Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dunlop has $50 rebates March and April

Bridgestone has $40 rebates through March

Lloyd's has awesome spring deals on services and tires (rivaling most any online price)
Riverszzr.webs.com

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Valve Adjustment Valve Clearances

People often ask me why I need some 13,000+ valve shims on hand and so many of each size.

Well, I just got done doing the second bike in a row with shims in the same range (both Kawasaki's) and if you look at the attached picture you can see how 14 of the needed shims are all 2.925mm

Well I had 23 of them on hand before the first bike which required 12 - 2.925 and now this bike needed 14 of them. Well last I counted 12 + 14 is more than 23, so I ordered another couple hundred dollars of them and this bike can go together with the proper adjustments made. Yes being picky and having one desired clearance number is that important!

Now for many, you simply do not care and will seek out anyone to give you the easy answer; that they are fine, no need to check/adjust them etc.......
For those people, this thread clearly is not for you !! Move along and keep your head buried in the sand!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a short follow up, since I was asked why it matters? How will I notice?

In a nutshell; balance, performance and longevity. lets just assume for a second that with perfect machining practices and a zero tolerance level of assembly your 120hp machine is getting that 120hp equally from each cylinder. It would run very smoothly, produce power equally from each cylinder, every power pulse would be exactly the same so acceleration/deceleration forces would be identical; ie the depicted pic it would be 30hp per cylinder. If the balance is thrown off by having some of the valves at the bottom of clearance, some in the middle and some at the top (but all within the clearance spec as allowed by all manufacturers) you could end up with a distribution of say; 31,28,29,28.... Now if you could measure crank harmonics and acceleration/deceleration pulses, heat generation, efficiency and tons of other data it would show an engine that will wear out sooner, produce less overall power and not run as smoothly. Cam timing will be slightly changed, valve lift slightly changed, combustion efficiency slightly changed, it also effects throttle body sync and exhuast scavenging pulses... Now we all know there are tolerances and it is highly unlikely your 120hp engine is so balanced, as each individual part has a tolerance at the manufacturer, each combustion chamber may be slightly different in overall size and more.... But those you nor I can control without pulling the engine apart and going through great efforts to make everything perfectly sized and balanced.... But-- Don't you suppose it makes a big difference to keep those assembly differences to a minimum and not add to the problem by not doing what is possible and easy when one is already in doing the valve adjustment?--This is one performance improvement that costs you nothing extra, just requires a little more effort than "close enough" when doing the valve adjustment service.That is the condensed version; in a nutshell because this discussion could really go on and into much more technical science of how the engine works which would be hard to articulate effectively without diagrams, actual demonstrations and hands on with some engines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts