Sport Bikes banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I have to agree with Ghoti on this. Even if you're not using it in a homophobic way, that's how it sounds to those of us who are homosexuals. I don't know about others, but I've been subjected to so much hate (and sometimes violence), from people who are homophobic, that it gets me down any time someone starts calling something gay, or saying this thread is a fag, etc. Sometimes, you have to think less about what you actually mean, and more about how your readers will perceive your words.
not to trample on your experiances or make light of them- cause I know being subjected to such animosity over something you feel so strongly about can be brutal.

but using the word gay is a pretty common thing to desrcibe a miriad of items the user finds unacceptable. And I have never had any of my gay friends say anything about it- and some of them were WAY to TMI over the top kind of people.

I'm sorry you don't really like it- but there is a point- where you have to get over it- because NOT EVERYONE HATES YOU and you can't go through your life acting like everyone does.

I had a black friend that was like that... we were both minorities- and he was more racist than almost anyone I know. Walked away from someone he loved very dearly because she was white- and he couldn't get away from the racial stigma.

But shocker- not nearly as many people cared as he thought.

And actually- describing leather pants- in texas- using the word gay- would be COMPLETELY appropriate- seeing as how most people that he is refering to being judgemental- would say- yeah he must be gay. as in homosexual.

I'm just saying- sometimes you gotta let it go because people have their own shit to worry about- and we typically aren't consumed with hating an one group of people.

plus- this board does a pretty good job of modulating extreme hostile views through peer pressure. we are allowed to have opinoins- but typically when someone crosses the line- the board as a whole will say so.

and welcome to SBN :)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I don't get how the 'gay' thing even started; in regards to using it as an adjective or adverb. Look at the 'different' sexual affiliations, sexual deviations or deviancy. When have you ever heard

"Man, those pants look really bi-sexual."
"Man, those pants look really asexual."
"Man, those pants look like something a pederast would where."
"Man, those pants look like something a transvestite would where."
"Man, those pants look like something a necrophiliac would where."

So...why did 'gay' stick? I always cringe when I hear gay used as a descriptor. I say nothing about it, but it's just IQ points tacked off of that person, to me. I'm sure I'm wrong to take an ignorant nurse with a 140 IQ and drop her down to 'normal' levels in my head because of describing everything as 'gay' but that's me. Just like their choice of words for shit they don't like is them. I just think it's unfortunate. The English language is vast. There's MUCH better adjectives/adverbs/verbs for all of the shit that people gay than..."That's gay."

·
Registered
273 Posts
but using the word gay is a pretty common thing to desrcibe a miriad of items the user finds unacceptable. And I have never had any of my gay friends say anything about it- and some of them were WAY to TMI over the top kind of people.
and welcome to SBN :)
I can actually agree with you, that it's so common you have to overlook it. I didn't really start to get annoyed till about the 6th or 7th post in a row using such language. But thanks for the welcome!

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Akumu said:
:eek:nfloor

I don't really know why, but this made me really laugh...

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I don't get how the 'gay' thing even started; in regards to using it as an adjective or adverb.
excellant question

LMAO- that sir- is quiet funny.

Just like their choice of words for shit they don't like is them. I just think it's unfortunate. The English language is vast. There's MUCH better adjectives/adverbs/verbs for all of the shit that people gay than..."That's gay."
what really makes me chuckle about this part of your post is you used the word "shit" twice- and people tell me all the time- you are so smart and you have such an excellant grasp of the english language... why is it that most of the time- you can't put together a sentence without half of them being the word "FUCK"

made me chuckle- because it is a big language- with a plethora of really cool words ... or as my friend would say " a bountiful amount"

but I agree- its a vastly undersued language. (someone said recalcitrent the other day in a sentence- I was so excited... and vapid... thats a good one too)

I can actually agree with you, that it's so common you have to overlook it. I didn't really start to get annoyed till about the 6th or 7th post in a row using such language. But thanks for the welcome!
lol- well we have this emoticon :deadhorse for a reason- lots of things get hashed over and over and over again- often times by the same people in the same pages- or within days/hours of each other.

its sad- but tis the nature of the beast!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Okay, wore the pants on a long distance twistie fest. Holy moly, who cares what they look like - no more flapping cuffs, excellent fit, built in knee and shin armor, and didn't even sweat on the entire 8 hr ride (got up to 85F).

Then I stopped at the motorcycle bar for a hamburger, like 70 harleys, 30 goldwings, and one sportbike. I walked in and no seemed to care, but this one balding 30-somethin harley dude did made saucer eyes at my pants. Everyone had jeans but me, told ya Texas has a dress code, not even any leather harley pants or chaps.

Well, I talked to the sportbike guy, but even he had jeans and just a mesh jacket - you see, I told you I would be the oddball - but, I really don't care, I love my robo-pants and sportbike jacket, I really feel this is the correct outfit for the kind of risky riding we do, the jeans were just an attempt to avoid negative attention - but, that has never really been my style anyway, I have always been an independent person, so the pants feel right at home.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I'm not gay myself, but thank you Jennagir001 for getting the point I was trying to make. Ignore max384, SlayingElliott and tom10167; they're just being trolls.
Whenever I say something is gay I'm being ironic about it. Calling something gay and meaning it is stupid(retarded? :) ) past the age of thirteen.

That said, I completely agree with your post.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd look like a douchebag with a rashed up leg I suppose.

Who cares what they think?
I went down a couple of weeks ago.. .wearing jeans over my slacks (a standard bit of attire for me riding to work)

Although the jeans did not tear or rip, I got a small (quarter-sized) bit of road rash on my knee... it sucked... and is still trying to heal up.

Although I may wear pants again, my goal is set on getting some overpants like the ones that were posted here.

IMO - proper gear = bad ass... (unless you're wearing pink leathers or something) ;)

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
IMO - proper gear = bad ass... (unless you're wearing pink leathers or something) ;)
I always thought so.

And once I got past the big head factor of my helmet- I though I was pretty badass.

too bad thinking it doesn't make it so- but you know- I can dream :)

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
definitly look more professional and like you take your hobby seriously if you wear all your gear.

(I am an ATGATT kinda person)

and I think people who don't wear their gear- look ridiculous. :)

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Items of clothing don't look "gay". That word is one of the most mis-used in the English language. Gay is a sexual orientation, not an attribute that inanimate objects can assume.

Anyway, riding pants are clearly activity-specific, akin to football or running shorts. You won't care how they look if/when you have a spill and they literally save your ass.
Your posts are :gay. I don't know (or care) about you. And since *you* disrupted the point of the thread by getting on your homo-etymological high horse, it's pretty funny that you then start calling people trolls for responding.

Insanely Good Sense (Season 13, Episode 12) - Video Clips - South Park Studios

KeS

·
Registered
185 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Bonnie258 You win this weeks thread revival contest! Impressive find, over 9 years since it was last responded to. 👏;)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts