Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my first sunday morning cruise, i was stopped at a light for a left turn with another left turn lane. i was on the outside one. there was a big white excursion in the left turn next to me. the woman inside obviously didnt look like she saw me, so when we were waiting, i revved the engine a few times to get her attention...dunno if she actually saw me or what, i even got next to her window and tried to make eye contact...she never did, so i decided to stay back a little till i made the turn

great decision cuz the dumb bitch went right into my lane on the left turn

however, i know theres gunna be times when a bunch of people are gunna be doin that crap in succession- how do you all deal with 2 left/right turn lanes next to each other? i dont wanna get run over by a dumbass in an SUV who just wants to be safe in their bigass tank while not caring about safety of other people, but i also dont wanna hold traffic up behind me too much or do other dangerous things.

but yah- whats the best way to deal with those dumbasses?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well...you could always knock on their door. :) Seriously though, you handled that exactly like you should. Act like they don't frking know you're there.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I always keep my eye on the other lane when there are two turning lanes because half of the time someone will come into your lane whether you are in a bike or a car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah with my car i would generally do a standoff with the asshole...id stay in my lane and if he comes over and hits me, then he hits me and f***er will pay for any damages done on the car...most of the time they get scared shitless and go back into their lane...i wouldnt try it with people who look like they dont have insurance or any money...i wouldnt be botherd bout getting hit in a car at that speed since itd only be a fender bender

but a bike is totally different and theres no winning on the bike when getting hit at any speed so i gotta find a new way to deal with those people and is generally what ive been wondering how u ppl deal with it...what if someone is coming over and theres nowhere to move? is it safer to just straighten up and slow down and stop if needed?

i know ill eventually figure out strategies for dealing with asshole drivers on a bike...with the car id always hold my ground like i said and i know i cant do that on 2 wheels lol

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Get ahead or drop behind. Another good reason not to stay next to anything for any length of time.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think choosing the inside lane (sometimes there are two right turn lanes on huge roads) can help with this. I think a lot of times people drift over into the other lane just to have a lazier line. You still have to pay attention, but I see a lot less of people cutting sharper into the inside lane than I do of people being lazy and drifting into the outside lane.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
They can't see you and you have to ride like that.

Always postion yourself so that no matter what dumb thing they do,it won't effect you.

Even if you have to wait for them to finnish being stupid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sadly enough, most people really aren't competent enough to drive the vehicles they own. Most of the people driving SUV's should be driving Yugo's IMO. I would guess (hope) that the person in the other car didn't drift into your lane so much because they didn't know you were there, but rather because they were so afraid of hitting the median which was, in fact, a good 4 feet from their left side. They just couldn't see it when sitting 18 feet up in the air in their Excursion. :)

But regardless of their intentions, the fact remains that you were put in an uncomfortable situation. 2 things to consider and to hopefully make you slightly more comfortable. 1 is that you're MUCH smaller than a car. With two lanes there, that Monstrosity, I'm sorry, Excursion, can comfortably take up 1.75 lanes (and probably will) and still not run you over. But that's probably not a place you want to be. :) So either slow down and let them get by, or accellerate and get out of their way.

Being that we're all crotch rocket riders here, I personally generally select the accellerate option. :) But only do what you feel confident doing. (If you don't feel comfortable accellerating in a turn, then DON'T! :) )

·
Registered
981 Posts
if that happened to me, id hang back just like u did. but id follow them and at the next redlight i catch next to them, id put my bike on the stand go over to their door, knock on it, flip up my visor and tell them to watch the fuck out for people in the other lane when they make left turns. then just get back on my bike and wait for the green.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If I am sitting at a light like that with someone I don't think knows I am there sitting next to me, I will pull farther forward (but not into the intersection!). They are more likely to see someone forward than to the side. Also, when the light turns green, I'll usually look quickly to be sure no one is running the light and then accelerate away through the turn.

·
Registered
489 Posts
BuRn__ said:
if that happened to me, id hang back just like u did. but id follow them and at the next redlight i catch next to them, id put my bike on the stand go over to their door, knock on it, flip up my visor and tell them to watch the fuck out for people in the other lane when they make left turns. then just get back on my bike and wait for the green.
Might get your ass kicked or get charged w/ road rage doing something like that. I know it sounds cool, but it's not a wise move if you ask me.

·
Registered
522 Posts
just ride defensively, that was a good move on your part.

·
Registered
981 Posts
well i just had a left-turn experience tonite going to work...
the entrance to my jobsite is mostly industrial, so people do well above 50mph (no posted speed limit). i was crusing about 30 getting ready to turn. i double pump my brake like b4 i start braking, and turn on my left signal. i look in my mirror over my shoulder and see a car barreling down on me. thinking he's gonna go around to the right cuz im turning left i start to initialte the turn. i look over and here he comes on my left side!! so i slam my brakes as he goes flying by my on the left side doing about 45-50mph literally inches from the front of my bike. i throw my hand up as a "wtf!?!" gesture just as i see all 3 of his kids in the backseat of his impala jump up and look out the back window at me.
so i pull into the parking area and decide, what the hell, imma see where this guy goes. but by the time i get turned around and out onto the road, there was 2-3 turnoff where he could have gone. going as fast as he was, he was probably long gone.
shook me up for about an hour at work. and i do data entry, so needless to say i didnt accomplish shit until my nerves calmed back down.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Always assume that you're invisible to other drivers. People "see" you but for some people it doesn't register in their brain that you're there.

I worry more about riding on single lane highways. The people coming towards you and turning left in front of you is a real danger. If I'm riding and I see someone stopped and about to turn I'll always flash my brights a couple of times to makes sure they see me. It could potentually piss them off but screw em... it's all about staying alive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts