Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, so it turns out the local dealer is out of Wee-stroms, so a FZ-6 is moving to the top of the list. ("Suzuki owes us a couple, could be a few weeks")

I got myself a real bad case of "Analysis Paralysis" at the moment. :comp :dunno

I need a third choice. Maybe see if I can find a 2006 Honda CBF600F4i

·
Banned
2,576 Posts
hey man it's destiny....the signs are there, you're just not listening.....

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I can see opting for an FZ6 rather than the Vstrom, but the Honda is a completely different choice. You have to ask yourself what type of riding will you be doing a majority of the time. The Honda is a pure sportbike. The FZ6 and the Vstrom angle towards sporttouring. I think the FZ6 covers both bases well. Before you make your choice sit on both bikes and get the feel for them, you may find that one bike will fit you much better than another.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I didn't like the vibrations of the Vstrom 650 that I rode. It had nice low end grunt, but I prefer that inline 4 smoothness and high revving power. I guess it depends on whether you want your power down low or up high.

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
Just get a Vespa and be done with it.

:edit I shoulda used one of these: :joke

·
Registered
686 Posts
What kind of riding are you looking to do? You have three different types of bikes there.

V-Strom: "Adventure" Touring. Light dirt, mostly road going.
FZ6: Sporty standard. You can find plenty of uses around this board.
F4i: Sporty bike. More aggressive position, maybe less comfort in the long haul (in stock form).

Seriously, if you were looking to get the Strom, don't settle for second (on his list, guys!).

Just being a devil's advocate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tomowskifz6 said:
...I prefer that inline 4 smoothness and high revving power.
I was riding my bicycle today, and what pulls up at the stoplight next to me but a new FZ6, with dealer tags and all.

The guy revved it a couple of times, and I just fell in love with that sound. This might not come across right, but it sounded like a sewing machine, albeit a high-tech, high-power sewing machine. For some reason the smoothness of that sound just got my heart going.

I'd never heard an FZ6 running before, but that sound could really grow on me.

The guy took off from the light and it seemed like he was in first gear up to about 15 or 20 mph, but he wasn't really gunning it or anything. He missed his shift to second, but what the hell, it's a new bike, and he looked like a fairly new rider, what with a shiny helmet and jacket.

My overall impression of the FZ6 sound was much different than what I expected. I expected the roar and grunt I usually hear from sportbikes, but what I got was smooth power that really hummed some kind of beautiful way.

Sorry for the off-topic spiel, but I thought I'd add my impressions...

Tom

·
Registered
109 Posts
inline 4 is a rather balanced design, not AS balanced as the perfect inline 6(its the only perfectly balance engine AFAIK; other than a 12cyl which is just 2 inline 6's)

its far more balanced than any vtwin. but I think the downside is low end torque. I have heard the 650 is supposed to have more grunt. I cant imagine needing more grunt, I twisted the smile grip today for the first time in 2nd, and I was at 60 before I knew it, and I didnt twist it more than 3/4ths either. Im used to a 14sec sports car, this was something else. put a little fear into me.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i think you've had a close shave there missin out on the v-strom, proper naff bike! they rot aswell! my FZ6 has seen two winters and done over 20k, riden every day and its still nice and shiny! the FZ6 is a very robust bike, build quality is great. its a shame thats one of the things that the journo's dont take into consideration so much when testing these machines, else the FZ6 might get better reviews. all they're interested in is performance, not that the FZ6 is lacking in that department, quite the contrary........

·
Batteries not included
132 Posts
The FZ6 has become your first choice simply because your local dealer is currently out of Vstrom's?? Not a very compelling reason to move down the list. Perhaps you need to rethink what it is you really want...

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
bauerbach said:
inline 4 is a rather balanced design, not AS balanced as the perfect inline 6(its the only perfectly balance engine AFAIK; other than a 12cyl which is just 2 inline 6's)
The only perfectly balanced engine is a V12. An inline 6 while smooth is not perfect. A V12 is harmonically balanced and smooth as silk.

its far more balanced than any vtwin.

There are come very smooth V twins out there. Ducati and Aprilia are two that come to mind...

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
late2theparty said:
The FZ6 has become your first choice simply because your local dealer is currently out of Vstrom's?? Not a very compelling reason to move down the list. Perhaps you need to rethink what it is you really want...
Well if you have to have a bike THIS week, then maybe your second choice becomes your first... This is also known as IMPULSE buying. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
rennsport said:
The only perfectly balanced engine is a V12. An inline 6 while smooth is not perfect. A V12 is harmonically balanced and smooth as silk.

There are come very smooth V twins out there. Ducati and Aprilia are two that come to mind...

thats not how I heard it, but it is just what I read, so its possible I was misinformed.

Im not saying a Vtwin or any other engine is unbalanced, well I am... but they are very very doable none the less.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
i was going to get a ninja 650 but when they didnt have the 06 colors anymore, i went with the fz6. tomato red or sky blue didnt do anything for me. i have no regrets after riding it for months now. im very glad i got this instead of the ninja.

·
R6S Crash Cushion
1,392 Posts
If you're willing to make the 45-60 minute drive out to Pasadena, I'll let you test ride my 05...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
late2theparty said:
There is no perfect bike. Nor will there ever be.
There is always a sliding scale on good vs bad in various areas.
Fast vs fast enough
Comfortable vs comfortable enough
Good handling vs good enough handling
There is also not "One Thing" that i really want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rennsport said:
Well if you have to have a bike THIS week, then maybe your second choice becomes your first... This is also known as IMPULSE buying. :)
I don't buy things on impulse. I've spend 6 months looking for binoculars.
Years looking for amplifiers and speakers.

I don't need a bike THIS WEEK. I don't NEED a bike.
Hell, if I wanted to, i could buy the FZ6 AND the V-Strom AND a R1200GS.
(Wife acceptance aside)
I've been looking to get something for years, I can wait a few weeks.

·
Batteries not included
132 Posts
knut_the_viking said:
There is no perfect bike. Nor will there ever be.
There is always a sliding scale on good vs bad in various areas.
Fast vs fast enough
Comfortable vs comfortable enough
Good handling vs good enough handling
There is also not "One Thing" that i really want.
I don't disagree with any of that. However, the title of your post indicates that your first choice was a V-Strom until your local dealer was temporarily out of them, so now your first choice is a FZ6. If all the bikes on your list are equal in your complex matrix rating system, then by all means buy whichever one you can get your hands on.

My point, put another way, is that if you can't even articulate a preference on the subject, why bother buying a bike at all?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts