Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I bought a bottle of water wetter and I got the fairing off. Is there a drain plug I should be looking for?

How do I drain out the coolant?

....once I drain out the coolant, I fill it through the radiator...correct?
I know I use a capfull of water wetter for each quart of distilled water. Do I fill it to the same level as the coolant would be at?

BTW- After taking the fairing off, I was looking at the coolant overflow tank and it was loose, the bolt was barely on it...good thing I checked....few more rides and it looks like it would have came completely undone.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
you should take the radiator hose off at the water pump so it will drain the motor cuz most of the coolant will be in there if you don't, then fill it with water and drain it agian so you will get all the coolant out, then put the whole bottle of water wetter in and fill it up with water,

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, great....thanks! So I use the whole bottle of water wetter? The instructions say about a capful per quart of water.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Sorry I'm no help but I'm waiting for answers too. Another thread a member told me to still use about 20% coolant so the water doesn't boil- which makes sense since my coolant temperatures exceed 212F frequently in the summer. You don't want boiling water in your system. I am going to follow his advice and still use about 20-25% antifreeze.

·
Registered
92 Posts
thats if you are still using coolant you are not going to, so you need it to keep everything lubed up and protect it from corroding

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
YammyR1 said:
Sorry I'm no help but I'm waiting for answers too. Another thread a member told me to still use about 20% coolant so the water doesn't boil- which makes sense since my coolant temperatures exceed 212F frequently in the summer. You don't want boiling water in your system. I am going to follow his advice and still use about 20-25% antifreeze.
You're not going to be the most popular fellow at the track if you crash and leave that on the ground.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
This is true. I was referring more for street use.

·
Registered
92 Posts
YammyR1 said:
water will not boil at 212 degrees in a cooling system because the rad..cap hold pressure and at pressure water wont boil till 250 degrees

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Why not run just 50/50 like you're supposed to for the street? Does the Water Wetter do anything better than coolant? I just put it in because it's track legal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
water wetter is a better heat transferring agent then water or coolant it breaks up the surface tension so more of the water is in contact with the motor and radiator you should go to the redline web site it has a video that explains everything

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
are you required by the track org. to change out your fluids?

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! I'll check it out.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
COOL, just checking.......never changed A/F in either my bikes, the track orgs i goto don't require it......

***a suggestion....... recommend you do the trackday w/o the side fairings......

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Most tracks will not allow any etholyene (sp?) glycol based coolants. Not sure what the temperature is there, but here it gets pretty hot, and distilled water has never failed me.

Water wetter is good, but not nessesary.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's cool, wish that was the case with this org. too. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but I could see why it would be a good idea to do it.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It's a great idea because it will completely ruin a track day when somebody spills that shit on the racing line. It's not that hard to crack a radiator.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I'm so glad my Katana is oil cooled, no need to replace the coolant!!!

I barely have any time nor money left by now after I've bought all my gear (was missing boots and riding pants), new tyres, synth. fork oil, bla, bla and more bla.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
I'm so glad my Katana is oil cooled, no need to replace the coolant!!!

I barely have any time nor money left by now after I've bought all my gear (was missing boots and riding pants), new tyres, synth. fork oil, bla, bla and more bla.
yeah too bad its a katana...otherwise that would be rreally cool.

jk man :eek:nfloor

1 - 20 of 22 Posts