is high, I just sold my 2002 Ninja 250 with 6200mi for $2150, brand new paint job, brand new Pirelli Sport Demon tires.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with everyone who says the price is a little high for the mileage. However don't let anyone talk you up to a b***** bike. I started on a Ninja 250 and worked my way up and I am a better rider for it. The advantage you get with a small bike like that is the learning curve. (Another note of interest is the amount of compliments you will get when you can run with the 600 class bikes in the turns, should you learn to ride at that level) You will be able to learn the bikes limits much quicker and perhaps more safely than if you stepped up to even an SV650. Which, by the way would make a great second bike. If you do decide to go a little b*****, the Ninja 500 and Suzuki GS500 are both great starters. Good luck and we hope you are with us a very long time!

And if you are ever gonna be in the mid-cities area, look me up, I'll be glad to ride with you.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I have a ninja 250 and an sv650, and if you've gotten used to ride a bike that's powerful enough to do wheelies (like was previously stated) Then you might not want a 250... the SV would probably be a good choice. The 250 isn't too quick, but it's pretty comfortable (more than my SV) and get's 60+ MPG... so it depends what you're going for. If you've got experience, then you should probably get the SV, if you just want something to ride and don't mind how quick it is, and want to save money, then get the 250.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called the guy today and it was a missprint, only 5,300 miles! he is pretty firm on the 1800 price tag though.. I plan on maybe getting it this weekend or next week. Says everything is like brand new on the bike. What company would have the cheepest insurance? geico said 150 a month! thats wayyy to much for a little 250.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One little problem.. the bike is in spring texas and I live in freeport... no truck at all and the only way is to ride it back..... that mean I have to get through Htown... And that I need to buy at least a helmet before I get the bike.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you want to be a road racer then maybe getting the 250 would make you a better rider since it is very easy to lean over the corners. Though... that's not the best place to do that stuff but I know a lot of you guys on sportbikes do it anyways.

I don't ride my bikes to the max so the only differnece it would make to someone like me is the extra umph and being able to do it without the bike screaming it's head off. The stock pipes sound kinda like a lawnmower :p The bike pulls enough to start pulling you off the bike but only when your at full throttle and the bike is screaming.

It may not be for everyone, but one things for sure it is a fun little bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well they have a track on 2004 off of 288 which is about 30minutes away so I'll be there alot :)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
That doesn't sound too bad on the price if it has low mileage. Buy at least a helmet, gloves, and textile jacket with pads. In Texas State Farm has cheap insurance and so does Dairyland. Depending on your age the 250 can be really expensive. I know full coverage is $1000 plus if your under 24 or so. That should give you an idea. Just call around, because they go off of your info...so everyone's is different. Good Luck.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Freeker said:
One little problem.. the bike is in spring texas and I live in freeport... no truck at all and the only way is to ride it back..... that mean I have to get through Htown... And that I need to buy at least a helmet before I get the bike.

take the www.msf-usa,org class, befoer you do anything, that'll give you a great start into motorcycling.....

·
Registered
809 Posts
jiffy said:
That doesn't sound too bad on the price if it has low mileage. Buy at least a helmet, gloves, and textile jacket with pads. In Texas State Farm has cheap insurance and so does Dairyland. Depending on your age the 250 can be really expensive. I know full coverage is $1000 plus if your under 24 or so. That should give you an idea. Just call around, because they go off of your info...so everyone's is different. Good Luck.
I get full on my 250 for $350 a year.

I have my car and had my VTR insured with them before as well, but state farm wont even take motorcycles without other policies in this state.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts