Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone, a buddy of mine is selling his 2001 yzf600r I haven't done much riding in the motorcycle realm so i didn't know if this would be a wise choice or not. Any input would be appreciated very much.

Thanks

TNG

·
Registered
183 Posts
600r yamaha

I have a 2003 and they haven't changed them since 97. I love mine and it has more than enough power for the street. The seat is very comfy in my opinion, but I don't think that it looks as sporty as the 2 peice seat. I can get around 48mpg as well. It's heavier than all the new soprt bikes but I use it to commute and have fun on. If you haven't had any experience on a sport bike don't under estimate the power of this one. I think that it's a very proven sport bike for the street. Take your msf course and be very careful on any bike you choose. The very least thing that you can do is buy all the gear you need as well. Hope this helps you.

Attachments

·
Midmo Ridaz
10 Posts
I have a 2002 and like the other post says they are a very good bike. i have never had a problem with mine the seat is very comfy and its a lot more compfy for the passenger too. it has plenty of speed for a beginner. once you get use to it you can always get a new sprocket for it. i just recently got a new sprocket for mine and it has a lot more acceleration. the bike is pretty quick ive gotten mine up to about 154. like it was posted in the other post just go slow and get all the gear. i know that most people say oh i dont need gear but trust me it could save ur life. as far as compairing it to like an r6 they go about the same pace my buddy has a 2003 r6 and we have raced and its not that much slower... maybe a tire length. i think it is more compfy. the only downsides to it would be that it is heavier but unless u are gonna be doing stunts it really doesnt matter, and it is carburated where the 2003+ r6's are FI. if u dont mind that then its no biggie. i crank up the choke on mine and let it idol for a bit to get warmed up. FYI... if u wind up getting this bike... NEVER rev the engine when it is trying to warm up like if u havnt ridin it that day and u are using the choke by reving it up while u are doing that u can really hurt the motor. over time. hope this helps ur decision

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 02 600r, which was my first bike. I have put 4000 miles on it, and love it! IMO, this is a great bike for the value. It is more "streetable" than the R6's and Gixxer's. You can ride for hours w/o going numb from the butt down. Definately recommend for a great all around bike.

·
Registered
194 Posts
+3. That was my first bike. A 98 yzf600r. Great fun.. kept up with all the F3s and gixxers600 and R6 with no problem. Everyone was shocked. They thought it was a snail... NOT!!!!!!! :urowned

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I have rode before I got mine so I don't know how bad or good it would be. But they are still a sport bike so be care full. I did so gear work and will crush most new 600ss. so it is very cappable.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I love my 600R and had it since 3500 miles (it's got about 15k now). Dont let the spec sheet herd fool you- on the street I never lose ground to anyone on the latest SS bike, or even liter bikes. It'll handle any corner you can throw at it and will do any stunt you care to attempt.
But what it has that makes it WAY better thaqn an SS bike is the comfort to actually ride it past the city limits. I frequently spend an entire day riding. I'll blast the mountain twisties all morning, then meet up with the 'townies' that think riding is done 5 miles at a time, mostly on one wheel.
With a lower price tag, lower insurance costs, and all the performance you want to dare on the real streets of America, I'd take my 600R over any SS 600. That's why I still own mine rather than 'trade up' to a repli-racer 600. I've ridden all but the RR version of the kawi and I don't see much difference in performance except at the very limit, where you wont spend much time anyway.
My only wish is for EFI.
Also, the 600R has a smaller aftermarket, so some choices are limited, but you can certainly find anything you want for it if you look.
My .02 is that it's a far better stret bike than any 600SS ride. And the difference in performance is easily made up for IN THE RIDER!!!
Ride well and you'll be leaving liter bikes behind when the going gets fast. Remember, 90% of going fast is between your ears, not between your legs......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts