Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to keep this short cause no one wants to really hear anyone elses probs. and since its the interweb and cryin on the interweb does no real good. But work sucks a phat left one right now and school is hardcore fawkin me to the point I couldn't damn focus on a midterm tonight and prolly failed that sum b!tch.


But anyways, after my midterm I got on the bike and rode for like an hour to and there is nothing that clears your head and calms you down like ridin.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could but I am seriously a newb. Tonight was actually only the second time I have been on the road with my bike. I am kinda afraid about riding with more experienced riders right now. Don't wanna get somewhere beyond my limits. Right now I haven't ventured more than like 5 miles from home. Just ride pretty much in a huge circle right now. Prolly after I take the MSF and have a decent amount of road time I definitely wanna cruise with you guys. But still my riding style is more relaxed and cruise rather than hit the twisties as fast as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,927 Posts
sukemecuke said:
I wish I could but I am seriously a newb. Tonight was actually only the second time I have been on the road with my bike. I am kinda afraid about riding with more experienced riders right now. Don't wanna get somewhere beyond my limits. Right now I haven't ventured more than like 5 miles from home. Just ride pretty much in a huge circle right now. Prolly after I take the MSF and have a decent amount of road time I definitely wanna cruise with you guys. But still my riding style is more relaxed and cruise rather than hit the twisties as fast as possible.
Dude, we can still take you out just to cruise around without hitting the twistys....I do that at night especially....just ride down Hillsborough or something...get on the highway for a few minutes...just a casual ride...
Just to meet up for a few is what we sometimes do...we're here for ya brotha!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
sukemecuke said:
I am kinda afraid about riding with more experienced riders right now. Don't wanna get somewhere beyond my limits.
I understand that. :beer They met up about 4 times before i said F it I'm coming too. Even when i went with 3 others I did my own pace and took the curves nice and easy. Whenever you feel comfortable you should come. :welcome

When is your MSF. I still need to take that class. BTW, did you buy all your gear yet?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah that actually sounds cool. I should prolly get a few more miles under my belt first before I head into a decent amount of traffic or highway speed. I don't know why I am soooo cautious but I am for some reason. I mean everytime I have been out(well only twice) I haven't run into any complications. However, I do find myself not looking as much as I should when turning or slowing down suddenly. Right now everything seems to fall into place naturally, so far. I don't have to think as much about shifting into a lower gear in a turn and keeping off the brake as much as possible in the turns. Tight turns are a little un-nerving right now. I am definitely not very smooth in and out of the turns.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
We're not ALWAYS balls to the wall man. Been a few times where we just went out to eat and chill....maybe ride around raleigh at a reasonable pace for a bit.

Come join us...atleast for a meal man. :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SnookayDCC said:
I understand that. :beer They met up about 4 times before i said F it I'm coming too. Even when i went with 3 others I did my own pace and took the curves nice and easy. Whenever you feel comfortable you should come. :welcome

When is your MSF. I still need to take that class. BTW, did you buy all your gear yet?
as far as gear I have bought all I am gonna buy. I have a pretty decent riding jacket and helmet. I don't even get on my bike unless both are on. Even if I am moving my bike from one parking spot to another.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TRaGiK said:
We're not ALWAYS balls to the wall man. Been a few times where we just went out to eat and chill....maybe ride around raleigh at a reasonable pace for a bit.

Come join us...atleast for a meal man. :)
I hear ya man I am down for that. I really need to ride more also, cause the reason I justified buying the bike, to the fiancee, was to cut down on cost of gas. My jeep was killing me so I am supposed to be riding it to work. However rush hour traffic is not something I wanna mess with right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
Kaz is correct. Night time or right before its completely dark would be a good time for you to hit the streets. Less idiots but still some idiots.

"however i do find myself not looking as much as i should when turning or slowing down" ... Not looking where? Behind you before a stop? Before turning do you come to a complete stop?
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
sukemecuke said:
I hear ya man I am down for that. I really need to ride more also, cause the reason I justified buying the bike, to the fiancee, was to cut down on cost of gas. My jeep was killing me so I am supposed to be riding it to work. However rush hour traffic is not something I wanna mess with right now.
Ride over in your cage then.

Hell, the first ever meet we had (Kazlab, Gixxer 42, Red_devil (i think), and me), all of us were in our cages.

Been a couple times recently that I've came in the cage as well.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SnookayDCC said:
I understand that. :beer They met up about 4 times before i said F it I'm coming too. Even when i went with 3 others I did my own pace and took the curves nice and easy. Whenever you feel comfortable you should come. :welcome

When is your MSF. I still need to take that class. BTW, did you buy all your gear yet?
Bumpy knuckles is working on when he can get me into a class. My schedule is nuts, so finding open weekends is rough. I am really set on taking the class mainly to learn proper technique, well and I got a lower insurance rate because I told them the Class was in the works. So they gave me the discount on the account that I got them a copy of the completion or whatever in a decent time period. Of course they didn't specify what a decent time period was.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SnookayDCC said:
Kaz is correct. Night time or right before its completely dark would be a good time for you to hit the streets. Less idiots but still some idiots.

"however i do find myself not looking as much as i should when turning or slowing down" ... Not looking where? Behind you before a stop? Before turning do you come to a complete stop?

that is the time I ride cause the traffic is really down at that point in time. And blue hairs and mini van drivers are normally at home tending to their own business. Not looking like I want to take a turn coming up and I don't slow down gradually as much as I prolly should since I can slow down wayyyyy faster than any car, and I don't look in my mirror to check to see how close someone is following me or what not. No I don't come to a complete stop when turning unless there is a stop sign. Stop lights need a little work also, I am worried I am gonna get run down cause I don't take off as fast. It takes me a second to get going.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another thing I am working on and finding it works like a freakin charm is looking where you want to go and not what you want to avoid. Your bike and body definitely go that way. I tried to do that alot tonight and hit a turn that I prolly shouldn't, it was pretty tight and I was going pretty fast. I didn't panic but the turn kinda came up faster than I thought so I shifted pretty quickly into a lower gear got on the brakes pretty quick before I got to the turn. Then watched the line I wanted to take and bingo bike went exactly where I was watching and it was pretty seem less. It felt great.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
sukemecuke said:
I don't slow down gradually as much as I prolly should since I can slow down wayyyyy faster than any car,
Don't be fooled on this. I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of cars (that are stock no less) that can slow down much faster than you or your bike.

Remember, cars have 4 tires, that have a contact patch (on tire) probably 8 times that of yours, per tire. AND, with ABS, all you gotta do is stand on the pedal.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TRaGiK said:
Don't be fooled on this. I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of cars (that are stock no less) that can slow down much faster than you or your bike.

Remember, cars have 4 tires, that have a contact patch (on tire) probably 8 times that of yours, per tire. AND, with ABS, all you gotta do is stand on the pedal.

really??? well I am not talking about a porsche or something like that. I just remember that was OVER emphasived in the damn DMV manual. Like everything was for turns, and stop lights, and blah blah blah. It was like remember you can slow down faster than passenger vehicles. I guess I am comparing my lifted jeep with larger tires can't slow down as fast as my bike.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
Well, the Jeep prally wouldn't. lol

How fast you can slow down is in relation to what type of brakes you have (ex500 is single disc/drum isn't it?), as well as to experience.

A later model Comaro would likely outbrake a ex500, as well as a few less "sporty" cars.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TRaGiK said:
Well, the Jeep prally wouldn't. lol

How fast you can slow down is in relation to what type of brakes you have (ex500 is single disc/drum isn't it?), as well as to experience.

A later model Comaro would likely outbrake a ex500, as well as a few less "sporty" cars.

yeah I believe that is right... well with upshifting and rollin back on the throttle and gettin on the brakes I slow down pretty damn fast. Well to me I do to others that are prolly used to bikes think I slow down normal or slow for a sport bike. This is all new to me thought, but I am loving every minute of it. I wish it wasn't gonna rain tomorrow I would like to head out after work later in the evening. I need to get another coat of paint on the lower cowling, that damn thing is taking me far to long to finish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
don't worry about how everyone else in the group rides...i'm a very new rider too...and i've been out with them a few times....always way in the back...lol...but it doesn't bother me to be last...i like it...then i know they aren't going to run me over or pass me in a curve or get aggravated when i don't accelerate enough in a curve....anyhow, they will keep you in sight or wait for you at every turn...just go out and enjoy yourself...many of the routes we've been on have very very little to NO traffic at all....and are not too twisty either....and ALWAYS look where you wanna go.....that's how i got bit in the ass.... :bitchslap looking at a little gravel i wanted to avoid...before i knew it the bike was upright and off the road....fuckin aye!

no one will look down on you for being new and being cautious and slow because you are new.....they've all been there before too! they just won't ride behind you!! :eek:nfloor and as soon as i can get back on i'll be back there to keep ya company.....lol....i'm hoping only a few more weeks.....

early in the am on the weekends is a good time to be out...most folks are still at the house before 10 it seems.....lazy bastards!! lol......

the only way to get experience is to go out and do it....esp on back country roads that you can just cruise along at your own comfy pace....it doesn't take long to get it all down if you just keep going over what you should be doing in your mind....even these guys who've been riding for awhile will tell you they still talk to themselves in their helmets......lol....

damn....do i talk this much too?!!
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top