Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I decided to go for a ride Sunday since it was going to be such a nice day (82, mostly sunny). After 180 miles of mostly back roads and a 2 hour lunch at Hooter's watching some football, we headed back home. An hour into the ride, we were on a two lane asphalt road with trees on our side about 5 feet off the road. A squirrel ran across from left to right. I started to swerve, and instead of my life flashing in front of me, it was all of these damn threads on here about deer strikes, particularly comments saying "If in ain't b***** than _____, I'm going through it". Logic clicked in, I kept heading straight, getting ready ready for the impact. Luckily for the little rodent, logic clicked in his head too and he made a 180 so close to the tire that my fairing blocked the view of just how close he was. My wife had no idea what had occurred, and that our whole day could have been screwed over because of a squirrel, or more accurately, me wrecking because of one.

On a side note, :beer to the sportbike riders at the gas station at the 66/157 interchange, it was nice to see some friendly faces and :twofinger to the SB club riders at the Sonic who for the most part seemed to uppity to even talk to us. I have the fancy European bike dammit, I am supposed to be the snobby one. :)

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Good for you.
The only time I went down on the street many moons ago....there was a squirrel involved with good lean angle;he couldn't make up his mind which line he wanted to take and neither could I....I still hate squirrels.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Squirrels are the worst. So unpredictable. I guess that's why certain types are called "squirrelly kids". :)

·
Fool of the universe
1,311 Posts
They rip up my yard, tear up my herb garden and destroy my plants.

If one gets in my way... it better move... or else.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
My wife and I decided to go for a ride Sunday since it was going to be such a nice day (82, mostly sunny). After 180 miles of mostly back roads and a 2 hour lunch at Hooter's watching some football, we headed back home. An hour into the ride, we were on a two lane asphalt road with trees on our side about 5 feet off the road. A squirrel ran across from left to right. I started to swerve, and instead of my life flashing in front of me, it was all of these damn threads on here about deer strikes, particularly comments saying "If in ain't b***** than _____, I'm going through it". Logic clicked in, I kept heading straight, getting ready ready for the impact. Luckily for the little rodent, logic clicked in his head too and he made a 180 so close to the tire that my fairing blocked the view of just how close he was. My wife had no idea what had occurred, and that our whole day could have been screwed over because of a squirrel, or more accurately, me wrecking because of one.

On a side note, :beer to the sportbike riders at the gas station at the 66/157 interchange, it was nice to see some friendly faces and :twofinger to the SB club riders at the Sonic who for the most part seemed to uppity to even talk to us. I have the fancy European bike dammit, I am supposed to be the snobby one. :)
Glad the day turned out alright. Sunday was a gorgeous day wasn't it? I headed out towards Paris and then back by way of Bonham.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad the day turned out alright. Sunday was a gorgeous day wasn't it? I headed out towards Paris and then back by way of Bonham.
we went to Waco via SR-175/TX-158/TX-34/I-45/TX-31 and then back on I-35W/TX-66/TX-157/I-20/I-67/TX-75

our route

the only reason we didn't take a return path by Glen Rose is we had to be back for our son's hockey game at 5:30.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Squirrel? I keep the throttle or roll on if one is on the twist, weight on pegs, loose on bars. Treat him like a funny groove.

My dogs pick up on the dead squirrel scent right away.

Two up with the wife. Just great. We gotta have some two up experts on the site. All I know is that I have a hard time adjusting to the wife's weight, as the bike handles like total crap, unless on the slab. I two up w/her in emergencies ONLY, as she'd freak if a lady bug squashed on the screen.

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
i would avoid trying to swerve around large rodents/small animals such as a squirrel. i know 2 guys that have wrecked trying to emergency swerve around when you can run them over and as long as your ready for it, you should be ok

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
I had one run out in front of me recently and just kept straight tightened my legs on the tank loosened up on the bars and he sadly got out of my way:eek:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Clark: [a squirrel is loose in the house] Where is Eddie? He usually eats these goddamn things.

Catherine: Not recently, Clark, he read that squirrels were high in cholesterol.

[As Clark is trying to catch the loose squirrel]
Clark: Russ, go get the hammer.
Ellen: Clark, what do you need a hammer for?
Clark: I'm gonna catch it in the coat... And smack it with the hammer.
Ellen: You are not going to kill that squirrel in front of all these kids!
Clark: Well honey, what do you suggest?

:cheers

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
Its that darn animal conspiracy act. They are trying to take over the world!!! :)
Absolutely! What the OP didn't see were the other animals waiting to pounce after the suicide squirrel caused a wreck.:boink

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
i've ran over so many chipmunks at this one twisty road.

You hardly feel them, even at decent lean angles. lol

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
haha yea same thing with the chipmunks here, I think its flattering (no pun intended) that they want to see my bike that up close, I mean, I do clean it pretty well.

off topic kinda: the day I bought my kawi I was on my way home and a mother duck with 4 little ducklings were crossing the road in a turn, I thought I missed them all (I could only swerve so much seeing as how I had my brand new z in the back, and my truck is a 92 toyota, which as you can imagine handles like a ferrari) and when I looked back there was only 3 ducklings....I felt bad for about the next 5 mins till I took the bike off of the truck :)

atleast if you crashed you would only have lost your bike, it would have been my bike, truck and I think my brother was in there too haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts