Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a battery replacement and a buddy told me about these. Pretty sweet and all, but more than twice the price, and I'm not racing, so the only real benefit to me is some extra space under the seat and supposedly they crank better and for longer?

Their FAQ contains 1 question, the answer to which is in Latin, the google translation of which was entertaining, but not informative.

What do ya'll think? Anybody used one?

Full Spectrum Batteries | Lightweight Batteries | Full Spectrum Power |

·
Registered
300 Posts
The problem with lead acid batteries? They last about three years and can hold a charge for a month or less. Lithium? About ten. And that's how long a charge will last too.

Seems like the real problem with lithium batteries is that they may last longer than most bikes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think I can use a standard battery tender or charger, or do I have to buy their $50 one for winter?

Edit: or do I need one at all - you seem to think the charge will last the life of the battery? Their website suggests a charger might be needed for leaving the bike alone a couple weeks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've got one for sale... FYI. They work great! Just DO NOT use a normal trickle charger on them!

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Never understood the need for lightweight batteries just for a pound or two. Ive never had a battery go bad on a car truck or motorcycle either without serious years either but then again I drive each vehicle I have once wvery two weeks minimum. Ive heard nothing positive from battery tender users...some things work in theory only.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never understood the need for lightweight batteries just for a pound or two. Ive never had a battery go bad on a car truck or motorcycle either without serious years either but then again I drive each vehicle I have once wvery two weeks minimum. Ive heard nothing positive from battery tender users...some things work in theory only.
Previous owner rarely rode the bike so the battery isn't holding charge. The tender is keeping me riding, well worth 15 bucks, especially in the middle of this 1000 mile road trip.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
The problem with lead acid batteries? They last about three years and can hold a charge for a month or less. Lithium? About ten. And that's how long a charge will last too.

Seems like the real problem with lithium batteries is that they may last longer than most bikes.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the lead acid battery thing. I just replaced the OEM lead acid battery in my 2006 ZZR600 this past January. The bike was produced in June of 2005, That's seven plus years of use out of the OEM lead acid battery. I'm the only owner, bought it new it October of 2005. Replaced it with a KAWASAKI ZZR600 (2005-2008) - 600CC - KAWASAKI - Motorcycle Batteries

The OEM battery was actually still good when I replaced it with the new one. I replaced it for peace of mind due to its age.

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
My main issue with lithium batteries is that I have no major issue with lead acid to justify the extra cost. Also lithium batteries still have the rare tendency to catch on fire. Since I store my bike is my basement garage, I don't want to risk that. I also hear they don't work as well in cold weather.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rocket,

Thoughts on your new battery? Compared to stock? Ive seen a couple for $55

·
Registered
215 Posts
I bought a Ballistic EVO 2 battery a couple years ago and it hasn't missed a beat;a Datel volt meter was added to keep tabs on it for any problems but there has not been any. Light weight and works as it is supposed to...what more could you ask for. I used two different colored titanium bolts for posts.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Previous owner rarely rode the bike so the battery isn't holding charge. The tender is keeping me riding, well worth 15 bucks, especially in the middle of this 1000 mile road trip.
You're on that same battery? Big mistake, even if you make it. A weak battery will always be weak...at best.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Are you on drugs? Battery tenders for lead acid batteries are a damn godsend. Why not think before speaking for once?

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I know scientifically in great detail how it works. In practice, almost always, it kills the life of the battery. Sometimes theories work in real life, sometimes a science isnt complete and arrogant humans just dont know it yet.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
If anyone is wondering how I got 7 plus years use out of the OEM battery in my 2006 ZZR600. The battery was always plugged into a battery tender year round when the bike wasn't being ridden. Last winter when I put in the new battery I took the old one to my local auto parts store and had them test it. The guy told me the battery was still good to go. But as I said in an earlier post I changed the battery for peace of mind, due to its age. Typically I could be running three accessories at once, GPS, radar detector, and in the cold months my heated vest, all at once. This is why I decided to go with the MotoBatt MBTX9U sealed lead acid AGM battery. The standard OEM YTX9BS battery had 8 Ah and only a 120 CCA(cold cranking amps), and the new MotoBatt MBTX9U battery that I purchased is rated at 10.5 Ah and has 160 CCA. Haven't had any issues with the battery and it works well the battery tender.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I'm about due for a new battery, and I had considered lithium. However, what really made me reconsider is its cold weather performance. If the temps are low (like below freezing), they often won't be able to crank the engine right away. The lights have to be left on for a minute or two and then after discharging a bit, then it will crank an engine. This isn't personal experience, but that's been reported by several users on advrider.

That's a deal breaker for me, since I'm a commuter year round.

I know scientifically in great detail how it works. In practice, almost always, it kills the life of the battery. Sometimes theories work in real life, sometimes a science isnt complete and arrogant humans just dont know it yet.
Huh?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have routinely gotten 10+ years out of batteries (oe original) in my motorcycles. My last bike the battery was original from 1989 and I just replaced it in Sept 2011 (1989 250 ninja that was only used for racing and as such was rarely run and only went on a real charger once or twice each year)
Bike before that 1988 Ninja 600, oe original battery til 2004 or 2005, over 225,000 miles on that at the time....I sold that bike in 2008 when I bought the ZZR and had replaced the replacement battery once in those 3 or 4 years...so olny a couple years life out that first replacement after getting about 17 years from the original.
My current bike was produced in june 2006, I didn't buy it til July 2008 (yeah they come with the battery filled and ready, just not hooked up-I got it in the crate) So it is 7 years old now (actually probably older since Kawi doesn't make the battery and they need to have them produced and shipped to them etc)and holds 12.8v standing charge for weeks without use (I have actually never seen it less than 12.5v after 3 months of sitting for the winter)
I never use a battery tender, and only charge it once in the winter/spring when it sits for a couple months on a regular 4amp diminishing rate charger for about 30-60 minutes. I have 68000 miles on the bike in just under 5 years of riding it and pretty much only ride it on Sundays.

I don't think much of battery tenders or any of those "maintenance" chargers, but I know alot of people who think they are the cats meow. If a battery needs charging, well it needs charging-sometimes a hard short charge is far better for the battery than some constant forever trickle...Just my experience
I see many users of battery tenders buying new batteries every year or two, but I also see people who don't use any charger buying a new battery every year or two. I am simply not sold that they save or prolong your batteries life, and I can't imagine how having one run day in and day out can be good for the battery either...but Jay got good life out of his battery using one, but then again I did too without using one....lol

So field study seeing more than 300 customers a year and maybe 50 battery replacements a year comes up inconclusive at best.

I will say modern bikes with more electronic draws ~even while the bike is off~do seem to go through batteries faster, but modern sealed batteries last far longer than the old vented battery that people undermaintained and/or regularly over charged

So what does any of this 'prove", not a damn thing. Just like tires, chains/sprockets, brake pads or any other consumable, some people get more life out of their stuff than others, and some people will swear one product works great while others think its junk.

Buy a battery when it goes bad buy a new one.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
All im trying to say is I know many people personally offine who have used battery tenders on good batteries and had the batteries fail. It doesn't make sense to me because I fully understand the science behind it (I used to troubleshoot electrical equipment for a living)but I wpuldnt recommend one at all.

Its just too easy to start a bike up anyways and get all the parts moving and working.

Not all tenders are the same. Im not going to elaborate but if youre leaving a battery on one for many weeks or months, its not the same as rwcharging a rwchargable battery and you better hope your tender is engineered to know the difference.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If anyone is wondering how I got 7 plus years use out of the OEM battery in my 2006 ZZR600. The battery was always plugged into a battery tender year round when the bike wasn't being ridden. Last winter when I put in the new battery I took the old one to my local auto parts store and had them test it. The guy told me the battery was still good to go. But as I said in an earlier post I changed the battery for peace of mind, due to its age. Typically I could be running three accessories at once, GPS, radar detector, and in the cold months my heated vest, all at once. This is why I decided to go with the MotoBatt MBTX9U sealed lead acid AGM battery. The standard OEM YTX9BS battery had 8 Ah and only a 120 CCA(cold cranking amps), and the new MotoBatt MBTX9U battery that I purchased is rated at 10.5 Ah and has 160 CCA. Haven't had any issues with the battery and it works well the battery tender.
Well yeah, because you aren't using your battery! Start actually using the battery and put discharge cycles on it. A new virgin lead battery will hold 80% of its charge at rest for a year. A lead acid battery can last 15 years, but average about 3 in the average sportbike in the real world. Several years of messing with that battery tender saved you a dollar a month?

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I have routinely gotten 10+ years out of batteries (oe original) in my motorcycles. My last bike the battery was original from 1989 and I just replaced it in Sept 2011 (1989 250 ninja that was only used for racing and as such was rarely run and only went on a real charger once or twice each year)
Bike before that 1988 Ninja 600, oe original battery til 2004 or 2005, over 225,000 miles on that at the time....I sold that bike in 2008 when I bought the ZZR and had replaced the replacement battery once in those 3 or 4 years...so olny a couple years life out that first replacement after getting about 17 years from the original.
My current bike was produced in june 2006, I didn't buy it til July 2008 (yeah they come with the battery filled and ready, just not hooked up-I got it in the crate) So it is 7 years old now (actually probably older since Kawi doesn't make the battery and they need to have them produced and shipped to them etc)and holds 12.8v standing charge for weeks without use (I have actually never seen it less than 12.5v after 3 months of sitting for the winter)
I never use a battery tender, and only charge it once in the winter/spring when it sits for a couple months on a regular 4amp diminishing rate charger for about 30-60 minutes. I have 68000 miles on the bike in just under 5 years of riding it and pretty much only ride it on Sundays.

I don't think much of battery tenders or any of those "maintenance" chargers, but I know alot of people who think they are the cats meow. If a battery needs charging, well it needs charging-sometimes a hard short charge is far better for the battery than some constant forever trickle...Just my experience
I see many users of battery tenders buying new batteries every year or two, but I also see people who don't use any charger buying a new battery every year or two. I am simply not sold that they save or prolong your batteries life, and I can't imagine how having one run day in and day out can be good for the battery either...but Jay got good life out of his battery using one, but then again I did too without using one....lol

So field study seeing more than 300 customers a year and maybe 50 battery replacements a year comes up inconclusive at best.

I will say modern bikes with more electronic draws ~even while the bike is off~do seem to go through batteries faster, but modern sealed batteries last far longer than the old vented battery that people undermaintained and/or regularly over charged

So what does any of this 'prove", not a damn thing. Just like tires, chains/sprockets, brake pads or any other consumable, some people get more life out of their stuff than others, and some people will swear one product works great while others think its junk.

Buy a battery when it goes bad buy a new one.
Offline i honestly cant think of anyone ever replacing a battery ever on a car truck or motorcycle unless they

had other electrical problems or causes that killed a battery or

the vehicle was bought used or

the battery was very old or

they used a tender.

If a tender is what someone wants, more power to them. Ive heard of too many new batteries dying on them within very few years.

Caveat emptor..

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Im curious to hear from people wh o know several people who have used tenders...have they had new batteries die in 2-3 years? Because not only is that unacceptable but its worse than just starting the damn thing once every two weeks and letting it run for a bit.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts