Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed the other day that my triple tree has an LED on it. What is that for? Also the cap outlined with small holes (center of triple tree under handle bar) is loose, whatr type of tool do I need to tighten it?

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
to tighten the center nut you need a spanner socket or whatever the hell they are called.

Triumph sells them for like a million dollars each. I made one by grinding down a cheap socket that i bought.

To tighten it, you MUST have all the weight off the forks. That means jacking the bike up from the engine or frame. Otherwise it gets pinched and you'll just destroy that nut.

The LED is part of the Triumph factory alarm system. It blinks when the alarm is on. If you do not have the factory alarm, it does absolutely nothing.

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
went to the dealer today, and they tightened the nut for a 12 pk of coke. Only thing is... it was tightened while on the kick stand. I looked up the price for that tool and it is $50. I noticed it only has 2 prongs instead of six. What size socket did you use to make the tool?
thanks

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Ummm.... i can't really remember. I think it was 1 1/4". Maybe 1 1/8"

I just took the nut into the store and matched it up. You can tighten it down while on the kickstand, but the torque setting will be WAY off. It is VERY hard to move because it gets pinched. You need to have all the weight off to torque it properly.

And the one i made only has two prongs in it, you don't need all 6. It would be nice, but the reality is that only 2 of them would make contact anyways, unless it was VERY precision ground. The other prongs would LOOK like they were touching, but would have a couple micrometers of an air gap between them. (yes, i'm THAT big of a nerd)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts