Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned this on here before, but now it's time to buy. I got my 2008 Aprilia Tuono over the summer and my only complaint with it is that the brakes feel like a light switch. There is very little stopping power when you first pull the lever, but when you pull a little more it brakes very hard. I would like to get a little more of a progressive feel out of my lever.

The bike currently has the stock Brembo sintered pads on it. I think if I change those I can change the braking characteristics of the bike. I'm looking at EBC or Galfer pads. My question is should I stay with sintered pads or use organics? I understand organics will give me more feel and be a little more progressive, but I don't want to lose a lot of braking power. Do you think aftermarket sintered pads will give me more feel without losing braking power?

On my old FZ 1 I completely overhauled the brake system with new pads and stainless steel lines. That time I use the Galfer HH sintered pads and was very happy with the results. However the Yamaha did not start out with a very good braking system or sintered pads. The Aprilia already has stainless steel lines, sintered pads, and overall just has higher quality braking components to begin with. I'm just wondering if the light switch character is in the calipers or master cylinder and changing the pads won't give me the desired results.

Any other recommendations on pads are welcome. I will also do a bleed of the front brakes when I change out the pads, any recommendations on a tool that is affordable and easy to use would be appreciated. I usually use a bag attached to the bleeder screw and just pump it by hand. But since I also have a hydraulic clutch now I figure I may as well get an actual tool for the job.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Sbs

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
My next pads will be SBS as well. I have tried Ferodo. They are excellent. I just wanted to try a new pad. :)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Organic pads might not be aggressive enough. According to the fine folks I spoke with at Galfer, they are one of the two suppliers of pads for Brembo. I like them, which means they are aggressive. I also really like EBC pads, because they are aggressive. My experience with Vesrah pads is that they are progressive but stop well. They sound like they be what you're looking for.

I haven't had many other brands in years. So, I won't comment.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found some SBS Street Excel sintered pads on Indysuperbikes for a decent price, but what are their advantages over other sintered pads? I've never heard of them before but they seem to be quality.

Tony, that does sound like what I'm looking for, but where do you buy Vesrah pads? I can only find their racing compounds on sportbiketrackgear.com.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Call STG and ask.

Another you can call is rider discount and see if they have any Carbon Lorain CL-51s floating around still.

They have a nice bite and decent feel I have a set now and spare for when these wear out. Of course the stock pads on the 675 were pretty good, but at $160 a set they can kiss my ass.

EBC HH sintered are what I used to always put on my speed triple, and the rotors lasted about 95,000 miles with the sintered pads on them.

:edit

The sintered iron pads have better heat than say a kevlar, but less than the carbon blends, they also work well at pretty low temps compred to the carbons that have to be hot before they really work right. I use the CL-51 because its more mild than a CL-55, the CL-55 have a HUGE difference in feel between the street (cold) and when you get them up to track hot. The CL-51s are enough for the track but happier at lower temperatures.

....they say sintered pads eat your rotor, but I've had numerous rotors last upwards of 60,000 miles with nothing but sintered pads on them.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
...Tony, that does sound like what I'm looking for, but where do you buy Vesrah pads? I can only find their racing compounds on sportbiketrackgear.com.
When I tried them, I bought my Vesrah brakes from Kurvy Girl, because she's GREAT to deal with. I checked her webpage and found them for $100 for both sides. KurveyGirl - Motorcycle Stuff: Dzus Fasteners, angled valve stems, Vesrah and More

Vesrah sells RJL's which are essentially a street pad that is performance-oriented enough that you can use them at the track to certain degree. Then there's different compounds of SRJL's which are more track-oriented. The page I posted above is for the RJL's.

Personally, I didn't like the RJL's because they much more linear than my preference. But that sounds like what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like Vesrah doesn't make any front pads for my bike, just the older Tuono and and newer Factory version with the 4 pad calipers, and not the 2 pad calipers like I have.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
When I tried them, I bought my Vesrah brakes from Kurvy Girl, because she's GREAT to deal with. I checked her webpage and found them for $100 for both sides. KurveyGirl - Motorcycle Stuff: Dzus Fasteners, angled valve stems, Vesrah and More

Vesrah sells RJL's which are essentially a street pad that is performance-oriented enough that you can use them at the track to certain degree. Then there's different compounds of SRJL's which are more track-oriented. The page I posted above is for the RJL's.

Personally, I didn't like the RJL's because they much more linear than my preference. But that sounds like what you're looking for.
That's kind of high. I can get SBS sintered HH pads for $79.90 both sides.

SBS Triumph Motorcycle Front Brake Pads - British Customs <---for my bike...and yes they are racing pads.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've got the same Ferodo Sintergrip ST pads. They work very well. Very easy to modulate and great stopping power. They do seem to work better with a little heat but they are still very good when cold.

Mine have developed a squeal when I just barely touch the brakes. But I changed the pads and the rotors at the same time so I can't be sure the pads are the cause.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The only pads not effected by water are sintered metal, organic will lose stopping ability in the wet.

I think you might try a Galfer ceramic HH pad, but no guarantee

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update, I wound up going with SBS Street Excel pads. I swapped them out and went for a 50 mile ride to start getting them bedded in. So far they have better modulation and a very strong bite. They aren't as strong as the OEM Brembo pads I pulled off there (But maybe that's just due to them not being fully bedded in yet.) but for a naked bike with not very much weight over the front tire, that's probably not a bad thing as I feel like there's still more than enough power there to lock it up.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
I really like the EBC sintered pads I put on my Street Triple. A little better feel than stock and good power. Performed great on the track as well.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't tried EBC yet, but I had Galfer Sintered on my FZ1 and really liked them, but they did not work well when cold at all, no feel and very little stopping power.

I rode to the Doctor's Office and then home from work this morning when it was about 20 degrees out. The SBS pads worked very well and consistently from start to finish, really liking these pads.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Just an update, I wound up going with SBS Street Excel pads. I swapped them out and went for a 50 mile ride to start getting them bedded in. So far they have better modulation and a very strong bite. They aren't as strong as the OEM Brembo pads I pulled off there (But maybe that's just due to them not being fully bedded in yet.) but for a naked bike with not very much weight over the front tire, that's probably not a bad thing as I feel like there's still more than enough power there to lock it up.
did you prep the rotors? if not the pads will never work like they're supposed to. you need to scuff the old pad materials off the rotors

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I lightly wet sanded the rotors with 180 grit sandpaper before using the new pads. They recommended 200 but 180 was the lightest I had on hand.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts