Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks, Anyone still ride these bikes?

I recently found a bikemaster lithium battery that is somewhat affordable. I have always been scared to run lithium but it seems bikemaster has managed to incorporate a decent battery management system into the battery.

I purchased this one, have yet to install it. Amazon.com: BikeMaster DLFP-9-BS Lithium-Ion Battery - Black - One Size: Automotive

65$ For a premium lithium battery that is steal

They still recommend a lithium battery charger but its not for the reasons you might think. The battery's integrated BMS, battery management system will actually balance the batterys properly no matter what type of charger you use without risk of overcharge. The problem with non lithium automotive battery chargers is they do not actually produce enough voltage to charge this particular lithium setup which requires 13.5-14.5v to charge effectively according to bikemaster.

According to bikemaster this is also why modern bikes can charge this battery with no problems because our bikes produce the required minimum voltage to charge effectively. This is all dependent on the BMS, some cheaper knock offs don't have BMS built in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hopefully you have good results with the bike master you purchased.
I personally would not experiment with a lithium battery that was not tried and tested for many years first. Way to many issues experienced by many with cheaper lithium batteries.
Here is a great article by a very knowledgeable and trusted source, although the info is dated now by a few years you get the jist

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am right there with ya, i have always been scared of it for good reason. This particular bike master lithium battery has been out several years now and havnt found a negative comment about it except the occasional person who failed to tend his battery properly. Lithium wont recover from a complete discharge as well as lead acid but lithium doesn't discharge nearly as fast. These batterys are usually priced so high you couldnt even consider it, 150$+. So the 65$ price hit home with me.

I will just have to be mindful of storing it in direct sunlight for extended periods. I fly drones and have many lithium batterys, some of questionable origin. No fires or explosions, The key is a good BMS and according to bike master they have a BMS that is capable of charging past dead cells and cheaper BMS will create a block if there is a dead or weak cell in the pack.

Shipped out today for me, If i can get this thing to last 6 years it will blow my freakin mind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Keep us updated on your experience with the battery please.
My stock battery is 5 years old so I'm sure I'll be due for a new one in short order.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just Hooked the battery up today.

Couple small issues, I had to reroute some cables because the terminals were directional and in the wrong direction lol. Still got it all sinched up, I installed the quick connect for the lithium tender i purchased. The charger came with the quick connect cables, made sure everything was tight. A loose connection has worse outcomes for lithium batterys over lead acid. I had a slight problem threading the nut with the added connectors on the battery terminals, so i added a paper spacer under the nut just so i could get it to thread the bolt in the terminal.

I plugged in the charger and it ran the charge cycle for a few seconds and reported back charged, This charger has an automatic Tender function when not charging. You could just unplug the negative cable on the battery for storage and not have to worry about a tender. I decided to stay on the safe side because of the low recovery rate of a discharged lithium battery, So i will be using the Tender when i don't ride.

I havnt started the bike yet, It was late and i didnt want to anger the neighbors. Soooooon very soon.
Pics soon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Started the bike, was hot..... still in the hot sun, If the battery doesnt have a meltdown while i let the bike breathe<before i put it in garage> then i guess it passes the heat test.

When i say start I actually warmed it up really good because it sat too long and had a rough idle. A very good way to clean up deposits in the system, My neighbors hate it though. If i have any hesitation in my throttle range something is wrong, Owned this bike seems like forever now and still sounds great That Yoshi exhaust really pairs well with the stock carbs and after i warmed her up there is zero hesitation when i snap the throttle through the entire rpm range.

If it wasnt so hot in the garage i would have took more pictures, A/C i installed takes a couple hours to cool effectively and I didnt have the patience. :-D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey folks, Anyone still ride these bikes?

I recently found a bikemaster lithium battery that is somewhat affordable. I have always been scared to run lithium but it seems bikemaster has managed to incorporate a decent battery management system into the battery.

I purchased this one, have yet to install it. Amazon.com: BikeMaster DLFP-9-BS Lithium-Ion Battery - Black - One Size: Automotive

65$ For a premium lithium battery that is steal

They still recommend a lithium battery charger but its not for the reasons you might think. The battery's integrated BMS, battery management system will actually balance the batterys properly no matter what type of charger you use without risk of overcharge. The problem with non lithium automotive battery chargers is they do not actually produce enough voltage to charge this particular lithium setup which requires 13.5-14.5v to charge effectively according to bikemaster.

According to bikemaster this is also why modern bikes can charge this battery with no problems because our bikes produce the required minimum voltage to charge effectively. This is all dependent on the BMS, some cheaper knock offs don't have BMS built in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First off, this is not a "premium battery" by any standards; who told you so, needs to go back to training. This battery weights-in at almost the weight of a standard battery at 6lb and I perosnally don't see a reason for anyone to get the cheapest crap some vendors want to get rid of... You need to understand that not all Li Ion batteries are identical and there is a reason prices differ. I wold as well disregard the reply with the article which is deterrent to this technology; it's most likely written by someone tired of testing new stuff. When I do a reply here, I will only do it whit 100% certainty that it's something I personally experienced. I will never endorse a company or brand and I will always leave it to the person to decide for him/her or itself what to buy...
My PERSONAL experience with Li Ion batteries on motorcycles is a very positive one. It's the cheapest way to shave-off some weight without making ANY compromise; this being said, a 6lb battery does not qualify, regardless of the price-tag. I got about 6k miles back a Li Ion battery on my MV and it treats me extremely well; never ever did I have the slightest issue, never ever did it not turn or give me any other sort of headaches. This is Real and you please take a look at the photos. Anything else does not matter. The battery on my bike weights 2.13lb, while the standard one was 9.5lb... Have a good one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts