Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin to give the ZZR a little more bottom end for stop and go. I have no need to do 175mph so I am willing to sacrifice up top for down low. I don't want it too agressive, just shift the torque curve a bit. What is recommended? +2 on the back sprocket? Will I be able to use the stock chain? Any brand better than the next?

Thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
+2 on the back sprocket is the way to go in my opinion.

Stock chain will work but you will shorten the stock wheelbase that can possibly have negative effects.

To keep the wheelbase the same include a new chain with 2 extra links.

Good luck with the gearing change!

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
or just -1 in the front and no new chain?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-1 front = +2 or +3 rear? Any disadvantage to dropping front teeth versus adding rear teeth? Strength? Bike only has 3000 miles on it so I'd like to keep the chain and do it the most cost effective way without sacrificing much reliability.

Will the Speedometer still read the same? I know its 5-8mph off stock but didn't know if a gearing change effected it like it does in a car.

Thanks for the replies so far.

·
Registered
139 Posts
stock chain will not fit +2 rear ... chain is not long nuff .. you either have to get a longer chain or -1 in front.. i put a +2 on rear and the chain will go on but it's way to tight

·
Registered
139 Posts
-1 front = +2 or +3 rear? Any disadvantage to dropping front teeth versus adding rear teeth? Strength? Bike only has 3000 miles on it so I'd like to keep the chain and do it the most cost effective way without sacrificing much reliability.

Will the Speedometer still read the same? I know its 5-8mph off stock but didn't know if a gearing change effected it like it does in a car.

Thanks for the replies so far.
the most cost efficient way to go is -1 in the front ... you can use stock chain and it's goin to run about 20 bucks for a front sprocket and it's like goin +3 in the rear

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey thanx. So will the speedo be affected in anyway?
no , but just to be curious how many miles are on the chains and sprockets now , if more than a 1000-1500 your better off with the new chain as well or it may cause some abnormal wear , I know how you feel wanting to keep it cheap sometimes the cheap now will cost you more in the long run , -1 front is about all you would want to do as the chain has to turn sharper on the smaller area sometimes it wants to bind , it also brings the chain closer to the swing arm so another reason to look at the rear as the sprocket to change , anyway best of luck on it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
stock chain will not fit +2 rear ... chain is not long nuff .. you either have to get a longer chain or -1 in front.. i put a +2 on rear and the chain will go on but it's way to tight
Are you sure about that? There is plenty of room to move the rear tire forward and with only two extra teeth its a very small adjustment.

·
Registered
694 Posts
no , but just to be curious how many miles are on the chains and sprockets now , if more than a 1000-1500 your better off with the new chain as well or it may cause some abnormal wear , I know how you feel wanting to keep it cheap sometimes the cheap now will cost you more in the long run , -1 front is about all you would want to do as the chain has to turn sharper on the smaller area sometimes it wants to bind , it also brings the chain closer to the swing arm so another reason to look at the rear as the sprocket to change , anyway best of luck on it.

UHH i put a new rear sprocket on @ 7500 miles, no issues @ all, i dont know where you are getting this from...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are you sure about that? There is plenty of room to move the rear tire forward and with only two extra teeth its a very small adjustment.
i tried putting a +2 on and the wheel had to be all the way up against the swingarm .... left no room at all for adjustment and the chain was tight

1 - 20 of 23 Posts