Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After debating between a countless number of bikes, including an RC51, Aprilia Mille RSV, Husqvarna 510 SMR, Triumph Daytona 600, Honda 919 and of course the Speed Triple, I am now pretty much set on getting the Triple (like I haven't said the before about other bikes). I ruled out the SS bikes because honestly, I am getting sick of being in that riding position. The 'tard was ruled out because it would be too difficult to get it street legal in MA. I took a brief look at the 919 and it's just too ugly.

The Triple appeals to me because of the numerous amounts of improvements made to the new model. I have yet to see one on the street, the riding position is more comfortable and it just looks badass. Peak torque comes in at only 5100 RPMs so it seems like it has more useable power compared to most other bikes.

I was just wondering if anyone has ridden the new '05 and what their impressions were of it. The reliability concerns me a little because as I was browsing the Daytona 600 forums, I noticed those bikes were having some troubles. That's pretty much it. My dealer only has 1 in stock and it's in yellow. I was hoping to get black but if I can't find one, I don't think it will be a big deal. One more thing, the chances of me haggling on the price is pretty slim, right? Seeing as though they only have 1 to sell. I lied, one more thing, I shouldn't expect a test ride either because of the sole model they have on the showroom floor, right?

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I rode one breifly, very smooth! Much better motor than my 595's engine.
I doubt you'll be able to beat anyone down on price, you could try the guys in Swansea MA (not far from you). They had a blue one, the one I orde, but it's gone. They might be getting anouther. I personally like black the best, but that's me.

Triumph of Swansea, 508-675-4125

They also have a flat black 919 there that got traded in (but you've ruled that out already)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just picked mine up two days ago. Here is a write-up of my first 550 miles on it;

Came outside yesterday morning and jumped on it at about 0900. Had 10 miles on the odometer. The first thing I noticed is how much higher it sits compared to the 749 I had. Started it up and it sounds like a mad cricket at idle. Very quiet and subdued. I plan on getting some after market cans when someone makes a set. I would like the stock cans a bit better it I got a more throaty sound at idle and if they came in a carbon fiber finish. No biggie though.

I should mention this first. I break in bikes like I ride them. First 100 miles in pretty tame. I hit the throttle then ease off kind of jerky. I have broken in every bike I have ever owned like this and havent had any problems.

I hit the backroads. Very nice seat. The only problem I have is a slight hump that seems to want to dig into my fuckin taint. I am sure that will get better once the seat gets ridden on more. Good riding position. Very comfortable. Stock suspension settings are a little hard. I was getting launched off the seat with every bump I hit. After a few adjustments bike sat a little lower and the suspension was much smoother on rougher roads.

This bike was made for blasting on country roads. Man the Michelen Powers that come wiht it are fuckin sweet. Very sticky and give loads of confidence. Hit the throttle in a turn or on a straight and hang the fuck on. Once you get above 5 grand and hear that howl from the dual pipes you know its on. Since it is a more standard riding position once you get above 120 your face starts to rip off because of no windscreen. I guess that is what it feels like hitting light speed and being the hood ornament on the Millenium Falcon.

Oh yeah, this is the easiest bike to wheelie I have ever ridden. Its almost a chore to keep the front end down when you peg the throttle. The front end gets very light at around 120 as well.

I headed up to Northern Maryland and cut over into West Virginia to see how it would handle sharper twisties. Handles almost as good as the Duc I had. The steering is very light, which makes for the better handling, IMO. Into the turns it holds a line perfectly. I was going over so far that I could feel the side of my Alpinstar stunts coming close to the deck.

I do miss clip-ons though and will probably change out the bars for clip-ons at the end of the summer. Not saying anything is wrong with the bars, I just prefer clip-ons.

Gas mileage, eh for a 1050cc engine I was getting around 35 miles to the gallon which isnt bad for the type of riding I was doing.

Couple of other things. The license plate bracket and the rear end is going next week. Its too big and makes the ass look cluttered. I am going to see about getting ahold of a wriing diagram to maybe manufacture an integrator for the signals.

To make a long story short its a great all arounder. I rode it though D.C. earlier today and it handled almost like a super-moto. I definitely recommend to anyone to pick one up. But, it isnt a beginners bike. I got mine for $9399.00. Not including tax and tags of course. For what it is that is a bargain IMO.

·
Registered
355 Posts
great post man. i been lookin to get into one , ijust cant decide between that and an rc 51.i guess this is another point for the triple. :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was in the same boat, I thought I would never get another sportbike that wasnt a twin after the last three I had were (Ducati 749, 900, Buell XB9R) but, damn this thing is a blast to ride. I will post picks after I mount the Devil carbon cans I have on order.

·
Registered
90 Posts
bpmull said:
After debating between a countless number of bikes, including an RC51, Aprilia Mille RSV, Husqvarna 510 SMR, Triumph Daytona 600, Honda 919 and of course the Speed Triple, I am now pretty much set on getting the Triple (like I haven't said the before about other bikes). I ruled out the SS bikes because honestly, I am getting sick of being in that riding position. The 'tard was ruled out because it would be too difficult to get it street legal in MA. I took a brief look at the 919 and it's just too ugly.

The Triple appeals to me because of the numerous amounts of improvements made to the new model. I have yet to see one on the street, the riding position is more comfortable and it just looks badass. Peak torque comes in at only 5100 RPMs so it seems like it has more useable power compared to most other bikes.

I was just wondering if anyone has ridden the new '05 and what their impressions were of it. The reliability concerns me a little because as I was browsing the Daytona 600 forums, I noticed those bikes were having some troubles. That's pretty much it. My dealer only has 1 in stock and it's in yellow. I was hoping to get black but if I can't find one, I don't think it will be a big deal. One more thing, the chances of me haggling on the price is pretty slim, right? Seeing as though they only have 1 to sell. I lied, one more thing, I shouldn't expect a test ride either because of the sole model they have on the showroom floor, right?
Don't worry about triumph reliability issues they are (in general) As good or better than most bikes out there. As far as the rest of it goes I think You answered Your own questions.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
mrzedexsixargh said:
The Triple rocks. I wouldn't get off of it if it wasn't for that whole eating & sleeping thing.
sad to think of all the time wasted riding bikes that aren't Triumphs :cheers

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never realized how much a set of aftermarket cans can clean up the tail of a 919. But I'm still not a fan of the banana seat even though they are very comfortable.

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
bpmull said:
But I'm still not a fan of the banana seat even though they are very comfortable.
me either, theres a seat cowl on ebay for 65 bucks I'm debating on getting

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
R6JUNKIE said:
me either, theres a seat cowl on ebay for 65 bucks I'm debating on getting
Definately get it. Then take the grab handle off and post a new picture. I'd like to see one set up that way... maybe it will change my mind about the bike... I know, something that simple to base a purchase on is pretty low, I guess I'm just shallow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts