Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up one of these in the near future and I want to know a little about it.

any issues
top speed
aftermarket parts(get rid of the mud flap)
pipes
rejet

She likes this one over the EX500 and it's the one she has her mind set on and she is hard headed so fill me in on the bike if you know anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
they are basicly the same bikes. I think the ex500 is a little faster but not by much. The GS500F has updated looks and is fully flaired, and I think it is aircooled and not water cooled like the ex500 though from what I heard from reviews there isn't any issues with the GS500F overheating.

It just comes down to which one you like the looks of or you get a better deal on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
First off they are not the same bike at all what are you talking about? And, the top speed is 99.2 mph (lol?). the only thing the gs500 has goin for it is the looks but under the fairing its a far inferior bike compared to the ninja 500. but whatever your girl likes its up to her. oh yea and yea the ninja is water cooled and the gs is not.

·
Registered
426 Posts
TRocket said:
First off they are not the same bike at all what are you talking about? And, the top speed is 99.2 mph (lol?). the only thing the gs500 has goin for it is the looks but under the fairing its a far inferior bike compared to the ninja 500. but whatever your girl likes its up to her. oh yea and yea the ninja is water cooled and the gs is not.

Well excuse me

Ninja 500R

0 - 60 MPH 4.6 sec
1/4 Mile 13.36 sec @ 98.8 MPH
Top Speed 119 MPH

GS500F

0 - 60 MPH 5.7 sec
1/4 Mile 14.48 sec @ 90.23 MPH
Top Speed 105 MPH

damn I didn't realize how slow the GS500F actually was. It's about fast as my ninja 250 :rolleyes

Seeing as the ninja can do 0-60 in 5.5 secs 1/4th mile is in the 14s and top speed around 100mph. Damn!

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
The gs500f is the same as the gs500e, + fairings. Love the looks of the F, but the ex whoops up on it in every way... except for MAYBE handling.

But, if she likes it, let her get it. If she gets what she doesn't like, she'll likely not ride nearly as much and want to trade up to quickly.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Top speed sucks

·
Registered
209 Posts
hmmm. i bet i could look at 5 different sources and they would all say something different. i've heard 4.6 for 0-60 on the ninja 500 though. the 250 ninja is about 1 sec slower to 60. mcnews says the top speed the the gs500 is 99 tho. and they say 109 for ninja 500, which is weird, because ive had it up to 120 with it still slightly pulling. there are so many diff factors tho u can never tell. the test riders must have been 300+ lbs

·
Registered
968 Posts
The gs is a good bike and so is the EX. I ride a '91 EX and my SO rides a '98 GS. I ride the GS to work every now and again. Both bikes are easy to work on. The EX makes more power by about 10hp or so. The suspension isn't bad on the GS though. If you live in higher temps the Ninja is a plus but the GS is not a bad starter at all. The only problem with the '04 and higher (Ninja too) is the plastic can be expensive to replace.

The seat and the tank also seem preferred for shorter people (SO is 5'3" or so). I'm 5'10-5'11. I prefer the Ninja as far as fit.

Lastly she needs to pick something she is comfortable on. If she goes the GS and it's her first bike I'd go older and used. Let her work up to a GSXR or similar.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oni said:
The gs is a good bike and so is the EX. I ride a '91 EX and my SO rides a '98 GS. I ride the GS to work every now and again. Both bikes are easy to work on. The EX makes more power by about 10hp or so. The suspension isn't bad on the GS though. If you live in higher temps the Ninja is a plus but the GS is not a bad starter at all. The only problem with the '04 and higher (Ninja too) is the plastic can be expensive to replace.

The seat and the tank also seem preferred for shorter people (SO is 5'3" or so). I'm 5'10-5'11. I prefer the Ninja as far as fit.

Lastly she needs to pick something she is comfortable on. If she goes the GS and it's her first bike I'd go older and used. Let her work up to a GSXR or similar.

Over heating is not a problem in Alaska and used starter bikes are far and few between up here.

The local shop has a new GS on the floor and I live next door to a custom body shop so when she drops it,fixing it will only cost me the price of material.

·
Registered
968 Posts
alaska cajun said:
Over heating is not a problem in Alaska and used starter bikes are far and few between up here.

The local shop has a new GS on the floor and I live next door to a custom body shop so when she drops it,fixing it will only cost me the price of material.
Since you've got those things covered and she'd be happy with it sounds like a plan for her.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oni said:
Since you've got those things covered and she'd be happy with it sounds like a plan for her.

Yeah,she's pretty hiped about it.

She has plans for us to tour the lower 48 states next summer,something I would love to do,I just have to figure out how to pay for it and pay the bills for 3 months.

Poontang rules the world..........
:banana :urowned

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
TRocket said:
hmmm. i bet i could look at 5 different sources and they would all say something different. i've heard 4.6 for 0-60 on the ninja 500 though. the 250 ninja is about 1 sec slower to 60. mcnews says the top speed the the gs500 is 99 tho. and they say 109 for ninja 500, which is weird, because ive had it up to 120 with it still slightly pulling. there are so many diff factors tho u can never tell. the test riders must have been 300+ lbs
You're using the MCN article? No wonder you're so wrong about the GS500. Whoever wrote that article was either the stupidest literate person in the world, or didn't actually ride a GS500. Not only did their GS500F supposedly have a top speed lower than what I achieved on a less aerodynamic E, not only was the quarter mile time was half a second and 5 mph slower than I got on my E, not only was their reporting on the stock tires completely off, but they reported the redline was 2.5K rpm lower than it actually is. Whoever wrote that article should be laughed out of journalism forever.

My 90 GS500E saw 115 on the speedo and was still pulling, I'm fairly certain it would have done 120. The speedo was off by about 10%, so I figure it's top speed was around 105. My first and only time at the drag strip, I got it to run 14.2's at 92-93 mph. With an experienced racer and a good launch, I felt certain it would have done 13's (This comparison seems to back me up). The weak point in the handling is the front suspension, which is quite soft. With that said, I never felt that it was a problem, and regularly blasted through corners I was familiar with fast enough to scrape pegs. The ugly fender is just a hacksaw away from being gone (pics and directions ). The only thing I really didn't like about the bike was the vibration through the bars. As long as I wore gloves, it didn't really bother me, but when I ran to the store without them one day my hands fell asleep almost instantly. The seat on my 90 sucked, but they changed the seat and tail section in 01, so I have no idea what the seat on the F feels like.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
1 Posts
99 mph? you obvously know nothing about the GS, I personaly had mine (A stock 94) up to 120 (and im 6ft tall 180 lbs) and she still had a little left. Go smoke another one. (pole that is)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Why did you think it was a good idea post in a thread that has not had any activity for over 7 years?

I should probably say the same thing to myself.

·
Rider
101 Posts
Here's a list of the data from all the published road tests I've seen on the GS500/E/F bikes since 1989 and where it's from a GS/EX comparo the EX500 data is included. I've put my last 13 years and 170k miles on a 97 and a 02 GS500.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/jcp8832/GS500tests.jpg

I like them naked and if you smash up that pretty bodywork on the F model the GS is the easiest bike to convert from full fairing to naked. They're all the same underneath.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Jesus, this has to be the oldest Necro I have seen here

1 - 20 of 21 Posts