Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I live in Texas, and there seems to be very specific attire that males are allowed to wear, but once you cross that line you become a douchebag or weirdo.

But, recently I have been concerned about the weak point in my gear, pants. I ride in jeans so as to not attract too much attention, but finally got some track style leather pants - OMG - they do kinda look gay. But, I am more interested in safety, so guess I will just ride real fast when the truck load of Rednecks come a hollerin'.

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Honestly, the reason I wear jeans around town is less about looking like Richard Simmons and more about it being a pain in the ass. I do however acknowledge and accept the risks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Items of clothing don't look "gay". That word is one of the most mis-used in the English language. Gay is a sexual orientation, not an attribute that inanimate objects can assume.

Anyway, riding pants are clearly activity-specific, akin to football or running shorts. You won't care how they look if/when you have a spill and they literally save your ass.

·
oops...
422 Posts
Whenever I ride with jeans on I throw these on underneath. I like them and they aren't too expensive for an extra level of protection when your running around town doing errands or something.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I wear these leather overpants. They're a bit baggy, which, as I understand it, cuts down on the effectiveness somewhat, but they look pretty cool IMO. In fact, when I was coming into school the other day, one of the girls in my class actually told me I look like a badass with them on. I'm definitely not a badass, so I took it as a compliment! :D

Icon Automag Leather Overpant - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Items of clothing don't look "gay". That word is one of the most mis-used in the English language. Gay is a sexual orientation, not an attribute that inanimate objects can assume.

Anyway, riding pants are clearly activity-specific, akin to football or running shorts. You won't care how they look if/when you have a spill and they literally save your ass.
Oh yeah? I defy you to describe this as anything but gay. :p

Oh and this inanimate sign is pretty gay too:

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Do you look like one of these guys? If not, don't worry about it. :giggle

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oh yeah? I defy you to describe this as anything but gay. :p

Oh and this inanimate sign is pretty gay too:

That shirt is suggestive of homosexuality, but is not gay in itself. A wearer of it is likely to be gay, but the shirt is not. Again, "gay" is meant to describe living things attracted to the same sex.

And that sign is just funny in a creepy way due to the man's expression and eagerness to splash the cash, although I'm fairly certain it is not sexual. So not gay either.

I do see your point though. That first one is quite unambiguous.

To get back on topic:

I wear these leather overpants. They're a bit baggy, which, as I understand it, cuts down on the effectiveness somewhat, but they look pretty cool IMO. In fact, when I was coming into school the other day, one of the girls in my class actually told me I look like a badass with them on. I'm definitely not a badass, so I took it as a compliment! :D

Icon Automag Leather Overpant - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
I looked at the Icon overpants too. I like them, but not even in the dead of winter could I wear those and not be hot.

To the OP, if you want something for everyday riding, I imagine those would be a good option. I think they're a matte black, so they lessen the "leather daddy" association, plus you just unzip them when you get to your destination and you have your regular jeans. Then again you are in Texas, so it might be a touch hot. But if you can handle the heat, it might be worth considering.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Leather all the way.

What is really weird is that once a month quick spin when I have on jeans and feel naked. The tank feels different, the way I move is different, just doesn't feel right to me. Same with my Sidi boots. I've gotten so used to them that not wearing them feels wrong.

Don't care what others think. I prefer to have that extra protection.

edit: yeah I get hot, but I've gotten used to that as well. Under armor makes all the difference.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
That shirt is suggestive of homosexuality, but is not gay in itself. A wearer of it is likely to be gay, but the shirt is not. Again, "gay" is meant to describe living things attracted to the same sex.

And that sign is just funny in a creepy way due to the man's expression and eagerness to splash the cash, although I'm fairly certain it is not sexual. So not gay either.

I do see your point though. That first one is quite unambiguous.
Dude. First- don't be so uptight.

Second, the word "gay" was originally used to describe things that were "happy, carefree, or bright and showy".

Not until the late 19th and early 20th century did it come to describe homosexuals. And why was this? Because they were literally often times "gay". Bright, showy, happy, etc, etc... think of richard simmons.

It is also an accepted usage to describe things as "stupid or rubbish"... this definition has NO homosexual connotation, and many of my gay friends used to give me shit about it... but after I finally convinced them that ANYONE calling something "gay" does not actually mean anything against homosexuals- they let me have it. Now if you are calling something "f**gish" or whatever... THAT is crossing a line.

In this context, though- leather pants are quite literally "bright and showy" and fall under the original definition of the word gay, which dates back to the 15th century.

So get off your high horse and learn to deal with modern vernacular. Nobody here hates homosexuals.

As to keeping things on topic- leather pants on a dedicated ride are one thing. leather pants while running around town are AWFUL. Hot, sticky, and a pain to get in and out of... you have to change into other pants you bring along if you want to hang out anywhere while you're out, etc, etc.

At speeds around town, the average crash happens at 35mph. Textile overpants with armor are MORE than adequate for the average street crash- and any impact that happens (get hit by car, slide into street sign, etc, etc) is not going to have a different outcome if you are wearing textile instead of leather.

Textile overpants, leather jacket and gloves FTW.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am gonna wear the pants, no doubt. But, people round here are really fixated on a certain look in some circles - they got this whole accordian, ball splitter, wrangler jeans look going - got to have the white starched button down shirt and boots to complete the look. I mean, I wear skate clothing half the time, I really don't fit in clothes-wise, and I really don't care. But, the pants are a bit over the top even for me, in the circles I hang with. So, yeah, I am gonna take some razzing, that's a guarantee.

But, you gotta admit, there is a stigma attached with a man wearing tight leather pants, it just looks strange, even if it is the appropriate gear for sportbikes - just don't stray too far from the bike while wearing them, I suppose.

And, no, me and my friends are not homophobes - we really don't care about that - we just don't like political correctness and still use the term 'gay' to describe something as stoopid or not normal. We would always avoid the term if it offended anyone, we just use it amongst ourselves; I will refrain from the term on this site if that is the standard (although, I still think it's silly and political correctness to get upset about it).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dude. First- don't be so uptight.

Second, the word "gay" was originally used to describe things that were "happy, carefree, or bright and showy".

Not until the late 19th and early 20th century did it come to describe homosexuals. And why was this? Because they were literally often times "gay". Bright, showy, happy, etc, etc... think of richard simmons.

It is also an accepted usage to describe things as "stupid or rubbish"... this definition has NO homosexual connotation, and many of my gay friends used to give me shit about it... but after I finally convinced them that ANYONE calling something "gay" does not actually mean anything against homosexuals- they let me have it. Now if you are calling something "f**gish" or whatever... THAT is crossing a line.

In this context, though- leather pants are quite literally "bright and showy" and fall under the original definition of the word gay, which dates back to the 15th century.

So get off your high horse and learn to deal with modern vernacular. Nobody here hates homosexuals.
I never said anyone here hates homosexuals. I know how to deal with modern vernacular. My issue with the particular usage you just described is that it is rooted in homophobia. However, that isn't the meaning the OP intended. As I read it, he intended it to denote "suggestive of homosexuality," which in this case is inaccurate.

Also, the "bright and showy" meaning of the word is dated, so it's irrelevant to cite it. Maybe you should review modern vernacular.

Also, it is unacceptable in many circles to use "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" or "rubbish".

And, no, me and my friends are not homophobes - we really don't care about that - we just don't like political correctness and still use the term 'gay' to describe something as stoopid or not normal. We would always avoid the term if it offended anyone, we just use it amongst ourselves; I will refrain from the term on this site if that is the standard (although, I still think it's silly and political correctness to get upset about it).
Roadtrip, the typical usage on this board is the same as the one you and your friends use. Thanks for being considerate though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have to agree with Ghoti on this. Even if you're not using it in a homophobic way, that's how it sounds to those of us who are homosexuals. I don't know about others, but I've been subjected to so much hate (and sometimes violence), from people who are homophobic, that it gets me down any time someone starts calling something gay, or saying this thread is a fag, etc. Sometimes, you have to think less about what you actually mean, and more about how your readers will perceive your words.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm not gay myself, but thank you Jennagir001 for getting the point I was trying to make. Ignore max384, SlayingElliott and tom10167; they're just being trolls.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
The people wearing the stranglers are just jealous that you can get your leg over a bike...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts