Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on taking my bike to college with me this upcoming semester but I am worried about damage due to weather. As far as I know none of the motorcycle parking areas are covered. I would obviously bring the bike back home before winter, but it will be there during the fall and spring. Would it be wise to invest in a cover? Or will it just be an inconvience since I would have to take it up to my dorm everytime I want to ride. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Buy an all weather/outdoor cover. That won't be perfect but it will surely help out.

The main thing is to try and keep your chain dry/clean.

Also, talk to your school about parking decks because I know at my school all of the parking decks had spaces for motorcycles.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
+1 on a cover. It might also deter theft. You could fold the cover up and bungee net it to the rear seat or something while you ride. Or lock it to a post while you're gone which is where you bike should be locked when parked and covered. Do get a lock for the cover as well. Damn thieves will take anything that isn't nailed down.

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
Great Question looking forward to more answers...

Ray, care to explain the cover lock any further? Does it lock the cover to the bike or to a stationary object i.e pole?

I would assume that water would only speed up the wear and tear process, but what about water getting into the exhaust? The chain is understandable b/c you don't want it to rust...outside of that I can't imagine anymore damage on the bike....some people ride in the rain...some even race

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I am planning on taking my bike to college with me this upcoming semester but I am worried about damage due to weather. As far as I know none of the motorcycle parking areas are covered. I would obviously bring the bike back home before winter, but it will be there during the fall and spring. Would it be wise to invest in a cover? Or will it just be an inconvience since I would have to take it up to my dorm everytime I want to ride. Thanks for any help.

Dont those little 250's have a center stand, if so use it. A full cover will be a pain in the butt to haul around, you can get those little Dow traveler Half covers. They are really a pos, but they have the function of some weather protection, and fiddler protection. Including fold very small and easy to carry around.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
+1 on the cover.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A cover really does protect a bike pretty well from rain and UV. If dealing with the cover becomes a pain, you could at least just use it when rain is forecast.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
On the other hand, if you're worried about theft, then I would actually suggest not to get a cover, as I always see people with bikes with covers miraculously stop using them after a few weeks.

Don't worry about the weather. Bikes are made to be outside, and as such, you won't need to worry about water getting into any electronics from rain or anything. High temperatures won't melt anything either. Just please be sure to wash and wax your bike every three weeks (minimum, once a month), as this will be the biggest deterrent from a bike suffering from weathering. Proper chain maintenance should also be a must for you, along with parking it where people won't be walking by it as often, as the biggest chance for getting it scratched is having someone try to look all cool by trying out your bike and accidentally dropping or scratching it.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Like mentioned... keep an eye on your chain if you keep it outside, because it will rust.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Better buy a Phantom tracking system for it. That way WHEN it gets stolen... you can have it back in a couple of hours.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
...Ray, care to explain the cover lock any further? Does it lock the cover to the bike or to a stationary object i.e pole?...
Most covers come with grommets in the bottom on either side for a lock. The lock is simply a cable lock that will tighten the cover around the bottom of the bike, keep it from blowing off, and hopefully discourage theft of the cover.

If I were going to leave a bike outside for any length of time, I'd park next to a sturdy pole and secure the bike to the pole with a hardened chain and lock. Lock the cover to the chain of something. The huge chain could be left on the pole while you were out riding unless you're going somewhere that also needs that type of security.

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
Gotcha...

I've seen the locking covers before now that you explained them.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
My bikes have always been feral. They live outside in the driveway, since the garage is full of an immobile garage ornament. I ride the bike nearly every day, so it isn't like it stays dry anyway. The brake fluid goes black fairly quickly due to UV. I need to cover the master cylinder reservoir, but otherwise, it is fine. The driveway isn't a high traffic place where theft is likely, and you can't see the bike from the street. If it had to live on the street, I would consider all kinds of chains, covers, etc. I probably wouldn't have bought a 675, either.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have an o1 gsxr 600 and i stored it in side for three years with out a problem. I moved out and had to leave it outside and with in a week the igniton switch went bad. So yea the electronics can get screwed up by tha rain. Now i got a cover and I use it and it keeps out tha rain pretty good. good luck with school bro!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts