Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking at suits. from what i found A* and joe rocket are 1.2 to 1.4 mm. Ive been told vanson are thicker. barnacle bills i think were 3 to 4 oz thickness. how many mm would that equate to?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have no idea but the J Rocket piece I just picked up is 1.2mm Pittards ceramic infused leather, reported to last longer on pavement than thicker leather. Check out the type of leather and all the rest, not just the thickness. Still, A* by reputation is one of the best it seems. I've always heard good things about Vanson.
And I've read that kangaroo leather is best of all.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
Vanson jackets/leathers are thick and do take awhile to break in, great quality stuff but it does weigh abit more too.

·
Gap runner
800 Posts
Tsornin said:
Yeah is kangaroo better than cowhide for the same thickness?

Kangaroo does have more abrasion resistance in comparison, but it's also more expensive and harder to find a variety of apparel made with it.

Vanson is generally recognised as some of the best stuff made, but once again, that quality comes at a nice premium!

·
Moto GP Champion
505 Posts
Just some trivia: you can't buy Roo leather products in Cali and New York.

·
old member
13,079 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
jacknorris said:
i'm looking at suits. from what i found A* and joe rocket are 1.2 to 1.4 mm. Ive been told vanson are thicker. barnacle bills i think were 3 to 4 oz thickness. how many mm would that equate to?
Not sure about suits, but I'm looking at buying a vanson jacket. I think it's 1.5mm thick.

·
cheekybeast
1,557 Posts
jacknorris said:
i found A* and joe rocket are 1.2 to 1.4 mm. Ive been told vanson are thicker. barnacle bills i think were 3 to 4 oz thickness.

Did you just measure distance with a unit of volume?

·
Moto GP Champion
505 Posts
cheekybeast said:
Did you just measure distance with a unit of volume?

When BB says he uses 3-4 oz weight material it means so many ounces per sq foot.

So if you want to do the math you can find out how many mils thick it is. I don't feel like doing it so your on your own there.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
jacknorris said:
I never heard of using "oz" as a measure for thickness. I did read it on the site, it's rather confusing because other manufacturers (or their vendors) are using "mm".

·
Moto GP Champion
505 Posts
Just googled this up for you:

Thickness or Weight – Leather is usually measured in terms of ounces. One ounce equals 1/64th of an inch thickness. Thus, a weight of 7 to 8 oz. means the leather is 7/64th to 8/64th of an inch thickness. In an effort to make leather a uniform thickness, wet hides are run through a splitting machine. However, each animal is different and there is always a slight thickness variation throughout the hide. This is why leathers are usually shown with a range of thickness, such as, 4 to 5 oz., 6 to 7 oz., etc.

·
Moto GP Champion
505 Posts
So even though I said I wouldn't do it here it is:

3oz weight leather is 1.2mm
4oz weight leather is 1.5mm

So BB's is thicker.

·
Registered
725 Posts
cheekybeast said:
ah that makes sense. thanks for the info, it just seemed funny to me when I first read it; kinda like "I live 6 quarts away from your house" HAHAHAHHA

If you owned an RX-7 that would make total sense.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
cyrilgrey said:
or a harley :lao

For what it's worth, thickness is not the all important standard of leather quality... personally in order of quality, best to worst, i'd list them as Vanson, Alpinestars, Joe Rocket. Vanson is some of the best stuff out there. Alpinestars is a great bang for the buck, I've bought alot of their stuff. Joe Rocket, for the most part is crap unless you buy their really high end stuff.

They also have three different fitment types. Vanson is typically for a stocky build but can be custom sized. Alpinestars is usually a tall & lean cut. Joe Rocket is somewhere in between.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
cyrilgrey said:

lol

:lao

·
Banned
420 Posts
What's more important is how densely the fibers are packed. More fibers and aligned fibers offer better protection. Some places will cut any part from any part of the hide. GOOD leathers will have certain key parts cut from the strongest part of the hide, and other parts (like the accents near the pockets or something) cut from the parts with less dense and well aligned fibers. These less protective areas usually stretch more as well, so they are useful for some things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts