Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Insurance...I know...it sucks, but I wanted to start getting a comprehensive list of providers and rates and such for reference.

So post up!

Provider: i.e. State Farm, Progressive...
Level of coverage: i.e. Liability Only, Full Coverage (High/Med/Low Liability)...
Cost per year:
Driving Record:
Overall Satisfaction: "Happy", "They're OK", "Not Happy at all"...

You know, that type of thing. Share as much or as little as you'd like, just trying to get a list of references. Include any contact info you may have for your Agent, too, if you'd like. Insurance can vary from Agent to Agent.

As for my Insurance:
State Farm
Full Coverage (High Liability)
$257 per year with $250 Deductible
Couple tickets on record
I'm very happy so far with my service, would definately recommend State Farm.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow you suck, stupid old guys with cheap insurance!

I'm insured in Illinois since I'm an Illinois resident so I probably shouldn't post but I will for comparison

State Farm
Full coverage
~$45/month = $550ish per year with $500 deductibles
One accident on record where I totaled my moms SUV
I'm very happy as well- they let me insure my bike and car down in Illinois even though they know I'm downtown Milwaukee 365 days a year- my car insurance would go up 50% if I went with state farm in WI (I checked already).

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
damnit!

statefarm gsxr1000
full coverage
one ticket
120/mo, 1000 ded.

i'm kinda upset about the rate hike lately.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The best place I found rates at is BWO insurance in Oak Creek they run through 4 or 5 different companys and offer really great service! I have a friend that uses them for his car and bike and his rates for both is cheaper than progressive offered me when I had my R1 and they don't use "fly by night" companys

·
Registered
832 Posts
State Farm Insurance
$11.41 a month ( if you take a second policy out like renters or life they give you a big price break)
$500.00 dec. full coverage clean driving record

VERY VERY HAPPY with them :grinbounc

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm definitly going to be looking around when I get back home. Right now I'm with Geico, and they're charging me $155/mo, registered in Brookfield, and only one accident on record. I asked geico about insurance in WA, since I'm military, and they wanted 300/mo. Anyways keep up all the postings, cause I'm going to need some numbers when I return in the next 2 months!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I can't remember the rate.. '01 Honda f4i I think 480 a year with a 500 deductable with Geico. I have extra coverage added and am fully insured.. I have a clean record.. am happy with them, but they hiked up the rates recently..

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
01gsxrmike said:
I'm definitly going to be looking around when I get back home. Right now I'm with Geico, and they're charging me $155/mo, registered in Brookfield, and only one accident on record. I asked geico about insurance in WA, since I'm military, and they wanted 300/mo. Anyways keep up all the postings, cause I'm going to need some numbers when I return in the next 2 months!!
Being military you should check out USAA.

F**K geico. They drop you if they find out you OWN a radar detector and have multiple times taken premium dollars and bought radar/lidar gear and donated it to the police.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Provider: State Farm
Level of coverage: Full Coverage $250 Deductible on both bikes
Cost per year: GSXR 750: $330 / year ZX10R: $476 / year
Driving Record: Haven't had a traffic ticket on my record in six years
Overall Satisfaction: I've been very happy with State Farm. Haven't had any problems with them yet.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Provider: GEICO
Level of coverage: Full Coverage (High Liability) - $300K/$300K BI and $50K PD
Cost per year: $283
Driving Record: Two speeding tickets (in car)
Overall Satisfaction: Just switched to them this year. Haven't made any claims yet, so nothing really to comment on. I will say that it took them three tries to finally get my policy right.

I see quite a few of you guys have State Farm. I gave the person who answered the phone my info, and she was supposed to give me a call back with a quote. I'm still waiting to hear back from her, and it has been over three weeks... I'm not holding my breath for a call back.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Teej said:
F**K geico. They drop you if they find out you OWN a radar detector and have multiple times taken premium dollars and bought radar/lidar gear and donated it to the police.
How would they find out if you had a radar detector? Also, last time I checked, speeding was against the law, so why would donating equipment to the police to help enforce the law be bad?

By the way, before you get all mad at me, I freely admit that I speed. I've been pulled over numerous times and even currently have a couple tickets on my record. Am I mad that I got caught? You bet. But I also realize that I break the law when I speed and know the consequences of getting caught.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Progressive
Full coverage
OK record - a couple tickets, accidents that weren't my fault, "imprudent speeding"
$50/mo

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a terrible driving record, as far as legality is concerned. I have an addiction to speed ("Hi. My name is Pete. I'm a carving/speed junkie"). I should have been cancelled a year ago. In fact, I couldn't get insurance when I lived in Cali--kinda forced me to come back, too.

I'm with SF and pay about $1k per year for my car (liability), motorcycle (full), and renter's ins all together. (High limits 150/300? and 500 deductible). SF has some investment money of mine, too.

1 claim for my motorcycle (no fault). 1 claim in a car (no fault). About 7 speeding tickets in the past 7 years. (I've REALLY toned down since last September, when I managed to "earn" my last of 3 tickets in 3 months).

State farm looks at you in the big picture. They also want as much diversity (multiple lines) as possible.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Provider: American Family
Coverage: Libility only (High Risk, being only 19)
Cost: 87.60 per year
Record: Rolling a stop 2 yrs ago in my car, and a recent speeder for goin 26 over, they haven't found out yet!

It's really cheap for me because 1) my bike is really old 2) my parents have coverage on 4 cars through them 3) all of our other insurance is through them

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
sjlee said:
How would they find out if you had a radar detector? Also, last time I checked, speeding was against the law, so why would donating equipment to the police to help enforce the law be bad?
1. If they ask you and you say yes...forget it.
2. If they ask you and you say 'no'...and they later find out you have one, you get dropped for falsifying information.
3. If you get pulled over and the cop notes on the ticket that you have one, and the insurance subsequently gets a copy of the ticket, you're dropped.
4. If your car gets broken into and your nice $400V1 that your forgot to take with you gets lifted...bam.

Am I mad that I got caught? You bet. But I also realize that I break the law when I speed and know the consequences of getting caught.
I don't have a problem when speed limits are enforced for valid safety reasons. I have a problem where speed limits are enforced solely for revenue (tax) generation...and there's plenty of those. I also have a problem with a self-serving company such as Geico turning over the tools of speed enforcement so they can reap the benefits by charging higher premiums to someone who's been busted for speeding.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Teej said:
1. If they ask you and you say yes...forget it.
2. If they ask you and you say 'no'...and they later find out you have one, you get dropped for falsifying information.
3. If you get pulled over and the cop notes on the ticket that you have one, and the insurance subsequently gets a copy of the ticket, you're dropped.
4. If your car gets broken into and your nice $400V1 that your forgot to take with you gets lifted...bam.

I don't have a problem when speed limits are enforced for valid safety reasons. I have a problem where speed limits are enforced solely for revenue (tax) generation...and there's plenty of those. I also have a problem with a self-serving company such as Geico turning over the tools of speed enforcement so they can reap the benefits by charging higher premiums to someone who's been busted for speeding.
Well, I don't have GEICO as my car insurance, so the whole radar detector thing doesn't really affect me. I have cheaper insurance for my car with another company (American Family).

I guess I don't see how you can draw the line between safety reasons and revenue generation. Exceeding the speed limit is breaking the law, and the consequences of getting caught is a fine (or worse). If you speed, you should be prepared to get caught and deal with the consequences.

Also, all insurance companies are self-serving. They are businesses out to make a profit. Speeders are considered more dangerous drivers (I'm just making a statement, not saying that it's necessarily true). Thus, the insurance companies charge higher premiums because according to their stats, speeders are more likely to get into accidents, which in turn costs them money because they have to pay out settlements.

·
Jerk
990 Posts
One ticket (14 over on 94) in 2001, one warning for 12 over in IL near O'Hare on 294 in April 04.

For car and renters I have state farm. costs me about $600 a year for my parents 2 cars, and mine (and i'm not even primary, my dad is on all of them) renters is 78 a year.

I have Progressive now. For my GS500E they were 38 a month for barebones insurance. The credit union that financed a chunk of my R6 wants me to have full coverage until I pay it off (Nov. or Dec. hopefully). Progressive wants $8000 a year for me for that. My current policy expries last day in August, and i am shopping around for a new one. They insured the R6 from day I bought it until my policy expires with libality for $300. Most of my quotes so far have been $3000-$5000 a year for full coverage on the R6. I'm looking into www.bike-line.com and State Farm now. I plan on joining the AMA and taking my MSF in early August to see if that helps cut costs.

Tom.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts